Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My girlfriend might be leaving me. (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: My girlfriend might be leaving me.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ulcer Mongoose:
Why do English authors use a single quote to denote dialogue, whereas the authors from the Americas use double quotes? Aside from our general stupidity, that is.

We do? [Confused]

I'm a Brit and I always use double quotes for the start and end of speech, and single for quotes either within or outside the speech. The double always looks best IMHO, single just looks shite.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Oh yeah - and we were always taught to use double at school too. So which Brit's use single?

[ June 04, 2002, 14:03: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, single is much more weak.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tolkien, for one. And he was a linguist. So I trust his judgment.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're actually trusting the judgement of his publisher. Or his typesetter. ("Fuck!" What a boring job!)

Like I said, I've noticed the single-quote-only thing only in older British stuff.

[ June 04, 2002, 14:50: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not that old. I spent some time this year reading some early novels by Iain Banks (who is Scottish) published in, oh, 84-86, say? And those used single quotes normally.
Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women, I've discovered are incredibly hard to trust. They do lie to you, so don't just take everything she says at face value. If you're suspcious, look into her.
I'm just replying to the first post, I don't have time to read 6 pages.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...that doesn't sound like an entirely healthy attitude.

In my experience, gender has nothing to do with trustworthiness, or approachability for that matter. The fault lies not in our stars, as it were.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well everyone knows men can't be trusted with anything. [Razz]

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...a decent "debate about punctuation"...
There is no such thing. To quote Shakespear, we are the most boring fuckers in the world.

And death to all women, or something.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not know who Shakespear is. Maybe he is the writer of the spelling errors! You made an attempt to write Shakespeare but wrote Shakespear instead! Notice the difference! Limey! YOU SUCK SO MUCH ASS!

Also, my genitalia is/are very small.

[ June 04, 2002, 19:07: Message edited by: The Ulcer Mongoose ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Shakespeare himself signed his name w/ multiple different spellings. If he were around today, I don't doubt he'd be online, typing stuff like "2 b or not 2 b taht is teh question, wether t'is nobler in the mind 2 suffer teh slign s and arrrows of outrajuss (sp???) fortun" and so on...
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, most certainly: "ne1 no were theirs gay prono/?"
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
h4 h4 1i a hoax that post wsa ritten by million monkeysd at 1000000typewriters

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well everyone knows men can't be trusted with anything."

Not phare! We made "Ben Hur"!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what fun it was.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps