Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » To the citizens of the United States of America (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: To the citizens of the United States of America
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, hell, is THAT all I need?

That's EASY...

*Begins scrounging for misplaced plutonium*

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read it. Raven wasn't just nuclear armed either, he was radioactive too. That and he could beat the shit out of you

------------------
[6th Sense] I see dumbass people [/6th Sense]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* This'll get me in trouble, but what the hell...

Hi, I'm Bob. I'm an Arkansasian. It's kinda like being a Kentuckist or a Oklahomite, only...not. Different culture, religion, language, currency and gastronomy.
In fact, we immerse our pan-pizzas(TM) in ketchup before we eat them, in one bite. A cultural legacy our neighbours, whom I resent being associated with by the way, do not uphold. So there!
(actually no one's ever pulled it off in one bite but that's a challenge we embrace!)

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited November 18, 2000).]

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snow Crash reference: sadly, Raven never got a chance to listen to Reason. (he-he)
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how does this dictionary you speak of pronounce "aluminium"?

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"ah-huh-men-iey-um"

Sort of like

"Add-hom-i-nem" =)

------------------
The Dominion has been defeated, but the hardest job will be building the peace ...

Join Cpt. Connor H. Macy and the crew of the USS Tokyo as they attempt to forge the bonds of trust ...

Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a very good idea

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since it's spelled "aluminium", they're going for "al-yoo-MIN-ee-um", as opposed to the less goofy-sounding "uh-LOO-mih-num", spelled "aluminum".

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, you are absolutly right on the "Americans" thing. Unfortunatly, there isn't a, well, natural way of saying it otherwise. "US-citizens" sounds a bit forced. But I'll try from now on to seperate the US and Canada.

But, for whoever said that saying Europeans is the same as saying Americans, (I can't be arsed to check), I hate to point it out to you, but in Europe, we are actually different countries. With different languages, and everything. Yes, it's true. North US-ers might be different to South US-ers, but I dare say Geordies (Newcastle residents) are different to Cockneys. In fact, I know they are. Most of them are mad. But I'm not gonna start demanding I be called a "Greater London resident", because I'm different from Orion Syndicate, and his Mancunnian ways.

Oh, and please don't say stuff like "we have one of the best countries in the world". It tends to make other countries want to vomit.

"Al-lew-min-nium"

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm, I always that that we Irish fought over booze..... Or for whatever the person paying us in booze was fighting for.

------------------
**...****...**

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*blinks* You're Irish? Don't you live in Michigan? Why would you want to move to Michigan if you're Irish. It makes no sense in the logic of sensibleness.

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means "Irish-American" ...

Hey, is it true what they say about Sweden? About all the good looking blonde women? 'Cuz if so, I wish my ancestors had stayed!

------------------
The Dominion has been defeated, but the hardest job will be building the peace ...

Join Cpt. Connor H. Macy and the crew of the USS Tokyo as they attempt to forge the bonds of trust ...

Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: Yes, in Europe, you have different countries. And, in America, we have different countries. Canada, the US, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina... Just to name some of the big ones...

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yes, but to defend Liam, North America only has two countries (three if you count Mexico).

South America is the jumblepot of counties. And you left out Venezuela! =)

------------------

Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually there are about as many brunettes as there are blondes here, but it's all good, man!
AND meust of them are smart, too! Meustly.
The one mentioned in "Californication" is just a member of the usual percentage of girls that want to be rich-and-famous. That doesn't spoil the whole group.

In fact, "bimbo" is a seriously overused word. Just like "nimrod"... Check'em out in the back-issues of www.word-detective.com.
Full o'good stuff.

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited November 20, 2000).]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps