Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Counter-Strike! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Counter-Strike!
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I haven't tried Front Line Force. But I heard they use the swedish AK5 in there, can't help but feel a litte flattered.
I take it it's spawn-based, not like in CS?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod,

Do a searth through GameSpy.com for "Smash or Be Smashed." And beware of Wake

I should be playing mucho mucho come a week tommorow. Cable modem -- go!

I don't camp a whole lot, but when I do a lot of it is because I am still a newbie at the game. Some times I camp because we've eliminated all but one of the opposing team, and I don't want to get sniped by the last guy alive (although, I recall fondly when the CT team I was on camped as a unit behind, on, and around stacked boxes at the top of a stairwell and blasted the Terrorists into tiny little pieces -- I had an MPNavy, I think most of the others had silenced M-16s. After this happened four times, the terrorits -- including a very pissed off Wake, who happened to be in the next room from where I was (literaly, I was playing on roomie's comp) wised up, and the terrorists made a tactical feint from below the stairwell, while others pitched in smoke grenades, flash bangs, and HEs. We lost that round).

I've been getting good at checking my rear, although sometimes I do forget to keep up my guard -- half my team got pegged in the back, when, charging to the bomb site, we failed to check a dead-end recessed slope where two CTs were waiting for us (after having lost the previous three rounds, they decided their tactics were in need of work).

I don't care a lot for either flash-bangs or smoke grenades. The flash-bangs blind your team members too, and the smoke grenades are really only good to cover a retreat, because, again, they blind you just as much (not to mention, no computer I've played on handles the smoke effects very well).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction on the "camping" philosophy.

Terroist ARE SUPPOSE TO CAMP in "hostages rescue", or "VIP escaping" maps, so don't feel bad if you do camp, cuz it's the right thing to do.

Oh the "bombing" map though, T are not suppose to camp.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the vast majority of the "Aztec" archetecture style map. I love "Italy" ... most of the indoor maps ... (I've yet to learn most of their names) ...

I had the bomb a few times. Planted it on occasion, got killed on occasion ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaah, Aztec. I remember when I first tried it out, *sniff*.
My current two favourites are Dust2, Inferno and Office, but I like every map except Vegas and Nuke. And a little change is good for you.

BlueElectron: Word. It is very important to put up a security grid in those situations, no matter hat they call you.

Another tip for you, Jeff, is to practice rapid weapons switching, if you're caught with an empty rifle mag in close quarters. If you have a scrollwheel on thy mouse you can switch from rifle to gun/knife if you run out of lead in a tight spot. Yessir, it has saved my posterior many a night.
Rule of thumb is pistol over knife but sometimes knife is more decisive, if the other guy already is a little hurt. Or if the gun almost empty as well. A fraction of a second can save ya or shave ya.

Also, be sure to "upgrade" to better weapons lying on the ground. I think you pretty much know already which weapons are more desirable than others.

One time I actually had an encounter similar to the tavern scene in "Desperado".
The CT and I were shooting at one another, charging in like crazy apes, giving as good as we got, and both mags ran out.
We were at a previously crowded place, so guns were lying everywere. We both went through about three guns each before I got hold of some crappy thing (I think it was a MAC-10) with ten rounds left, but it was enough. He went horizontal and I got an erection from the adrenaline spike.

I'll tellya, twenty years from now the doctors will be mighty puzzled by all the premature heart failures among the people born 1970-80.
But to quote the Kurgan, "It's better to burn out than to fade away"...

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Nimrod ]

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I just played the game. It's pretty cool, except for the fact that I got killed within 3 seconds of starting by my friend. Anyway, when you throw those box explosives, do they always kill you if you are within 2 feet of them?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The box explosives ... ? If you mean the bomb, you don't throw it -- you've got to set it at the bomb site (and then, yes, it'll kill you if you're anywhere near it).

Do you mean the HE grenade? It's pretty powerful.

My friend, who plays as PoBabyJesus, has gotten a few kills with a knife. On one instance, he jumped on a CT's head and killed him from above.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
Member # 205

You don't throw the C4, you choose it in your inventory like any other weapon if you start out with the bomb, terrorist only.
Then you plant it with the fire button, IIRC.
The blast radius takes about 3-4 seconds to clear, in running mode, but even inside the radius the damage becomes gradually weaker the farther out you are.
I once got away with 1 in health, heh. Don't step off any high ledges!

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I've been killed by the bomb quite a few times ...

Nimrod, are there any websites which have detailed plans of the various maps? There was a "dam" level which I had fun with ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
Member # 205

Aha! The seldom spotted beerdog shows his snout.
I think I'll visit "Smash.." in a couple of hours, but I got a funky message when I tried going in yesterday. It said "0 of the 15 slots are reserved, there are no free spots at this time". The roster said 13/15!! And I updated it! But I'll try again I guess..

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The 15th spot is reserved for a SOB (er, Smash or Be Smashed, not Son of a Bitch!) clan member.

It's a fun server. And, like I said, be wary of "Wake" and "Po'BabyJesus."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod:
Hmm, I haven't tried Front Line Force. But I heard they use the swedish AK5 in there, can't help but feel a litte flattered.
I take it it's spawn-based, not like in CS?

Yeah... forced respawn delay, though. And the weaponry/movement/aim/stamina system is pretty nicely implemented... (i.e. bunny hopping -> Bad Things Happen)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to play Counterstrike again, without throwing the bomb thing this time. I still was killed off when my friend placed a bomb hidden behind some crate boxes.

I think I'll stick to Elite Force from now on.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Nim
Member # 205

Use loudspeakers or preferably stereo earphones. The bomb emits a beep that picks up speed as it ticks down.
The sound in CS is almost half the battle. Footsteps, doorsounds or the plain "Cha-Ching" of a loading weapon helps tremendously to ascertain enemy locations.

Also, if you hear bullets ricocheting off the walls around you but no gunfire, someone is taking longshots at you. Take cover fast, if it's a sniper rifle you'll be lucky you got one warningshot!

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You know, I tried using the chain machine gun at one point ...

Man, that thing just plain sucks ... no range, no aim ... might impressive lookin', tho ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps