Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Well now I've gone and done it... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Well now I've gone and done it...
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know how TOS has department logos? Well the Navy has the same thing, worn on the left sleeve next to the rate stripes or chevrons.
http://www.navycollege.navy.mil/pipelines1.html

My job is highly classified requiring a security clearance. If I came home, got online and told you about my day I'd have to shoot everyone who read it.

Here's a scan of the enlisted and officer ranks from a magazine they gave me. The rank of Fleet Admiral (O-11 5 stars) is reserved for war time only. The last Fleet Admirals were in World War II. Fleet Admirals during that war were Chester W. Nimitz, William D. Leahy, Ernest J. King, and William F. Halsey.

Here's a site with all military ranks: http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs/almanac/almanac/people/insignias/index.html

[ February 03, 2002, 16:12: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warrent Officers are trained experts in one feild as opposed to commissioned officers who are trained in all feilds and leadership styles. For example a helicopter pilot is usually a warrent officer because they specialize in one feild.

In order to become a warrent officer you must have an associates degree or a degree from a technical school.

There are 3 levels of service in the armed forces.

Enlisted/NCO - E-1 through E-9

NCO/enlisted soldiers are required to have either a High school diploma or a GED and are usually trained by the army to specialize in one job/feild.

Warrent Officers are required to have an associates degree or some other type of 2 year degree. WOs are experts in their feilds.

Commissioned Officers - in order to become an officer you must meet one of the following criteria

- Direct Appointment
- Military Academy ie. West Point, Annapolis, Air Force Academy etc.
- OCS or OTS
- College ROTC

In either case you must have a 4 year degree.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed the countless spelling mistakes in that post. I'll blame it on the Super Bowl.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES! YES! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Please! Send more information - all of this is extremely useful! I've been searching for over a year now to find such stuff, but keep falling short of the mark. [Frown] [Frown]

Any more such info for the navy/army/air force would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Is this place and its members kewl or what? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Obese Penguin - like anyone gives a damn about spelling and grammer mistakes! [Big Grin] I know I don't! [Wink]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, http://www.defenselink.mil/ maybe?
Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I talk to my recuiter today, it is possible to take college courses while out to sea. I'm trying to have my 5th year EW enlistment dropped. This way I finish a 4 year college diploma and my contract at the same time when I'm 24. If I actually decide I like the Navy, at least I can become an officer and the chance to fly.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SALVATION! SALVATION!

Word now has it from a Captain (that's an Air Force Captain, not a Navy one) that Navy ROTC will be sailing into Daytona Beach next semester! Though I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high just yet, I'm excited enough to warrant a some Caplocks and a litle UBB Code.

Keep your fingers crossed!

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Hobbes
Member # 138

That's cool. Unfortunately both of my high schools, Pensacola High School and Fort Dorchester High School had Air Force JROTC.

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I'm in college, Hobbes. I'm talking about real ROTC, not that 'junior make believe get a ribbon for starting a fire with nothing but some sticks and a match Junior ROTC.' No, if all goes well, in four or five years or so, I'll be your boss. [Smile]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Hobbes
Member # 138

[Embarrassed] Oh right, um... ok... [Embarrassed]

If all goes well, in four or five years I too will be an officer, hopefully an F/A-18 pilot.

[ February 12, 2002, 05:23: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:
There is. I believe its 25 or 27 or thereabouts. And they're retiring the Tomcat, any Tomcat pilot doesn't have much of a future as a Tomcat pilot - I doubt they're even training them anymore.

And supposedly Tomcats are bitches to fly, or at least to land. It takes one crafty motherfucking pilot to land one of those on a carrier.

I do not believe they are training very many more Tomcat pilots anymore, I think they are replacing it with the JSF. And yes they are hard to land. They are the fastest and heaviest interceptors in service right now. And they have to be the coolest looking planes since World War II.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Hobbes
Member # 138

I recently read that the older Tomcats are being retired. However the F-14D Super Tomcat will remain in service until about 2008 to 2010.

I made a logo for myself, EW Hobbes. [Razz]

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That 2008-10 for the Tomcat sounds about right: tht's when the F-35 JSF is coming into service, which should fill up anything that hasn't been taken by the F/A-18. Good luck.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, what do those diagonal white bars on the uniform sleeves represent? I saw a flim a few weeks ago and two army guys had a whole forearm of them.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rank.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps