Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I'm Getting Married... Today! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: I'm Getting Married... Today!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:
And yes, Topher is right, like any chronic pain, one DOES get used to it. What used to leave me paralyzed is now pain I can function on. Sad, but true. The problems is though, along with the pain tolerance comes drug tolerance... so you just keep taking more and more and more and more.....

Eventually, my liver will explode, I'm sure of it.

Sad is'nt it?
I'm in the same boat with Percocet- I know I'm hooked, but my tolerance is so high that even the 10/650 mg versions dont have much effect.
..and I declined Demoral- That's just too dopey. Kurt Cobain dopey.

I've heard that most painkillers can be made in time-release patch form now to save the liver- I'm going to ask my doc about that next time I see him.

A friend that works in an E.R. suggested making a "resume" of doctors and treatments I've already gone through, then calling the major hospitals countrywide and faxing it to them.

Whoever has a good idea on treatment, I'll get on a plane and go to see.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Hey, Aban! Hope you're enjoying your post-wedding bliss)
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
My migraines were accompanied by some sort of full-scale visual cortex freakout. The first time I was going through some papers a friend had brought back from a trip, and suddenly noticed I had lost the ability to read. I could see the letters on the page, but they just ran together into gibberish and strangeness. Plus there were weird sparkles. The second time I wasn't reading, I was in the bandroom at school, but the sparkles appeared.

Wow, you had The Bad Kind�. Maybe you got it out of your system back then. Hope so. Usually when I start getting dizzy and any and all sensory input gets translated to pain, that's when I lay down. Before the nausea gets too bad. I've only had the sparkles once or twice and it scared me so bad I just tried to make sure I never got there again.

Sometimes there are, er, digestive things that happen. Sort of goes along with the weird muscle contraction thing. That's bad too. Last place you want to be when your ears are thundering.

LOA, I don't know if you've tried, like, accupressure, but I've had good luck with pinching a couple spots on my hands and wrists, and pressing hard in certain spots on my feet. If there's someone I don't mind touching me, there are a couple on the back too, under the shoulder blades. Yea, verily, it sounded like silly hippie shit to me too, but then I live in California and I didn't want to get stuck on a bunch of drugs. Also mine don't sound like they are nearly as bad and certainly don't come so often.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I relax after touching myself.....in the bad place. [Wink]

How's wedded bliss, Aban?
Sorry we've turned your thread into a medical discussion on pain, headaches and alternative medicine.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Accupressure was mentioned... I'm gonna mention chiropactic! I had shooting/wincing pains up the back of my neck, over my head and into my eye. The chiropractor has done good work! Gotta get a good one though - don't feel bad about trying a few or get some advice/ratings from people. Oh and make sure they are a REAL CERTIFIED chiropractor. I've heard some scary stories.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not have any notable health problems beyond needing a filling. Sorry.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some severe migranes through high school and college, but they've seem to have gone away for the most part now. And yes, we're talking the painful, barfing, light-sensitive, funny sparkly colors in front of your eyes kind. I'd like to think it was caused by stress, but there were a couple of times it made no sense, like once when I was on vacation. Even so, there are only two times out of the dozens that I can actually attribute to stress. Once I got one in the middle of a college English final. (As an engineer, I *hated* having to take liberal arts classes.) There were three essays, and the first one was okay. The second, you could start to see the degredation in my writing. I'm not even sure the third was comprehesible, what little I did write.

The other time I can pin down to stress is the one I got the night before my wedding! My parents had to take me to the hospital so I could get rid of it quick and get some rest. It was funny, looking back now. My mom told the doctor that I needed to be in a wedding the next day, and she asked what part I had in it. When my mom said I was the groom, she just said "Oh." I don't know what they gave me, but I don't remember anything after that. Somehow, word got to my wife before I showed up the next day. That, combined with the fact that I was late, really freaked her out!

I don't know why they've mostly gone away, aside from my guess about stress, but I'm glad they're gone. Of course, that's been replaced by chronic kidney stones (over 30 in 8 years)......... Now that I think about it, I'd rather have the migranes back.

B.J.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam... a "filling" - that's not a euphamism I hope! [Smile]

Ouch! Kidney stones - do you have to pass each and everyone one of them out your penis?

Didn't Shatner just show one off? Kidney stone that is not a penis.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we've tried accupressure and chiropractic. No luck.

And I only get migraines with auras every now and then.... I used to get them all the time, but the medication, while it hasn't fixed me completely, has at least gotten THOSE migraines down to something I deal with once every few weeks, instead of several times a week.

Demoral IS a dopey drug... when I go to the ER they give that to me... No Fun! It knocks me flat out for HOURS, and I feel hung over then next day.... Percocet though, that's like candy to me... same with Vicadin, Ultracet and Fiorcet... I get the same effect from taking those as I get from eating skittles most days. That's 'cause I've taken too much of it.... [Razz]

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Ouch! Kidney stones - do you have to pass each and everyone one of them out your penis?

Yes. It's no fun. Luckily, most of mine have been small enough to pass with no problems. Then there's the occasional spiked one that gets stuck and puts me in intense sharp pain. I have to go to the hospital, but usually all they can do is give me pain killers and push fluids. Ultrasound is used only with really huge ones that wouldn't be able to pass, and I haven't had to do that yet. I also haven't had to have a catheter go up and grab one yet (thank goodness!). So pretty much with all kidney stones, that's they way they have to come out. Really puts a damper on things sometimes. As for Shatner's, his is what I would probably call a relatively minor one.

Whether it's migranes or kidney stones, demoral is usually what they give me in the hospital. And whatever they gave me most recently also gave me the runs, but I think that med was for the nausea. Luckily, I haven't developed a tolerance for anything yet, because I have a nice bottle of percoset just waiting for the next problem.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ow. My dad has had a few kidney stones. One of them, they had to put a catheter with a little basket on the end of it in, and go fish the little booger out. He had to walk around with a tube and a string hanging out of his Johnson fora week or so until the swelling went down. Then they had to pull that out. I think he cried.

The only migrain I've ever had was dealing with my boss that just got fired. And I suppose that wasn't really a medical condition.

Wedded bliss is great thus far. We're back from the honeymoon and we're slowly getting the house squared away. This is my first day back at work, so she's getting used to her routine. I would recommend our honeymoon to anyone. We drove around the back roads and penninsulas of Northern Michigan (lower penninsula) around the area of Travers City. Other than hotel bills, it was dirt cheap, and we got all kinds of time to talk and get to know one another better. We just had a little adventure together and it was really nice.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My migraines were accompanied by some sort of full-scale visual cortex freakout. The first time I was going through some papers a friend had brought back from a trip, and suddenly noticed I had lost the ability to read. I could see the letters on the page, but they just ran together into gibberish and strangeness. Plus there were weird sparkles."

I've had that once or twice before, except, strangely, without the migraine part. (I rarely even have headaches.) It was as if my brain had suddenly decided to reject oxygen and die on me for five minutes.

Then I passed out, and the problem solved itself.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm in the same boat with Percocet- I know I'm hooked, but my tolerance is so high that even the 10/650 mg versions dont have much effect."
"I have not (thankfully) had a headache since high school."

Hm... I wonder why...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I've only been on Percocets for about 2 years....gradually ramping up the doseages as things get worse.
If someone got hold of my percocet to get high, they'd likely get more than they bargianed for. [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by LOA:
Demoral IS a dopey drug... when I go to the ER they give that to me... No Fun! It knocks me flat out for HOURS, and I feel hung over then next day.... Percocet though, that's like candy to me... same with Vicadin, Ultracet and Fiorcet... I get the same effect from taking those as I get from eating skittles most days. That's 'cause I've taken too much of it.... [Razz]

Ug...I had a baaad run in with Vicadin.
I was broke and out of Percocets so a friend gave me four Vicadin tabs (the kind you break apart into four section "bars" each). I was in serious pain so I took a "bar" and it did...nothing. Figuring my resistance to percocet was blocking things, I took a whole tab.

Then it was Wednsday.

I later found out that I'd gone to my local breakfast joint for tea (as usual) and went to the post office to get a package- all via car- and lost all memory of the day.

Scary stuff, that Vicadin.
If you ever encounter a time traveling future version of yourself, and need to erase your own memory to prevent a causality loop, Vicadin is my reccomendation. Mabye that's what happened on that tuesday....hmmm...

"Ultraset" sounds intresting- like a superhero drug: Someone call Hourman!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Vicodin". And "Demerol". Just for the record.
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*thwaps Tim*

Because I can.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps