Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Seen any good movies? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Seen any good movies?
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, have you? I have, I saw Traffic, definately one of the best films I have ever had the good fortune to see. Much better Soderbergh than Erin Brokovich.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I have not....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traffic was good.

American Psycho, Wonder Boys, Virgin Suicides and The Replacements are other recent favorites of mine.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Saving Silverman with a couple of buddies on Friday. Man that's a funny flick!

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You actually LIKED American Psycho? Wow........ I work in a movie store, and we got more complaints from that movie alone than any other movie before and since. Huh.

I liked What Lies Beneath..... and also, I still love Gone In 60 Seconds, though it's not NEARLY as cool since MY car got stolen.....

~LOA

------------------
"Apprently, "pooty" involves deities and pretty girls in compromising positions..." ~TSN Jan. 18th, 2001

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't rent videos, as I'm sure you recall from a minor rant about them. Recently I've seen Traffic in the cinema, and Unbreakable before that. I'm going to see Hannibal on Wednesday. On Sky Cinema (satellite) recently I've watched In Dreams, The Siege and. . . lots of other things, many of them shite.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snatch was a great movie. I recommend it.

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

"Being a liberal is one of the most gutless choices you can make. It doesn't require you to think, it only requires you to feel." - Rush Limbaugh

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American Psycho was excellent. You ought to read the book by Ellis, of course. It's like Titus. Opinions on such films are polar.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw Quills the other day. Not bad save that it turned the Marquis de Sade into an advocate for the first amendment rather than a wacked out, um, wacko.

That AND I could have gone sooooooooo much longer without seeing Geoffrey Rush in full frontal nudity!

Scared for life I am.

Snatch was ok. Better than not, but a bit too cute for it's own good.

------------------
"One reason I like to highlight reading is, reading is the beginnings of the ability to be a good student. And if you can't read, it's going to be hard to realize dreams, it's going to be hard to go to college. So when your teachers say, read--you ought to listen to her."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I much enjoyed American Psycho ... mind you, I was quite scared when Christian Bale goes on about all the crap he puts on his face in the beginning of the movie, but except for Dafoe's wasted character, it was a really great flick. Even the style it was shot in is reminiscent of the boring camera-angles and styles which characterized many '80's flicks. Hell, even Ronald Reagan has a cameo (well, sorta).

Did it seem to anyone besides me that Bateman spent just a tad too much time killing people and returning videotapes?

I appreciated it even more after VH1 aired "Behind The Music: The Huey Lewis And The News Story"

Are you 100% sure that Dogma didn't get more complaints? That flick made fun of the platypus. Well, Catholics too, but mostly the platypuses. Honestly, if my grandma ever saw that movie, she'd blow a gasket (or forty).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 18, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as recent movies go, I agree that Traffic was really good.

As for movies I've seen recently, but that aren't new, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I now no longer think only of Edward Scissorhands when someone mentions Johnny Depp. :-)

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A movie getting complaints isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is very scary, and as such, a good 'scary movie'. But the swedish moral guardians, in their ignorance, associated all VCR-titles, and even the machine itself, with "T.C.M" and there was puritanian Crusade. Videos are baaad. You have a VCR at home? You will go to hell! It's not as if you can store OTHER things on a tape.

I liked "American Psycho" but the ending left me wanting. Something more should've happened, no just seeing him calming down and getting tired...

Dogma was great, and they did apologize beforehand, so if people take it personally it's because they're so bored that they have to have something to mutually 'hate'.

I liked 'Meet Joe Black'. My christian halfbrother avoided it because he thought Pitt played the devil, but I filled him in.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there something in the bible that prohibits Brad Pitt from playing Satan? Does it allow that guy who does "Him" on the PPG to play, er, him?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I also saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, that was really good too (and nuts to anyone who didn't like the flying). I'm quite impressed with this year's Oscar Best picture nominees. Not like '97 with that crap movie about the silly boat.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is probably one of the best I've seen for a while. I've seen plenty of other films but I can't remember what they were so they mustn't have been great.

------------------
*Kenshiro gets off bed made from solid stone*
*Bed made from solid stone explodes*
Fist of the North Star

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps