Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've got gas this morning! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: I've got gas this morning!
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Gas here lately is hovering around $1.10-1.15 per litre. My current car gets 30 MPG, usually, so its not too awful bad. Although a motorcycle this summer for the commute to work would be pretty sweet.

Damn right it is! Although the best are those early morning Sundays when the traffic is almost nonexistent. Words can't describe the experience, it's almost like a total Zen kind of thing.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My uncle took me on his bike around town when I was 8. Then he took me offroad and almost killed me. And the funny thing is, you're right, it was very Zen (although of course I didn't know that word then) and I was hardly scared at all even after we wiped out.
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first motorcycling experience was when my cousin took me downtown on his motorcycle.

Probably wasn't a good idea to take the interstate. But I loved it.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Gas here lately is hovering around $1.10-1.15 per litre. My current car gets 30 MPG, usually, so its not too awful bad. Although a motorcycle this summer for the commute to work would be pretty sweet.

^ The conversions necessary to make sense of that statement are horrid.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember going to Canada a few years ago and seeing gas at .89 cents per litre.

You know what else I like about Canada?

Bags of milk. At the lodge we stayed in, we couldn't figure out what a strange looking pitcher was for ( we didn't know that it was for the bags of milk), and since we had brought our own milk up with us, we just refilled the jug with the milk from bags... It was messy.

BACK TO THE TOPIC...

I think I'll hate motorcycles as much as I hate Jet Skis, and Snowmobiles. Too dangerous...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like milkbags....

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should mention those conversions in the same few posts as milk... on another board I was on a few years ago a bunch of people were complaining about the cost of gas, and someone went in and said "What about a gallon of milk?"

Half of us rolled our eyes. The rest of the bunch were like, "you people buy milk by the gallon?"

But we spent a good while agonizing over the conversions, too...

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I know, the conversions are horrid. But the metric way of computing fuel mileage doesn't make sense to me, so I convert to MPG.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto. It's about $2.15 a litre at the station down my road (maybe 5/6c cheaper nearby). That works out at about $8.65 a gal, with my car doing about 35 mpg (about 40 us gal per mile). About 85% of that is tax.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy shit! $8.65 per gallon? Is that in USD, or CAD? And we complain that we have it bad at 3 bucks a gallon, which is also about the same price we pay for milk. I am always afraid that I will drop the bags of milk that we get from the IGA in Northbrook when we vacation, so I don't touch them. I also have a fondness for canadian hot dog buns, you know, the ones that look like mini loafs of bread sliced down the middle. THey hold condoments better.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I got this in an e-mail a while ago.
--------------------------------------
Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...

Compare with Gasoline......

Think a gallon of gas is expensive?

This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ....... $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 .$9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 .... $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 . $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 . $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 . $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 .. $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 . . $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ....$84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

Evian water 9 oz $1.49..........$21.19 per gallon?! $21.19 for WATER - and the buyers don't even know the source. (Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)

---------------------------------

--------------------

-George Carlin

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:

I think I'll hate motorcycles as much as I hate Jet Skis, and Snowmobiles. Too dangerous...

You think Jet Skis are dangerous? You fall off and get wet, how is that dangerous?

Motorcycles are only dangerous in two instances. 1: When the rider is too inexperienced for the bike he's riding. and 2: When cage driving nitwits don't watch where they're going.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Aquaphobia.

--------------------

-George Carlin

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sean:
[qb] Motorcycles are only dangerous in two instances. 1: When the rider is too inexperienced for the bike he's riding. and 2: When cage driving nitwits don't watch where they're going.

You forgot 3: When the idiot on the crotch rocket doesn't watch where he's going and/or drives like an idiot. (i.e. Cutting in and out of lanes, driving down the center, etc.) And there's also 4: When you're not wearing a fucking helmet.

I really try not to prejudge motorcyclists, but the fact is that a disproportionate number of them are absolute idiots.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps