Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I'm Getting Married... Today! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: I'm Getting Married... Today!
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there are roughly seven billion guides like this, and probably roughly seven billion threads like this as well, but, just to cruelly intercut Jason and Magic's budding romance (and help LOA, of course):

quote:

Men's rules (critical information for women):

These are our rules! Please note... these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE!

1. Men are NOT mind readers.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

1. Sunday sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

1. Shopping is NOT a sport. And no, we are never going to think of it that way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one:

Subtle hints do not work!
Strong hints do not work!
Obvious hints do not work!
Just say it!

1. Yes and no are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.

1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.

1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.

1. Christopher Columbus did NOT need directions and neither do we.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will be scratched. We do that.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing", we will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine... really.

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as baseball, the shotgun formation, or golf.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. Round IS a shape!

1. Thank you for reading this. Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight; but did you know men really don't mind that? It's like camping.

Pay special attention to number 1. B)
MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did I say him?!? I meant me! ME!
see what happens when you think of others? Shit! Never think of others first!

Hmmm...ignoring Cartmans interruption...can be arranged I am in Orlando from 15th December remember? Just have to find a way to ditch my girlfriend for an hour or two....
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman's rules are all rediculously true. Except, with geek guys like me, you need to replace all mentions of "sports" with "Star Trek", or "Stargate".

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so the other week, I was cooking dinner, and I made some girl comment about how one of my friends at work just got proposed to and how I'm so jealous 'cause she got a pretty new ring, blah, blah, blah.... well, Scott says to me "Well, do you even want to spend the rest of your life with me?"

I didn't know how to answer.

In my head I'm screaming "YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!" but this little voice is saying "It's a test... don't scare him away...."

So instead I said "I dunno... I haven't decided yet...." in a kidding tone.

Now I'm wondering if I should have said something different. 'cause what if that was his way of feeling me out, and I TOTALLY made him think that I don't wanna marry him yet. But on the other hand, I was afraid that if I said yes, and he was hoping for a no, he'd have gotten freaked out.

So blah. This sucks.

His family keeps talking about us getting married... ALL of them. Mine, too, but my family is psycho, so that doesn't mean nearly as much to me.

Anyway, I dunno what to do here, kiddies.... but i do want a commitment from the guy... which is weird, 'cause up 'til now, I've been as anti-commitment as they come.....

~LOA

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I definitely wouldn't try to have the conversation when he's stuck with you for the rest of the night, especially if it's a brand new thought. For instance, in the middle of cooking dinner when he's guaranteed to have to be there for the next 4 or 5 hours, would've been the wrong time to say, "I'm thinking I'd really like to be married to you" for the very first time. I think he'll definitely need time to let it sit without feeling like an answer is expected in the next 30 minutes. I'd talk to him about it over lunch, or some other midday meeting after which he will be going away.

Tell him you'd like to run something by him for him to think about over the next week or so. After you talk about it, depending how it goes, say, "Maybe we can talk about it again next week."

Then *don't bring it up again for a week*.

You may be surprised. He may be thinking the very same thing and you won't have to wait a week for your answer. But chances are, if that's the direction he was heading, you'd know it. You just have to have to have to tell him what you're thinking and give him the chance to feel how he feels and decide what he wants on his own time table.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:
Okay, so the other week, I was cooking dinner, and I made some girl comment about how one of my friends at work just got proposed to and how I'm so jealous 'cause she got a pretty new ring, blah, blah, blah.... well, Scott says to me "Well, do you even want to spend the rest of your life with me?"

In my head I'm screaming "YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!" but this little voice is saying "It's a test... don't scare him away...."

That little voice is obviously a woman. If he didn't mean it, he wouldn't have said it.

quote:
Now I'm wondering if I should have said something different. 'cause what if that was his way of feeling me out, and I TOTALLY made him think that I don't wanna marry him yet. But on the other hand, I was afraid that if I said yes, and he was hoping for a no, he'd have gotten freaked out.
Again, he wouldn't have said it if he didn't mean it. If he was hoping for a no, he wouldn't have even come close to mentioning it!

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would have even thought about getting married before my (now) wife started asking me "So when are you going to ask me?". Blunt and to the point. That's how you talk to guys and actually get your point across.

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I see it, there are two possible situations here. One is that he's interested in (or, at least, amenable to) marrying you at some point. In that case, bringing it up wouldn't be a problem.

The other possibility is that he doesn't want to marry you at all, and will, as you put it, "get freaked out". And, if that's the case, who cares if he ends the relationship? If you want marriage, and it's not going to happen, what are you planning to do? Just hang on to him until someone marriable comes along?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaGiC:
quote:
Did I say him?!? I meant me! ME!
see what happens when you think of others? Shit! Never think of others first!

Hmmm...ignoring Cartmans interruption...can be arranged I am in Orlando from 15th December remember? Just have to find a way to ditch my girlfriend for an hour or two....
Sweet.
I will make it happen....(plots distractions, interruptions, excuses to get away for a few hours...)
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:

So instead I said "I dunno... I haven't decided yet...." in a kidding tone.

~LOA

Er....you could have said something like "well I love you, so I thiink we'd be good together" (assuming you've said -and meant- the Three Big Words- if not- run like hell, 'cause he's not going to marry you without knowing that).

You might have some damage control to do, but you can bring it up by just saying "I was thinking about what you said the other night..."

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course we've said the "Three Big Words"

But here's the thing.... he's like the uber man.... as manish as a guy can get. He doesn't like a lot of affection or sappyness, so we don't get all ooshy gooshy with eachother ever.

Now, I'm like the uber girl. I WANT the sappiness and romance.... so I think that's part of what confuses me about him. But I understand, he's just being himself, so I try not to let it get to me....

Now, this is why the man is hard to read: As I said, he's not super affectionate, and he's not one to talk about his feelings very often. Plus, he likes throwing me off with things, because usually people can't throw me off. He enjoys the challenege.

You guys say that if he wants to get married, he'd probably just tell me. I don't believe that to be true. He's the type that will continue to PREACH TO THE WORLD that he will never get married until the day that he shocks me with a ring. So even though he keeps saying he doesn't want to ever get married, I don't know if he means it or not.

He did this same type of thing to me last Valentine's day. I was out of town for the week prior, and he made a HUGE to-do out of how he HATES valentine's day, and he'll never participate in it, and I'd better not be expecting anything, because it's not going to happen, and he doesn't want me getting all butt-hurt about it. He also made it ABUNDANTLY clear that I'd better not get him ANYTHING, because he hates the holiday so much that if I get him anything, it's over.

So I didn't get him anything.

And I got off the plane that valentine's day morning, he was there waiting, and instead of taking me home, he took me on a romantic getaway. He had flowers, chocolates, stuffed animals, dinner reservations, a suite at a hotel.... everything you can imagine, all set up. It was like the valentine's day dream package.

And again I say, I didn't get him anything. Why? Because he was SO ADAMENT about hating the holiday that I believed him.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I never know what to think with the guy. Pleh. You say men are easy to figure out? I say that's a dirty lie! [Razz]

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy is my hero.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He sounds like a twat, is what.
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

He's not a twat... he's my boyfriend, and I love him more than I ever thought I'd love anyone... [Razz]

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's Spock with a romantic streak.

Sounds pretty cool....I doubt you'll have to rent a billboard to get him to propose- he might just be saving up for a ring for all you know. [Wink]

Though I'd still pay to see you wrestle Aban's wife for- I'm sure he would too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So even though he keeps saying he doesn't want to ever get married, I don't know if he means it or not."

Then ASK him seriously, seriously. If he cares about you at all (ie. if he isn't some joker who likes to toy with you for the fun of it), he'll tell you how he really feels.

(People who never say what they mean also never mean what they say, and are twats.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

He's not going to get into it if he's planning a suprise of it though- it could lead to an argument (something no man looks for) and then any engagment suprise would seem like he's just backed into it.

See how the anniversary goes first.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps