Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ugly new US money (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ugly new US money
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can beat our LOONIE !!!!! -- oh and uh.. let's not forget our TWONIE !!! Speaking of queer names for money!! [Wink]

I think they should make a 1 million dollar coin!!! We'll call it The Millie - on one side there will be a Picture of Bill Gates on the other - a retro pic of Milli Vanilli !!

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the very special episode of Saved by The Bell where Jessie was addicted to uppers.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved that episode. All of the fine actors and actresses in that episode really gave it their best. It was certainly one of the most emotionally stirring episodes of that series.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
As recently as the UK was still using shillings, I don't think they really have room to complain...

30 years is recent?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
As to the names of our coins, why do you find them odd? Quarters are quarter-dollars, dimes are one-tenth of a dollar, nickels are made of nickel. And pennies are pennies on both sides of the pond, for reasons I'm now curious to dig up...

Because, well, why not call them 25 cent, 10 cent, 5 cent, and 1 cent coins? As Tim has shown, you spend ages saying "Oh, you Brits with your silly names for your coins", but then we change them, yet you still keep to the same silly names. And you are not even consistent. Why not call dimes "small silvers", eh? FOOL!

And, seriously, I'd love to see someone jab themselves with a 20p coin. Because I could smack them in the face for being a moron.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Also, let's not forget the Saved By The Bell where Zack and Slater proved that merely being near alcohol is enough to make you want to drive a car into the only set the show has that isn't Mr Belding's Office.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard on the news yesterday that people are already counterfitting the new twenty. Some chick in South Bend passed two of them the other day.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was pretty damn quick....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topher: Exactly, everything in Sweden is priced either by .50 Kronor or most oftenly without any decimal at all. I hate the .50-coins, they are impossible to pull out of the wallet and are useless in soda-machines, parking meters or for those little locks on customer carts in malls.

The359: "I have an ancient Greek coin with the face of one of Alexander's generals on it."

It wouldn't happen to be Seleukos, would it? (I'm taking a class in Religion, we're on Maccabeus)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was fast. I didn't listen to the newscast long enough to find out how it tied to Notre Dame, but I'm sure through some rediculous stretch, they found a way to do it.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easy, Aban. Notre Dame's school colors are gold and blue. The new $20 dollar bills contain the colors gold and blue. Ergo, there's a Notre Dame link to the counterfeiting chick!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you have these stupid banks....

Deposit $220.00, in cash, midday Wednesday, then have to wait till Friday for it to take.... WTF is that.... I could understand an out of town or out of state check, but 2 days for cash....

I am leaving Rochester State Bank for another, staffed by stupud people with the total ability, an un-dying need to follow, stupid rules....

I may go back to National City, or the Bank of Springfield, or US Bank.... Someone that does cash transactions in real time, like my old credit union....

The rest of my family banks there and has never had a problem, so mayhap it iss just me....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As Tim has shown, you spend ages saying 'Oh, you Brits with your silly names for your coins', but then we change them, yet you still keep to the same silly names."

I wasn't complaining about the name "shilling". I was talking about the system they were a part of. I mean, it's bad enough that we don't use metric measurements here. But at least our money has always come in easy-to-handle units. When there's, like, 37 pence in a shilling and 15.86 shillings in a pound, or whatever*, you could spend days just trying to pay for a candy bar with loose change.

*Disclaimer: This is exaggeration. I am aware that the actual system was ever so slightly less confusing than my approximation.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the new $5's but not the $10's. They are a little too gaudy for me. I hope that the $20's have a nice shade of green. My mom collects coins, she's got some franc's, and some portugese coins (what are those called?) I think there's a silver dollar in there somewhere's but I havn't seen it.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were 12 pence in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound, making 240 pence in a pound.

It's a perfectly reasonable system, and is similar to how most old-fashioned measurement systems work.

No-one complains that there should be 10 inches in a foot or 100 seconds in a minute, and yet people seem to have a problem with our old money.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps