Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » ISD design mistakes? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ISD design mistakes?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quantum Torpedoes? So you're shooting Plancks?

I'll get me coat.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't he need micro-torpedos for that.

Seriously micro-torpedos.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an official schematic of the ISD clearly labeling the domes as shield generators.
http://3do.jediknight.net/dcm/misc/isd.gif

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also shows where the ship's McDonalds is located as well as pointing out that a lot of the detailing on the ship is "meaningless".

Although, I do giggle at the "diesel fuel" and "sharp end" notes. It's a cute drawing, overall.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have my special CD edition of TIE Fighter but I CAN'T FREAKIN' PLAY IT ON MY COMPUTER!

Well, why not? Works fine in XP, with a small amount of finagling. You just have to use the right compatability mode and copy just the right file from the CD onto your hard drive.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I picked up the 1994 CD edition of X-Wing the other day, and it runs without so much as a hitch under Windows 2000, bizarrely enough.)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I still have my special CD edition of TIE Fighter but I CAN'T FREAKIN' PLAY IT ON MY COMPUTER!

Well, why not? Works fine in XP, with a small amount of finagling. You just have to use the right compatability mode and copy just the right file from the CD onto your hard drive.

Care to educate me? I can't remember how far I got with it the last time, but I think I was able to get in but there was no sound, or the actual flight part wouldn't start, or something. I may have to try this again.

B.J.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1994 X-Wing in Windows2000? Really?
I can't even get Rogue Squadron to work.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rogue Squadron worked fine on XP for me when I was playing it last year...

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are DOS emulators about.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes...we must be on guard.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I don't remember specifically how I got Tie Fighter running. It's been over a year. But I remember it involving compatability mode and copying a particular file or two...

*looks around*

Or you could just use this .

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen that. I have also since discovered that there are two different versions of the tie fighter collector's edition cd. The above is for the version created for Windows 95. Mine is the strictly DOS version.

I tried installing and running it last night, and everything runs perfectly except the sound and joystick, neither of which I can get working. (Remember that ASCII text sound setup screen?) I also tried using DOSBox, but it ran much worse. The joystick worked, but there was no sound, and the framerate was about 1 per second.

B.J.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"X-Wing: Alliance" can play in 1024x768, after I'd finished it I couldn't go back to TIE Fighter and 640x480, no way.

I still have my B6M3GW.TIE and PIETT.TFR file in my "Games\Saves" folder, though.
It's been with me for 12 years. Last time I checked I was General and had about 1.2 million points.
It was the special edition of "TIE Fighter" with all the extra levels and that little ugly Gunboat bomber thing with the afterburner. I think I'd finished 12 out of 14 campaigns.
In the last campaign I did, there was a female pirate leader I was supposed to make war on.

This reminds me, my favorite ship name in Star Wars is "ISD Ardent". Not just because of the nice word, she saved my ass many times.

Omega
Member # 91

Ohhhh. Yeah, you ain't gettin' a USB joystick working for a DOS game outside of an emulator. Have you tried DOSBox since November? I gather they've made some large improvements in the most recent release.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps