Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ugly new US money (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ugly new US money
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Making a mountain out of a mole hill there...

I've got a pound coin, in the other room there...

Kept it in my wallet for 12 years, then the wallet gave out, but oddly enough I have the damn coin.... My only memento of my trip to Liverpool in '89...

Somewhere in Liverpool is a kid, er, guy now, that has a dollar bill....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an ancient Greek coin with the face of one of Alexander's generals on it. A friend of my uncle's gave it to me for the hell of it at a coin show. *shrug*. I have it hidden somewhere in my room (hidden so well I magically can't remember where it is at the moment...)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I have a $20 note in my pocket that I forgot to spend before coming back to the UK. And, er, some US coins, with their silly, silly names. And boring designs. Oh, let's make one a circle. Oh, let's make another one a circle. Oh, let's make another one a circle, and then all go and stick our penises in some kind of giant circle of shitness.

Silly names.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am particularily fond of all of the aspects of the five cent piece.

Particularily.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]

I still think the funniest thing about the Euro is the fact that Scandinavia looks like a slightly deformed penis with Norway removed. But I have a very childish sense of humour.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florida, too, for us Americans. But yours is bigger. [Wink]

As to the names of our coins, why do you find them odd? Quarters are quarter-dollars, dimes are one-tenth of a dollar, nickels are made of nickel. And pennies are pennies on both sides of the pond, for reasons I'm now curious to dig up...

Also, round coins don't have any corners to jab you in the thigh through your pocket when you sit down. And considering how most every country that mints coins tends to make them round, including the UK, I don't see your problem with round coins?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam just can't Lee and Wraith be the only US bashers on the forum today is all [Wink]

I really do miss the cleaner environment....

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I miss the 50 cent piece... and the 2-dollar bill. There was somethign cool about the 2 dollar bill. I have the oddest urge to go to the bank and request they change a $20 bill into twos for me. They have to do it. It's the law, you see.
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Also, round coins don't have any corners to jab you in the thigh through your pocket when you sit down. And considering how most every country that mints coins tends to make them round, including the UK, I don't see your problem with round coins?

Our 20p and 50p coins are heptagonal.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As recently as the UK was still using shillings, I don't think they really have room to complain...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate inflation. Bad idea. Short-term fix to a problem that is never really solved by that mechanism, and making the inevitable end that much more painful...

I miss the gold and silver standard. I miss silver and copper coins. I want more coins, and one of the five bills with Woodrow Wilson on them...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bunch of euro coins that a friend gave me when he was over from Germany. I have a �2 coin, a �1 coin, 3 �.50 coins, a �.20 coin, and 3 �.10 coins. What's up with the �.20 coin? It has notches around it...

Also in my collection is a various assortment of other European coins, with the largest being from the Netherlands. Those .10 coins are tiny! The second largest amount would be from the UK. Other European coins I have include L.500 from Italy, 3 mils from Cyprus, 5 drakmai from Greece, 10 �re from Denmark, 5 francs from Belgium and a deutschemark. Some other interesting coins I have come from Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, Australia, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, and my collection of utterly worthless collection of coins from the CCCP. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I liked the 2 dollar bills also, a flight attendant named Amanda, working for Pan Am in 1989, was really in to them.... She was going to fly in to Frankfurt and we were going to spend a bit of time together, but the Army decided I needed a world war III drill and sent my happy but to the woods, and plains, and even a few small swamps through out Germany....

Fuckin' military anyway, join up and they think that they own your ass.... But I'm not bitter I tell ya!!!!

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What's up with the �.20 coin? It has notches around it...
Makes it easier for blind people to identify the coins.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
.. from the Netherlands. Those .10 coins are tiny!
Try fitting it inside the hole of a CD. It should fit perfectly. That's because Philips (who developed the Compact Disc) actually used a .10 coin to draw the hole 8)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps