Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » You Learn (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: You Learn
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you get it just right, you can hop out the car, and make a Jedi hand gesture that locks the car (surreptitiously using your other hand to press the button of the zapper in your pocket). Oh, I'm easily amused. . . Ooh! Shiny!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not power locks. Power locks is having a button on your car door to lock the car, instead of having to use the key or push the little locking knob on the top of the door down.

The thing Lee is describing is a Fob, its buttons on the actual key that transmit a signal to the car to lock the doors.

I don't have a Fob, but I have power locks. Like I said, I have a button on my car that if I press once, will give a 10 second delay (allowing me to grab anything and shut the door) before locking, or if I press it twice is just locks right then and there.

I only put my keys on my beltloop before getting out of the car just to make sure I actually have the keys. That, and its annoying to try and walk around and get the key attached to my belt loop at the same time.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old Cavalier had no power locks. I managed to lock my keys in the car with the keys in the ignition twice. I also managed to lock my keys in the trunk once. My Saturn has power locks. I've yet to lock them in the car. The main reason is I only use the power locks to unlock the doors, and I use the remote to lock the car up.

And thus, convenience has saved me from ever again to experience the wrath of my mother hearing me yell "shit!" upon my realization of my having locked the keys in the car.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, how did you lock your keys in your car? Don't most old cars not allow you to lock the front driver door by pushing down the knob while the door is open (to prevent you from locking your keys in, presumably).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen a car door lock operate how you've just described, Liam. With my Cavalier, the inside door locks were just above the door handle, and the locks were the horizontal sliding type. There was no knob that sat near the window for pushing in and pulling out. And I locked my keys in the car because something happened that upset the thoughtless rhythm I normally had when exiting my vehicle.

Locking my keys in the trunk was another matter. I was parked outside the band hall and was running late getting to a pep rally. I had the trunk open and was pulling my trumpet out of the case. I put set the keys in the case as I pulled out my music, shut the case, and closed the trunk. Realizing what I did, I said, "Oh, shit!" And dear mommy was standing behind me. This wouldn't have been a problem if I had an interior trunk release or fold-down back seats. I have forgotten to lock my doors that day.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I know the sort of locks you had. My brother had them too. And you couldn't lock the driver door one's while the door was open.

Actually, almost every non central locking car I've ever seen doesn't allow you to lock the driver's side door using the indoor lock while the door is open. Surely the super advanced US would have had this feature in it's cars too. Or was it declared unconstitutional?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an American's right to lock his car however he wants, and who are you to say any different? Go back to Russia, pinko!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

::shrug:: All I know, Liam, is that every car I've driven or riden in has had the ability to lock the driver-side door while the door is open.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
So, how did you lock your keys in your car? Don't most old cars not allow you to lock the front driver door by pushing down the knob while the door is open (to prevent you from locking your keys in, presumably).

The design of the door is like this. On top of the door handle is the lock itself. How one would lock their door is to simply pull the door handle to open the door, then, while your hand is still on the handle, push the lock into the locking position with the ball of your hand. I am always used to locking the door every time I leave any car. And thus led me to my predicament yesterday.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know, Liam, is that every car I've driven or riden in has had the ability to lock the driver-side door while the door is open.

My '96 Accord won't let you use the driver's side power locks with the car off and the door open unless you're holding the handle open.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega~

That can be changed - take off your door panels and screw with the locking mechanism a bit... it'll be like a whole new lock when you're done!

My Civic was like your accord 'til they "fixed" the door after the car wreck.... the thing never locked the same again [Wink]

~Liz

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My '88 CRX is like that (except no power locks). The lock is a switch right by the door handle, and you can't use it to lock the open driver's door, unless you're pulling on the handle at the same time. Of course, the way it's designed, it's very simple to pull the handle and flip the switch with one hand at the same time. So if, for some strange reason, I would ever turn off the car and not immediately pull the keys out, I'd probably lock them in.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're letting this whole car key thing steer us off target here. The real question is what sort of dirt an ex-girlfriend must have on you to get you to run convoluted boring errands for them that end up requiring you to borrow car theft tools from strangers...

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

quote:
Originally posted by the Omeganator
My '96 Accord won't let you use the driver's side power locks with the car off and the door open unless you're holding the handle open.

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Pleh
My Civic was like your accord 'til they "fixed" the door after the car wreck.... the thing never locked the same again

quote:
Originally posted by Goatee Boy
My '88 CRX is like that (except no power locks).

Call me crazy, but I'm seeing a trend here.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Americans driving Hondas. Will wonders never cease? B)
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps