Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » You Learn (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: You Learn
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I mean Hondas having funky door locks.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the flip side, all of the GM cars my family has owned (Alero, Grand Prix, Bravada, Suburban) all have power locks and all have two settings, the "hit twice, locks automatically, even when door is open" and the "hit once, close door, it locks in 10 seconds".

One annoying thing on the Alero is that if you stop the car and put it into Park, yet leave it running, both doors remain locked. So if I'm picking someone up I always forget to hit the unlock button and they're standing at the door annoyed because it wont open...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Land Rover zapper locks the car with one press, the other button unlocks the driver door on first press, the rest of the doors on the second press. Supposed to be a security feature apparently, so you can get in just your door and then hastily lock it in case someone else is trying to gain entry. Useful in dark empty car parks I guess. There's also a central door-locking button inside. But it's located on a panel with the switches for the front windows, the sunroof, and the rear window, so the chances of hitting the right button in a hurry are slim. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe there should just be a piece of software installed that lets you control all those options independently. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just buy a gun. If some fuck wants in, he'll go through your driver's side window.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Yes. Americans driving Hondas. Will wonders never cease? B)

Well, it is contrary to the regulations laid down in the Department of Homeland Security's new pamphlet "Why no-one should ever buy non-American products unless they like being hanged, drawn and quartered". [Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except most of the stuff in Hondas sold here is actually built in America. Honda is the 5th largest American automaker now, and closing quickly on 4th (DaimlerChrysler).

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the GM products thing: My girlfriend's family owns a 98 Jimmy, and she only has to press the lock button on the fob once and all the doors and the hatch locks. Press it again and the horn honks. The same thing happens with our '01 Focus. Hit the lock button on the fob once and the doors lock and the signal lights flash. Hit it again and the lights flash again and the horn honks. I've never experienced any of the funky locking situations before on any vehicle we've owned, however we've always had Fords so that may be why. Although one funky locking feature that the Focus has is that if all the doors are locked and either the driver or the front passenger locks the door, the rear doors lock as well. Also the Focus has automatic locks so that when the car is put in motion for about 5 seconds or so the doors lock.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My car doesn't even have electric locks, let alone remote-controlled ones. Woo.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can install them easily enough. With options factory-standard remote-locking mechanisms often lack. Like one door or the other, rather than just all. Like opening the boot/trunk, or one of the doors, or remote ignition if you've an automatic transmission...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it's probably not worth the money, unless you're just that lazy.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, one thing I've found really handy is if I have an armful of items headed for the trunk of the car, it makes things easier to press a button on the fob and unlock the trunk so I can just swing it open and load the stuff in.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you hold down the unlock button on our fobs, it drops the rear window down - useful if you don't have room to swing the tailgate open where you're parked. 8)

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My car doesn't even lock....

The windows don't roll up all the way anymore either....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
Member # 393

Gosh, how authentic. Does it sit in the front yard, up on bricks, surrounded by rubbish, as well? 8)

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps