Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I've got gas this morning! (Page 9)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: I've got gas this morning!
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who's visiting North Carolina right now...she lives in Texas; I'll ask her to report gas prices of both states so we can all go oooh! or DAMN! as appropriate. [Razz]
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kosh:
I need to come to Bama to get my gas!! I saw 3.67 in South Carolina, on the way back from Surf Side beach in June. It was 3.97 when I went to lunch today.

When prices were going up, it could change from hour to hour, now that it is down, it takes a day.

It was $3.59 today. [Razz]

But yeah, how come the prices go up like a rocket, but they take forever to come back down? (As if I didn't know.) [Mad]

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Bush took office, gas was $1.46 a gallon. Or so I hear.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

GRAGH DOUBLE! IGNORE!
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why Pelosi is being such a bitch and blocking any attempt at a vote on off-shore drilling. Even Obama said very recently that he supports it. I don't like our dependence on oil, but until we change people's minds about nuclear power (which even Greenpeace backtracked on recently), it's pretty much all we've got. Besides the fact that even if we don't go after that oil, the Russians and Chinese are already there, drilling just off of our shores.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about this, so feel free to correct me, but wouldn't it take about 10 years to see the results of off-shore drilling?

Also, aren't there several areas of the US where the oil companies have claimed there land and then proceeded to do nothing, preferring to wait until they'll get (even) more money for it?

And wouldn't the amount of oil generated in ten years time be less than 1% of the world's output? I can't see that having much of a difference.

According to some web-sites I just looked up, the average mpg for US cars is 24.7, while it's about 32 mpg for UK cars. I'd be curious to know if everyone knew what mpg their car got.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Are those sites using the same kind of gallons? US gallons and Imperial gallons are not equal.

My '94 Ford Explorer only gets 17.5 mpg. But I bought it for only $2k when my last car died, so I figure it's a wash in the costs for me. Eventually I'll replace it with something that gets much better mileage.

As for the drilling, for some reason the people who set the current price do so based on future availability. So yes, it would be a while before we saw anything tangible, but the price would be immediately affected. And here's a bit of postulating, but we could use the money saved now to develop better/alternative technologies that don't rely so much on oil so that we wouldn't need the oil as much when it comes available in ~10 years. It's kinda circular logic, but whatever works is good for me.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I'm not sure about this, so feel free to correct me, but wouldn't it take about 10 years to see the results of off-shore drilling?

Also, aren't there several areas of the US where the oil companies have claimed there land and then proceeded to do nothing, preferring to wait until they'll get (even) more money for it?

And wouldn't the amount of oil generated in ten years time be less than 1% of the world's output? I can't see that having much of a difference.

According to some web-sites I just looked up, the average mpg for US cars is 24.7, while it's about 32 mpg for UK cars. I'd be curious to know if everyone knew what mpg their car got.

My Accent gets 31mpg, 32 with the wind behind me.

Off shore wouldn't be available for 10 years, plus there is only about two years worth of oil at just the USA rate of consumption. McCain voted some time ago that if we drill, the oil should be on the open market, so after 10 years of waiting and billions spent to get the oil, it'd last about a week.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I heard about a man who built a hydrogen station in his backyard - solar-powered water electrolysis = free hydrogen for his fuel cell car. It's funny how easy it is to power something that people in the West seem to think is so difficult (as I understand it, they've implemented a lot of hydrogen fuel cell cars in Japan - truth?).
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but this page looks like a good place to start.

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

Oh yeah, Gas price per gallon 8/5/08 was 3.93.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old 1.25 Fiesta got 41mpg (34 US mpg) when new, and I'm not sure how much they drop over time. I'm saving up for a Focus, either a 1.6 petrol (40 UK mpg) or a 1.8 Diesel (about 60 mpg) depending on what I can afford.

The main difference is in emmissions. The 98 Fiesta, smaller in both body and engine size does 171 g/km squared of CO2, wheras the bigger Focus does 165. If I got a a post-2005 Focus, it drops further to 159. Apparently all they had to do to get companies to reduce the emmissions their cars made was to pass the cost onto the customers (who are therefore much less likely to buy the "dirty" cars).

I have no idea what an Accent or a Ford Explorer is. Are they big and grr?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I have no idea what an Accent or a Ford Explorer is. Are they big and grr?

-
(BTW, my Explorer looks like the one at the top of the wiki article, only black.)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ah, yes. The Explorer certainly isn't overkill at all for an ordinary family car driving around relatively flat terrain. God bless America.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Our family car is actually a minivan. The Explorer is basically my commuter vehicle, and I wouldn't have bought it except for the fact that my previous car died (i.e. need a replacement NOW!), it was the right price, and I knew the previous owner.

Besides, most minivans don't come with a trailer hitch, or are really capable of towing anything! [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps