Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've Been In The Hospital (Page 24)

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  43  44  45   
Author Topic: I've Been In The Hospital
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got some complicated thoughts on this and related subjects, none of which I can express particularly well, so instead, by way of general advice (which it turns out I'm not finding any easier to compose): Ultimately there's no difference between caring for someone healthy and someone sick, even deathly sick. All we can provide, at any stage in life, is care and comfort.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update:

The results of my latest MRI indicate that the nodule that forced the Gamma Knife procedure is shrinking rather than growing.

So, that is good news. Shrinking rather than growing is good. Now I begin a series of maintenance MRI�s taking place about every 3 months unless something changes.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coolness! good to hear some good news for a change.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed.

Now, if you and the others would follow suit...

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very glad to hear the good news Jay. Never thought I'd like to hear about part of anyones brain shrinking, but there you go.
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Heading out now to spend the night in Seattle. Have to be at the hospital by 6:30am, surgery at 8:00am. Should be in for five days to a week. If anyone feels like it, go to the Swedish Hospital site and send an e-mail -- it'll get delivered to me in my room (although I don't know which room I'll be in).

Hey Jonah,

Damn, I could maybe even have visited you there. My grandfather is at Swedish recovering from his surgery. Though I would have been (one hopes understandably) distracted. Swedish seems to do good work and seem to provide excellent care. Hope your recovery goes smoothly and that you are OK.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as I understand it the tumor nodule was what was shrinking and being replaced with scar tissue.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, in case anyone wants to send Jonah an email at the Swedish Hospital, he's at the First Hill campus in room 719 7SW.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I sent him one.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I got it. Thanks to those of you who waded through the process and sent me missives. Made my day a couple times. So I went in to have my appendix out, and they went rather overboard...

Not really, but it's how I like to think of it. Lost twelve inches of my colon, and they had to do some vigorous chisling to get the fistula mass out. I got home last night, and am getting caught back up on my life again. I've got a wound-vac on the incision site to accelerate healing. It's odd when the dressing gets changed to look down and see a five-inch-long gash running down my belly, but I'm coping. I should be healed beyond the need for dressings -- and off the TPN -- in a couple months at the outside.

I now have no medical restrictions on my diet, save for eliminating the triggers (grains and dairy, mostly) to continue healing.

From here we'll see, but things are promising.

Lee, B.J.... I can sympathise and empathise. It hasn't been easy for my folks to deal with my moodiness through all this.

And Liz, if you need crash space when you first get out here...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never want to hear the phrase "chisling" and "colon" together again. Yegods, man.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wossname is revolving.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuuuuuck.

Blue Cross is denying any coverage for Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment.

Goes like this so far:
Two motherfucking months ago:
My leg continues to get worse- I notice by the large amount of blood oozing out of it while I'm working.
I go to my Doctor and tell him to take me off Chemotherapy and steorids- as they make me sick and do nothing for me.
Doc decides that the only thing he can come up with to maybe work is Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment- he'll have to write a letter to Bluecross explaining this to get apporval.
-Chemo is dropped and steroids cut back on (you have to gradually stop those- the lack of which in yor system makes you feel like total ass for a week or so each time the dosage is lowered).

One month ago: After a months of both myself and my BC rep calling the doctor's office, no letter is written requesting the new treatment.
-no calls are returned to me or B.C. either by doc's nurse.
I have my scheduled appointment and raise hell.
-My wound is worse (larger).
Doc says he'll take care of it- there's some woman they have just to write the official letters.
-Finally the letter is submitted to B.C.
-B.C. says (though not to me) the letter is vague (only a paragraph long) and they need more information on my case to authorize treatment (in my case, everything is "experimetal" due to the disease's rarity).
The month passes with more calls to the Doctor's office from myself and my BC rep to no avail.

One week ago:
-Scheduled appointment- My leg wound is several centimeters worse (now reaching my outer calf).
I raise hell- I get B.C. on my cell-phone and hand the phone to my Doctor. He gets people talking to each other but the woman (only one!) from B.C. that has been calling for information is on vacation for the day.
Monday- Doc's office and B.C. finally talk and the result is....

I'm denied coverage.

Now, I have to write a letter stating why my leg should not just be allowed to rot off and my Doctor has to write (himself) a letter explaining why healing my leg is important to my overall health.
I plan on waiting in the doctor's office tomorrow morning and getting very....loud...if I have to untill this is accomplished.

This is why desperate people take hostages- this level of frustration.

I really really dont know what the fuck I'm going to do if this appeal does not work.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just cut the damned thing off & be done with it? Really.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Because there's no guarentee that the stump would not develop the exact same (non-healing) problem.
,,,and then you get some bad joke about "just taking off a little bit more"...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 45 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  43  44  45   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps