Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've got gas this morning! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: I've got gas this morning!
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gatorade is *not* $10 a gallon. I bought a gallon of gatorade the other day and it cost me $4.98 plus tax.

I remember a few years ago my grandad told me the price for petrol in Jarrow had hit what converted to about $8.50 a gallon. Don't know if it's higher or lower than that now, though. I seem to recall him mentioning they were rationing it at some point so that you couldn't buy more than a certain amount per week?

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sean:
[qb] Motorcycles are only dangerous in two instances. 1: When the rider is too inexperienced for the bike he's riding. and 2: When cage driving nitwits don't watch where they're going.

You forgot 3: When the idiot on the crotch rocket doesn't watch where he's going and/or drives like an idiot. (i.e. Cutting in and out of lanes, driving down the center, etc.) And there's also 4: When you're not wearing a fucking helmet.

I really try not to prejudge motorcyclists, but the fact is that a disproportionate number of them are absolute idiots.

We like to call them "squids". No one quite knows how the phrase came to be. Most people agree it was coined by a paramedic who attended the scene of a motorcycle accident in which the riders lower half was separated from his torso and his entrails were splayed out like the tentacles of a squid.

I'll admit I've cracked open the throttle on a public road, there's nothing like going from 60 to 160 in less time than it takes to squeeze out that little ball of fear building up in your bowels. But I disagree with your statement, it's stereotypical in the extreme. There are many responsible riders (yes, even crotch rocket riders) that keep their head and fight the urge to do anything stupid.

And what makes you think there are any more stupid riders than there are stupid cage drivers? I've been cut off, tailgated, run off the road, and struck because "people couldn't see me." It happens EVERY single time I hit the road. 2/3 of all motorcycle accidents involve another vehicle, and 2/3 of those accidents are caused by the other motorist violating the motorcyclists right of way. So before you go thinking that a disproportionate number of motorcyclists are idiots, stop and think about what that motorcyclist thinks of YOUR driving habits.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad is a paramedic, and he tells of the countless times he has to collect a snowmobileer's body, and then search for the head 300 yards away. Some bastards around here like to string wire across the trees of the trails that cross their properties, which accounts for the two piece snowmobileers. So I think I'll stay off of the Kawasaki. And they go too fast. I dont like fast things, where I am exposed to open air, like speed boats, and the afore mentioned alternate transportation methods.

And I think they were thinking of the smaller bottles of Gatorade, not the huge value bottles.

But c'mon people. Evian? That much for water ?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm betting before I click that that will be a video of Jim Gaffigan. Nope.

I drink water all the time from the tap. Not straight cuz it tastes bad but you know, tea, etc.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Appearently, America is one of the cheapest areas to buy gas.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A guy I know on LJ is a trucker. recently he filled up & took this picture:

He said about 30 or 40 gallons of that was to fill the reefer tank he was pulling, but still. A few days later, he filled again & it was $60 more.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Appearently, America is one of the cheapest areas to buy gas."

Sure, but, as the article points out, our mass transit sucks by comparison. People in countries where gas is more expensive don't have to buy as much of it. Plus, their prices are higher because of higher taxes, so they actually get something back from what they pay. Our money just drops right into the pockets of the oil execs.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here's the big thing I don't understand: Everyone talks about the gas prices going up, but noone ever talks about why. Food prices are going up because gas prices are going up. But why are gas prices going up? If people are driving less because of high prices, shouldn't prices be going down? Or at the very least stabalizing? But they don't. They just keep going up.

I'm no economist, but shouldn't gas companies be competing with one another? They're not doing that either. They're all the same price.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In two months, I will be living within and working within walking distance of the DC Metro and will not own a car. Hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

My dad is convinced he needs to buy a motorcycle, because it gets 50 mpg. He says it should pay for itself in like a year compared to how much it takes him to fill up the car he drives to work every day. I think he may be right.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Aban: There was an article about that recently. Every economist did indeed expect the obvious to happen - people would drive less and prices would fall. However, it's hard for people to drive less because our public transportation sucks, and the non-OPEC oil producers such as Russia simply aren't increasing supply. They've had problems with their refineries and drills and so on. Pretty soon the problem will be that there isn't enough oil left to increase supply.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
My dad is convinced he needs to buy a motorcycle, because it gets 50 mpg. He says it should pay for itself in like a year compared to how much it takes him to fill up the car he drives to work every day. I think he may be right.

Kawasaki's new "Versys" gets up to 52 mpg. It's an entry-level "adventure" touring bike, very nice ride too. Suzuki's V-Strom is another decent little bike, but it looks like junk.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
And here's the big thing I don't understand: Everyone talks about the gas prices going up, but noone ever talks about why. Food prices are going up because gas prices are going up. But why are gas prices going up? If people are driving less because of high prices, shouldn't prices be going down? Or at the very least stabalizing? But they don't. They just keep going up.

I'm no economist, but shouldn't gas companies be competing with one another? They're not doing that either. They're all the same price.

I think I've heard that other countries like India and China are increasing their demand for oil which is responsible for driving up the price per barrel. While I imagine the price OPEC charges has an impact on the price per gallon, but I mostly blame Shell, Texaco and other oil companies making massive profits. As long as they can get people to keep paying $3.50 they have no desire to reduce their profit. Plus I figure they buy enough congressmen in DC to keep the government from stepping in against them.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Are there any laws/loopholes that allow the gov't to stabalize the price of gas and oil, if they ever decide to?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can prosecute them for collusion.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps