Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Obligatory "Charles made me do it" post (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Obligatory "Charles made me do it" post
Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lee, TSN!

And hello to all the newer folks, too.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elim Garak used to live a short distance from me. Went to the same university. Now he's closer to Lee than anyone else.

Which reminds me...

*summons PsyLiam*

*summons Daryus Aden*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it amusing that nobody ever summons First of Two. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone remembered my real name [Embarrassed]

Has it really been 2 years? I thought it was longer than that. I've lost track. Life's changed a lot. Long story, hope you are up to it.

The last time I posted I was actually unemployed and living off ramen and macaroni and cheese. I gained a lot of weight in that time period. A couple months later, I was hired to do tech support for Adelphia, and have been working at the same place(even after the Time Warner takeover). I've been living out of the 'rents home since 2004, and for two years living in Lockport, NY where I commute to downtown Buffalo for my job.

Recently, because I weigh over 500lbs, I've been seeking gastric bypass surgery. This journey has led to the discovery of a thyroid problem I've been having for years and it was unnoticed until now. It is not a big deal but may have contributed to years of weight gain. I have been approved by my insurance and my surgeon is looking into locations to have the surgery done if it is found I am too large to have it done locally. I am looking forward to being free again.

I discovered that my bachelor of arts degree in Chemistry was not enough for my preferred college's teacher certification program, so I am also back in school taking classes to that end. I hope to be a full-fledged genuine teacher by the time I'm 30. I'm 27. Being 27 scares the shit out of me. God has become a greater part of my life, too.

I'm still single too. Kinda sucks but with all that's going on right now it might not be so bad. I'm sure there's more to this story, but I'm all typed out. If you guys want to, my AIM name is JeffRaven65. My email for YIM and MSN is [email protected] Since I was receiving a dozen spam messages a day in ICQ, I have since shut that down.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
500 is big- you can still get around allright by yourself?
Losing the weight will save your knees if nothing else...and you'll have enough excess skin to become a flying squirell (though they'll doubtlessly schedule additional procedures when that becomes an issue).

Hmmm...have you tried thyroid medications as an alternative to bariatric surgery (or to lose some weight in preperation for the surgery)?

Have you considered that Lapband thing instead of Bariatric? Sounds less involved and the recovery time is much less.

I assume your work is okay with you being out on disability for an extended period for recovery (techincally, they have to be, but many bosses will hold it against you anyway in some form or another).

Good luck with it!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question is, does all of that take into account the cosmetic surgery that will be required to remove the extra skin?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the sound of the idea of being a flying squirrel.

In Australia they are called Sugar-gliders... and they might only exist in Australia - flying squirrel may have been an Americanisation of the name for the Australian marsupial.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, y'know...not.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am big. While I don't exactly look like I'm 500lbs, I have a lot of muscle from my years playing football. I can still get around, but I have constant back pain and walking for more than 30 minutes is very rough. Imagine having to carry around 15 20lb bricks with you everywhere you go. That's what I'm doing right now.

Lap band was another solution but it is not as effective, and it can be defeated much easier than bariatric. Bariatric patients usually see 50% loss of their excess body fat over time, and usually permanently. I don't know the figures but from what I was told it's less than that for lap band. Plus I plan to get rid of most of my excess body fat. I want to get back into weight lifting again.

My thyroid medication wasn't the sole problem and it won't be the sole solution either.

I can't imagine them holding it against me. I'm not doing this for cosmetic reasons, I'm doing it for health reasons. In the long run, the healthier I am, the better I'll be at coming to work, and the less sick time I'll be using.

As for the excess skin, that's handled later, usually by a plastic surgeon. Again, the key is having it done for health reasons and not cosmetic reasons. A good primary care physician will help me there, and document the health risks of excess skin. Most insurance will cover abdominoplasty, but the arms and legs aren't.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
500lbs?! Shit. I'm having as hard time reconciling that with the only picture we ever saw, you as buff football player. You're actually on my YM and MSNM BTW, say hi if you ever see me.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

This is one of the latest photos of me

As you can see I'm no small fry anymore.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might think he doesn't look that big, but keep in mind that that crucifix is 1:1 scale.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back... err... good that your alive.

Now for something random:

Christmas won't be the same this time

[ April 16, 2007, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Mikey T ]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

Ok, to sum up.

I run this company (In Australia anyway) www.ebizneeds.com

I got married.

Expecting first child in 3 weeks.

OK that should sum it up.

Shik
Member # 343

Curry for all.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps