Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've got gas this morning! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: I've got gas this morning!
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but we really can't do anything about OPEC's prices, except perhaps boycott them, which we would never do.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, this is what my dad has decided to buy to save on gas.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A hybrid could help save some money on the pump. I saw a Prius with a customize license plate that said "60MPH". However I live in Denver and AWD is a must.

I know there's little we can do about OPEC. On the one hand I would think the government could put some kind of pressure on them, like lower prices/increase production or we cut off aid or something like that. There's still the companies like Shell to deal with though. Some how I think even if OPEC went back to charging like $40 a barrel the gas wouldn't cost what it did per gallon when it was $40.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
So, this is what my dad has decided to buy to save on gas.

Does him no good unless he has a motorcycle license.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Which he doesn't. His motorcycle experience consists of jumping motorbikes off of the curb at the end of our street when he was younger.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then he can't ride it & he spent money on nothing unless he gets trained up & redoes his license.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
A hybrid could help save some money on the pump. I saw a Prius with a customize license plate that said "60MPH". However I live in Denver and AWD is a must.

Apparently those hybrids are more expensive in the long run than a regular gas car. I was talking to one of the mechanics at work and he tells me the battery in a Prius costs over $10,000 dollars. And they only last a hand-full of years.

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Then he can't ride it & he spent money on nothing unless he gets trained up & redoes his license.

It's actually very easy to get a motorcycle license, at least in Canada. The first test is just a written test for your learners permit, then it's just a simple road test for your full license. Because you already have your regular drivers license you already know the rules of the road, the instructor is just looking at your technique really.

Oh and Sean, tell your dad to start on something used. A 750 is a good size for a beginner cruiser, but for the first few years he should be on something a little cheaper to maintain and repair, since almost everyone drops it when they're just starting out. It would really suck for him to buy a brand new shiny bike then drop it a week later. Not saying it'll happen, but the chance is much higher for beginners. It's better to start cheap and go fancy after you've gotten some experience under your belt. And jumping motorbikes off a curb does not count.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I saw a Prius with a customize license plate that said '60MPH'."

MPH, or MPG? 'Cause there's something of a difference.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone told me prices just hit $3.85 here. That's up from $3.79 on my way to work this morning and $3.68 on my way home yesterday. This is the only product in the world that can go up in price like this day after day after day. Shouldn't that say something?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my bad, MPG

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, he ordered the bike yestersay, so I guess used is out of the question. He is mechanically inept, so anything that needs more than an oil change is out of the question. Gas here is 3.89 as of my bus ride home 5 minutes ago, and was 3.72 this morning.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"I saw a Prius with a customize license plate that said '60MPH'."

MPH, or MPG? 'Cause there's something of a difference.

Al Gore's son was stopped for doing 100 mph in a Prius.

I know a couple of Prius owners, and nither have had battery trouble.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Power Split Device FTW!
Hobbes
Member # 138

So here's what I don't get...

Ok, basically first you have OPEC producing less barrels per day which limits supply and drives up prices. Then you have more countries increasing their demand as well. Most notably India and China, as well as other developing countries trying to pull out of the third world status and live like Americans despite hating us because of our spoiled lifestyle.

I digress. So anyway, decreased supply and increased demand by other countries drives up the price. I guess the question is, with gas prices as they are and people reducing their driving and gas usage you would think it would reduce the amount used which ought to drive down prices.

Also with the popularity of hybrids... which brings about another question, you think the oil companies are pissed about the popularity of hybrids and keep the prices up. Maybe as a well of justifying the apparent loss in profits by hybrid owners spending less?

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I think that a lot of people don't realize that the proposed gas tax holiday would actually drive up the price of gas. If the price is lowered because of less tax, people in America are going to use more gas, or at least stock up, so they will be buying more, which will increase demand. That increased demand will drive the price of gas back up, and then when the tax is added again, it will probably be more expensive than before.

My dad got his motorcycle the other day though, so he could care less now. 60 mpg, 3.9 gal tank... he even got fringe to velcro on to his leather bmber jacket. It is hilarious.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps