Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch (Page 9)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it is in the tradition of star trek, if you consider the works of Franz Joseph who had a dreadnought with a third nacelle in his book. And there was a dreadnought (in the form of a baloon!) in the animated series...

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starship Freak:
And there was a dreadnought (in the form of a baloon!) in the animated series...

A minor point, but IIRC it was only referred to as a dreadnought in the novelization by Alan Dean Foster, not in the actual episode "The Practical Joker," where it was an oversized replica of the Enterprise herself. However, the dreadnought Entente was referenced in the Epsilon IX comm chatter in The Motion Picture.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And unfortunately, the diagram was for some reason removed from the bridgestations where we did see FJ:s other ships, saladin/hermes/ptolemy-class vessels. I wonder why they only removed the dreadnought?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They didn't remove it. The diagram of the other ships were used, but it showed the dreadnought only as an outline. If one looked very closely, the outline can be made out. The diagram of the actual dreadnought wasn't used.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Starship Freak
Member # 293

I disagree. Looking at the screencap in question (See Ex Astris) it is impossible to see an outline. There is an obvious gap on the bridge monitor where a diagram of the dreadnought is seen i FJ:s book, but I do not see an outline at all.
If you do, could you please post a pic? On all the ones I have seen, there are no obvious lines.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very interesting, I didn't know Trek had Federation dreadnought concepts in past series/movies. An entire new class of ship, very appealing.

It looks very uparmored and ablative, wonder if it has any new types of weapons.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the trailer shows some sore of railgun-y thing aiming at the Enterprise...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Starship Freak
Member # 293

If the roundbally thingy was from the dreadnought, perhaps that feature was the launchpad device?

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious, the one shot of the Even-More-Monsterprise enemy ship feels like a Frankenstein kitbash of a Sovvy, a E-C, and the Warped-Timeline Enterprise. Could this be some type of Universe jumping story?

I swear the next movie will have a ship the size of the Magog World-Ship.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hey, why wait until the 29th century (or whenever it was, can't be bothered to look... 26th?) to build something the size of the Enterprise-J?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
new pic shows the new dreadnought to be...wait for it...almost three times the length of the Cloverprise.
http://mashable.com/2013/04/16/new-star-trek-villain-big-ship/

Yep...

So, since Abrams says "bigger is better", does this mean we'll see a solar system sized Death Star? Maybe a Super-Duper-Star-Destroyer? 4 meter long lightsabers for that ultimate in pallic one-upmanship?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want there to be a scene in the movie like this,describing the dreadnaught.

The dreadnaught is the largest Federation vessel ever constructed...15 million tribbles can fit inside its massive hull...armed with 20 phaser banks, 16 photon torpedo launchers, and 12 plot contivances...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/23/exclusive-hi-res-image-of-uss-vengeance-from-star-trek-into-darkness/

Who was it kept designing post-Next-Gen era Starfleet ships with hollow saucers (i.e. a ring)? Sternbach or Eaves? Because it looks like their wish has finally come true, sort of...

http://scifanatic.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/vengeance-b.jpg

(not sure I can hotlink the image but am gonna try anyway)

[ April 23, 2013, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Fabrux ]

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shame on you for hotlinking the image; you should know we have a no-side-scrolling rule around here... [Razz] [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is supposedly the USS Vengence a name which really hammers home that Abrams completely missed the fucking point of Roddenberry's bright peaceful Federation- that mankind had outgrown his petty past and well, were peaceful EXPLORERS.

Are those ball-turretts on either side of the deflector or did some redneck slap some fake testicles on his ride to impress the ladies at Space-Walmart?

Yeah...not impressed.
As someone at SSM pointed out, the ship was designed by Abrams. Sure there are designers and illustrators and whatever, but they ultimately show the director what they've got and then do whatever the director wants- John Eaves gave a talk at Wonderfest to this effect- that for Enterprise the art dept first submitted Deadalus type designs and they ended up with the Akiraprise.

I'd say "Dont blame the designer" but since we really saw no credit go to the designers in the first JJtrek movie, I guess that point is moot.

Since even the high res pic is VERY dark, here's a lightened version to show some more of the EVIL SHIP. You know it's EVIL since it's dark grey.
http://i.imgur.com/x1pGCoa.jpg

That is one seriously ugly fucking design- worse than the worse FASA design...I mean, look at that secondary hull!
Someone said it looks like a Michael Bay Decepticon design and IO have to agree.

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps