Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Backstreet Boys or U2: Which is better? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Backstreet Boys or U2: Which is better?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And since he's going out with one of the ugliest girls ever, I wouldn't judge anything based upon his sense of taste.

------------------
"I'd give anything to be able to turn invisible. I wouldn't use my powers to beat people up, but use them to protect the girl's locker room."
Xander Harris

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good LORD! That was incredibly tasteless, and perhaps the funniest thing I've read in days. Days, mind you. Days that I've been without a computer. Days in which no one seems to have cared about me, because obviously I suck, or something. And then there is a music thread where nobody says anything involving me? My ego is crushed and battered and whipped and spewed, and made mincemeat out of. Which is probably a good thing, in the long run. Who the hell do I think I am?

But, I cannot be silent. U2 is a lot more like the Backstreet Boys than some of you seem comfortable in admiting. Dare I utter the word "Popmart"? Then we have Bono who compares only with Sting in the catagory of musicians who make more "gutsy political statements" than music. Er...and Adam, uh, guy, of the Beastie Boys. Er, and all of Rage Against the Machine. Though the latter combine both, and make something that is, at the very least, interesting.

But that isn't the point. There is no point. There is every point. But U2 lyrics are not poetry. Soul Coughing lyrics are poetry with a capital OET. I prove it to you thusly.

An excerpt from Screenwriter's Blues

Gone savage
For teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love
Gone savage
For teenagers who are aesthetically pleasing
In other words
Fly
Los Angeles beckons the teenagers to come to her on buses;
Los Angeles loves love

Of course, this stems from the fact that M. Doughty, singer and songwriter for Soul Coughing is a poet himself. And Soul Coughing references are fifty thousand times cooler than U2 references. What does U2 have to compare to "I absorb trust like a love rhombus" or "I ride the fader and I ride it low, I'm going to slip into the field like Han Solo and". Or has a song that mentions Josie and the Pussycats and the inner processes of atoms? In the same song, mind you. Well?

They Might Be Giants, of course, reference Gigantor, which is of course ninety-nine thousand times cooler than U2, but in a Japanese financial empire cool.

(I'm sorry, but I couldn't help myself.)

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My great aunt, now just past 80, sand "Mairzy Dotes" when she babysat me when I was in elementary school, so I just always assumed it was an old folk song (like everything else she sang).

It took me YEARS to figure out "Mairzy Dotes" was really Mares Eat Oats.
and does eat oats
and little lambs eat ivy
a kid'll eat ivy, too,
wouldn't you?

ARRGH! Now that song'll be in my head for the next two days...

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Dylan is a poet. Jim Morrison was a poet. Jimmy Hendrix was a poet. Again, what is the point? As discussed in chapter 2, there is no point other than there are plenty of fine poet songwriters out there. None of which encompase any of the Backstreet Boys.

T.S. Eliot was a poet, but he couldn't dance.
e.e. cummings was a poet, but he couldn't (s)
*i

N

G.

------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited March 01, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point, rather obviously, is that Doughty is impossibly cool.

A side point, one that is worth mining in another thread, is that I am incredibly not happy.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you want to talk cool, let me just mention Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

Yes, come with me to the wonderful world of Jazz. A place where one doesn't even necessarily need words to write poetry.
------------------
Ohh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts, and plagues and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing...well I say "Hard Cheese"!
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited March 01, 2000).]

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jazz is the king of all music.

------------------
Man it's a real shame when folks be throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that.

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, besides the fact that U2 actually play their own instruments (including Bono, though his guitar needs improving), they still have three of the highest attended tours in rock history, Rock's hotest ticket- the Rattle and Hum tour, Zoo TV- the hottest tour in the nineties, and PopMart (Not as high as the other two, but a twenty foot tall lemon and a TV almost twice the size of a basketball court are cooler than five faggoty guys dancing in sync)

------------------
Man it's a real shame when folks be throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can anybody be cooler than a band with guys named 'Bono' and 'The Edge'?

I like Joe Satriani. I doubt anybody's heard of him here. He's a guitar virtuoso. He's got more talent in his finger than the Backdoor Boys have put together.

You can't say otherwise, or you haven't heard his music. But nobody's heard of him.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he were really talented, he might have tried something besides the guitar.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This is a brand new song...we haven't recorded it yet, but we're going to now." - John Flansburgh

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, some idiots still pronounce Bono (Bah-No) as (Boh-No) as in Sonny Bono. And those are the idiots who like BSB, N'Sync, Spice Girls, Hanson, and so on!

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited March 01, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably, they speak the English language, too.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This is a brand new song...we haven't recorded it yet, but we're going to now." - John Flansburgh

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of Joe Satriani and he's quite talented. I don't listen to his music, but trust me, from what I have heard, he's good. And what's wrong with the guitar? It's an instrument. I can't play it, so I respect anyone who can play with at least some talent. No offense Shadow.

Another thing about image. U2 got popular with their music and then got an image. BSB was molded to the image that would make them popular. Take away their image and they are just another group of paid vocalists.

On a side note, I don't think anyone ever argued who was the cutest out of U2.

[This message has been edited by fructose1 (edited March 01, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Yes, but everyone plays the guitar these days. It's just not a very original or interesting choice of instrument.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's also one of the hardest to master. I can't even think of 100 people who have truly mastered it.

The Edge is obviously the cutest member of U2. You can't argue over that.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps