Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Ugly new US money (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ugly new US money
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I recall the mother of an English friend of mine still complaining about the "silly metric system". She prefers the old one.

About the Dollar bills: I never liked that all of them looked exactly the same - in size and color.

Even before the Euro the Deutsche Mark bills came in different sizes and colors which makes usability easier for handicapped people. I am glad they kept that idea with the Euro, yet I think the Euro bills are a tad too large. They don't fit into my wallet properly without sticking out.
Oh well, I shouldn't complain, I mainly pay with credit card anyway.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about all your nicknames for combinations of currency? I thought pound=bob=quid=guinea for the longest time until I discovered a guinea is actually a pound and a shilling.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
How about all your nicknames for combinations of currency? I thought pound=bob=quid=guinea for the longest time until I discovered a guinea is actually a pound and a shilling.

--Jonah

And a bob is a shilling.

Then you have a florin (2 shillings), a crown (5 shillings), a farthing (1/4 of a penny, from the word "fourthing"), and the self explanatory names for the small coins (halfpenny, pronounced hayp'ny, twopence, pronounced tup'nce, threepence, pronounced thrup'nce, and sixpence, pronounced sixp'nce).

Oh, and the one pound coin used to be called a sovereign.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding your bank of choice, whatever you do, avoid Bank 1. They are the devil. We hates them. We stabs their eyeses out!!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, of course, no-one under the age of 40 who isn't from some inbred northern town ever uses words like that anyway.

Well, except "quid". But you say "buck". And at least you can work out how much our coins our by looking at them. So there.

Tim is partly right though. It wasn't just the number of pennies in a pound, but the hapennies, half a crowns, and other gibberish that went with it.

People hate change. Even when it is basically good for them. Different countries resist to varying degrees. When they started using centigrade (along with farenheit) for weather reports, everyone complained. And then, a year later, they complained a bit less. And then a bit less. And now, most people who are under 40 who don't live in an inbred northern town understand centigrade perfectly fine. They have more trouble with meters and whatnot because they are not exposed to it on a regular basis.

Same thing with pound coins. Everyone complained, but they took the pound note out of circulation, people got used to it, and now prefer that pounds are coins rather than notes. In America, they'd argue about their constitutional right to having dollar bills and temperature in farenheit.

And that's why we have more widescreen TVs than you. Yes.

[ October 24, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
no-one under the age of 40 who isn't from some inbred northern town never uses words like that
So, everyone always uses them?

[ October 24, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be picky. The fact of the matter is...I can watch Buffy and Angel in widescreen on TV, and you can't.

Unless you buy the DVDs, obviously. But can you buy season 6 on DVD? No! Once again I win!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wonder if they went and replaced the $5 bill prematurely, or unneccesarily. I heard rumours once that they were going to replace the $5 bill with a coin. Just makes me wonder what it would be called... A pentie? [Confused]
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don;t watch tv, so a new qualifier must be met....

Why woiuld they call it a panty???? [Wink]

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit, pounds, shillings and pence aren't actually that hard to work out. And I've never used the things either.

The US names for coins are wierd- do any other countries do anything similar?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban, I didn't like dealing with Bank One when I worked at Colortyme in Port Huron, always had a problem with the night drop, always something they goofed up.... Well, almost always, the one guy took the drop home with him over the weekend, to Flint....

I am going to go back to National City, I think, which makes my banking esier, since that is the bank I am a courier for... I am always at a branch....

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bank 1 is evil incarnate. When I graduated from college in Columbus, it took them about 4 months to finally close my account. All the time, I was racking up late and overdraft fees. I had to call the office at least a dozen times. And all because the stupid git that "closed" my account before I left town forgot to check if I had written any checks that had not cleared yet. The lady sits there and says, "Do you have any checks that haven't cleared yet?" I looked at her blankly for a second and said, "Ma'am... you have the computer... how would I know if all my checks have cleared?" I guess she forgot to check, because there was a gas bill that hadn't cleared. It then re-opened my account, which had no money in it by now, so I got an overdraft fee... then they ran it again (it's policy) and surprise surprise...NO MONEY!! Overdraft fee number two.

The story gets worse after that.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
The US names for coins are wierd- do any other countries do anything similar?

Well, I suppose you could technically make the claim that a 5 penny piece is a shilling, but no-one calls it that.

Brits do say "coppers" to refer to one and two penny coins. But that's fairly easy to figure out, since they are, well, copper.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

National City said I could get a debit card, since Citizens First decided to revoke my debit card there when I closed my account, instead of just not fucking me....

So I am stuck at Rochester State Bank, so I have to learn to plan ahead and not count on cash deposits to take affect for 2 business days.... That is if US Bank and Bank of Springfield deny me also, which I suspect will happen....

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Australian 50c coin is a dodecagon (or is it an icosogon?)

And we were the first country to have plastic and multicoloured bank notes.

Ours have little see-through windows in them too. And textures for blind people.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps