Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » For all the new Forumers (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: For all the new Forumers
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, TSN. You got me there. Guess I'll have to rethink why I hate the Spice Girls. Perhaps a copy of Bananarama? Like a been there, done that.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We dislike the Spice Girls, because we have good taste in music. SG music is aimed at kids.

The Monkeys were controlled by the people the assimbled the band, for the TV show. They didn't play or write, but they could both play and write, at least Nesmith could write. Bryce and Heart worte a good bit of their music, but were under orders not to take a stand on anything, or offend anyone. "Last Train to Clarksville" was a war protest song, about a guy going into the army, wanting to see his girl one more time, but the song never mentioned the war.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Sol's thinking of the song that I'm thinking off, then it's a favourite in clubs over here.

Although at the moment I can't remember what it's called or how it goes.

And you can't simply slag off the Spice Girls because they are a copy of something else. Or for the fact that they don't play or write. That would mean that any song writen and played by someone is automatically good.

Besides, Spice up your Life is a great song to jump up and down to with your mates.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the Board's token Irish character, who will probably end up dead by the middle of the season.

I used to post way more often than I do now -- probably something to do with the 24hour exhaustion that seems to follow me around daily on thirty-seven squirrels legs.

I am currently in the process of making "The Bends" sound kick-ass when coming out of a piano - Just and The Bends are proving a challenge, which I am rising to like a man posessed.

My Charmander would have had a warehouse full o' whupass if only Pokemon had more than 1 save slot (*&^%�"@@::@!)
*profane language*

I'm the only one here who can speak Irish.
I make it in for my 9 o'clock with about four hours sleep. And supervise 1st year labs.

I try to be nice. I am eminently sarcastic.

I wish this keyboard was newer.
Nice dream.

------------------
Devil: Oh look at the time! I'm late for services.
Stone: Services?
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Brimstone. May it rest in syndication.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What am I doing hangin' round? I should be on that train and gone. I should be on that train to San Anton...what am I doing hangin' round?"

The chorus to the song I was speaking of.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: you must have it on Disc somewhere. You come up with a title, and TMBG may sell another disc.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the song was just played once or twice at some concerts.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in Missouri, near the Kansas border, in the middle of nowhere at that.
I listen to all type of music, I draw, write, and do some online graphics stuff just for the hell of it.

------------------
Admin at the trekbbs.com

[This message has been edited by TLE (edited February 09, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, if it had more than one saved game slot, then everyone would cheat far more than they do now. Besides, Squirtle would flatten Charmander against the tarmac anyway. (My rating system gos on voices. Which means that Psyduck is ahead by a large margin).

And I applaud your ability to speak Irish. Now demonstrate a practical use for it. Outside of Ireland. Or an Irish pub.

------------------
"Sorry Wendy, I just can't trust something that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

Mr Garrison

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never went up against anything higher than Level 20, and that was after a good few hours continuous play.

And people here wonder why the arse is falling out of the Irish language. It's compulsory in schools until you leave, except for those born outside the country. Yet I smell a Problem: the language has no use even in most parts of the country that are still supposed to speak it a lot (the Gaeltacht areas).

Baloo and Gravie are of Irish descent - I know this because their surname (Dunehew) is yet another fecked-up variant of my name (Donohue), which in turn is a rape of the Kerry original (O'Donoghue).

I just put it in Liam (IRISH NAME!) to highlight how unique I am. And if no-one gives a toss, neither will. That's how democracy works.

On the twist last night. 4 lectures. Three-hour Assembly language lab.
Brain hurts.

------------------
Devil: A group of young teenagers that have been celebrating the Black Sabbath are planning on deep-sixing their gym teacher tonight. I'm gonna go and give them a little encouragement.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gaseous Anomaly: Thanx! I knew that Dunehew was a "mutation" of Donohue, but did not know that it was, in turn derived from an even more archaic form.

There's a lot of Donohues here in America, and I suspect that one branch or other changed the spelling to distance themselves from "those TRAITORS" during the Civil war. I'm not positive which side the Dunehews wanted to distance themselves from, but my Great Grandfather fought for the Indiana Volunteers, so I suppose he sided with the Union. Oddly, of my three other (southern) GGFs, only one fought for the south.

--Baloo

------------------
"Against stupidity the very gods
Themselves contend in vain."
--FRIEDRICH VON SCHILLER
Come Hither and Yawn...

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

Name-changing to distance yourself from the Blues or Greys? I didn't know that.

It might explain how there are so many variants of Irish names in Mericay
---> O'Mahony (OH-Mah-in-ee) vs. Mahony (Ma-HONE-ee)
---> Donohue (DUN-oh-who) vs. Dunehew (DUN-eh-hew)(I imagine) vs. Donohoe vs. MacDonncha(mine in Gaelic) vs. Donoghue vs. O'{nearly all of the above) vs. Donju(a little known Mexican variant, & Mexico's last Spanish ruler's last name).

My own name got the way it is today because, well, even my Auld Lad doesn't know that one, but there aren't many of us - the only other Donohue's we personally know are our cousins.
Surely a good sign.

See if you can find out where your G-G-F was from.
Sorry, but what were the years of yer Civil War? Post-1840's and pre-1870's, by any chance?

------------------

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Well since this is an initiation for all those newbies out there. I am MaGiC. I have a love of Black Leather, PVC, Handcuffs and loose women... being one myself. I am learning what I can about Vampyre origins, and have a passing interst in Wicca. My Partner of 6 years in London England is known as G. However loyalty is notin my vocab.

------------------
I'm the Worlds First Fully Functional Homicidal Artist.....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

After several hours continuous play. he should have gotten to Charmeleon level, surely (whoe the best middle-evolution one by far).

And GA, my surname's Kavanagh. Guess where that comes from?

------------------

Mr Garrison

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work with an O'Donoghue. She's one of our secretaries. Very proud Irish, despite living in Manchester for a very long time.

------------------
Democracy simply means the bludgeoning of the people, by the people and for the people.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps