Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I'm Getting Married... Today! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: I'm Getting Married... Today!
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do you just wake up with the migraines, LOA? Or does it happen at a particular time during the course of the day. Or something. I get occasional migraines, but they were much more common before I figured out that I had certain triggers: bright or glinting sunlight with no (or bad) sunglasses, wind, cold hands. In fact, I've found wringing my hands under warm running water REALLY helps. It's crazy how often I offer to do the dishes now.

Alleve (naproxen) is the first and only drug I've found that does anything (and the best part is it does so in about an hour!). Of course now there's some study that it's going to give me a stroke or whatever. Other than that, laying down someplace dark and cozy for a spell is my best bet. Or, you know, sex. I don't know how much it helps anything, but it does feel great and it take my mind off any pain...

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The headaches are random... the only thing I can count on is the fact that they will show up at some point in the day.... light definately exacerbates that problem, but it does not seem to always trigger a headache. We've cut a TON of foods out of my diet that are known "migraine triggers" (dairy, sodium, nuts, olives, chocolate, caffine, certain dyes, MSG, etc....) and it hasn't seemed to make a different. Aleve doesn't work for me... usually I take a combo of muscle relaxers and narcotic strength pain relievers for my bad ones, and just vicodin for the lesser ones. Triptans (migraine specific meds) don't seem to help, either, unless it's a really mild headache.

Ah, well... it's still just a part of life. My neurologist says some migraine sufferers are just harder to treat than others. Weird, but true. We'll get it fixed eventually though... I'm sure of that [Smile]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should stop taking all meds....

........then maybe you'll have visions! [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a migraine twice, and it was awful both times. The cure seemed to be vomiting and then passing out. Or at least that happened both times.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have them regularly. I mean, how can you do anything?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think like any kind of constant pain, one gets used to it over time.

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried vodka for my migraine headaches... kinda helps or helps make me less bitchy. I am currently on Naproxen from my doctors and so far I haven't had any major problems. Although it took different drugs to get to this point for myself also.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom used to have migraines all the time. But then she finally stopped. Evidently, the cure is menopause.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to look forward to then. I get pretty bad headaches, and it's pretty random what causes them. At times it's seemd it was not having had enough to eat, or to drink - water-wise that is, meaning I'm dehydrated. I wouldn't say I've cut alcohol out totally, but I never drink to excess anymore - I've almost developed a fear of getting hangovers. Usually I can tell as soon as I wake up in the morning if I'm going to get one. In fact, sometimes it's like getting too much sleep can cause them. But since I have to get up and give Lula her breakfast, that's not a problem these days. Unfortunately I think it really comes down to weight. I have a desk job and don't have time to exercise.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the only thing that is a red flag for me is the coffee habit that I've cultivated. Then again I'm drinking 1 cup of coffee a day now instead of 20.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. I have not (thankfully) had a headache since high school.
I rarely get sick either, but when I do, it's baaaad.

My siser gets migranes though- usually a period thing with her though.
Has your doctor ruled out hormonal imbalance in your case LOA? I dont know haw they'd measure that (or if it's even possible).

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Maybe you should stop taking all meds....

........then maybe you'll have visions! [Wink]

Or take them all at once- that'd definitely do it.

Hmmm...I dont think the world is ready for LOA the prophet just yet.
...though a branch of Christianity that uses car stereos for communion would be a big draw for new members. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Y'know, I also find it kind of odd that a chronic migraine sufferer is big into car audio. One would think that a souped up sound system would aggravate migraines...

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GASP!
A suprise twist worthy of an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, since my migraines got really out of control early this year, I haven't been able to be big on stereo equipment. I mean, don't get me wrong.... I've still had multiple installs done on my car, but I haven't been able to enjoy them, unfortunately. On good days, I'll be able to turn it up a LITTLE, but usually, the music is down low (if it's even on) and the sub is almost non-existant.

I also did a stint working at a stereo shop in Anchorage this summer.... while I loved the job more than ANYTHING, the sound of the bass as the gang-bangers came in to test out the 15"s was WAY too much for me and left me hurting for hours afterwards.

The doctors in AK couldn't treat me, anyway... so they sent me back to Spokane. And here I am. *sigh*

I would like to go back to AK though... more than ANYTHING, I'd like to go back [Razz]

And yes, Topher is right, like any chronic pain, one DOES get used to it. What used to leave me paralyzed is now pain I can function on. Sad, but true. The problems is though, along with the pain tolerance comes drug tolerance... so you just keep taking more and more and more and more.....

Eventually, my liver will explode, I'm sure of it.

As far as the hormonal imbalane is concerned, yes, they've checked for it several times, and I've come back negative for any problems, but I'm not buying it because along with the migraines, I've had some random girly problems at the SAME TIME. My gyno thinks there's no corrolation. I think she's a tool. I'm getting a new gyno next month when my medical benefits change. [Smile]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My migraines were accompanied by some sort of full-scale visual cortex freakout. The first time I was going through some papers a friend had brought back from a trip, and suddenly noticed I had lost the ability to read. I could see the letters on the page, but they just ran together into gibberish and strangeness. Plus there were weird sparkles. The second time I wasn't reading, I was in the bandroom at school, but the sparkles appeared.

This was ten years ago, so I'm assuming it was some sort of adolescent biochemical thing. I don't think I'd have the. . . I don't know, gumption? will? to make it through one every day.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My mom used to have migraines all the time. But then she finally stopped. Evidently, the cure is menopause.

Either that or you moved out. [Wink]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps