Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » With Apologies to Our Canadian Friends... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: With Apologies to Our Canadian Friends...
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Soviet Union was invaded by capitalism, McDonald's and the such, just not a military one. Plus the Soviet Union did have several different leaders, not a single one, and with the changing leadership one finally came to office that changed things. The same can't be said for Iraq.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point was that nobody needed to roll tanks in there or elsewhere to cause change, thus disproving Rob's knee-jerk assertion that the only way dictatorships fall is when the good ol' U! S! A! decides to teach them a thang or two about dem-aw-crah-see from the barrel of a tank. (Indeed, a hefty chunk of the dicatorships created in the past fifty years were created by America, but that's another story.)

And Mikhail Gorbachev neither wanted to nor planned to end the Soviet Union.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When referring to Chile, do you mean the rise or fall of Pinochet? If the former, bear in mind that it was the US that put him there. They just did that particular "regime change" surreptitiously.
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, I said NOTHING WHATSOEVER about hotels, or buying stuff, (or whatever it is you claim you do) but you seemed to create a theory based on that fact.

Shit. Thats exactly how you justified the war too.

Try this for a Monty Python theme: Armaments Chapter 2, verses 9-21. "Oh lord, bless this thy handgrenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy".

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are basing your arguments off of what? What the media tells you? Yeah, every bomb and missile we launch hits a 6 year old girl with an IQ of 567. All our helicopters crash in the middle of a desert. Marines always die. All our bombs hit civilian buildings. According to this media as well, apparently it's only B-52s, stealth bombers doing the bombing.

Media thinks it's bad when we loose two Marines, but think nothing of the 20,000 troops we killed through bombing and the invasion forces.

Yeah, let's keep watching the news, maybe we killed another inocent civilian somewhere. Maybe a 17 year old boy with intents of throwing over Saddam himself and making Iraq the best country to live in within ten years. Or what about the other children and adults?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: the fall.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yeah, every bomb and missile we launch hits a 6 year old girl with an IQ of 567. All our helicopters crash in the middle of a desert. Marines always die. All our bombs hit civilian buildings. According to this media as well, apparently it's only B-52s, stealth bombers doing the bombing."

Funny, the American media must be depicting a different war.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or at least the military is. In the past news all I have seen is the White House saying the regime is gone, and no one knows where Saddam is.

About the 6 year old girl with the 567 IQ, that was a joke.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must see different news than other people. The news that I see glorifies the war and downplays civilian casualties. Where's this news that actually makes a point of letting us know about the bad bits (read: most) of the war?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think most of the results of this war are bad (obviously as compared to the alternative), then yes, you've been watching a completely different war.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minister Magoo can not be wrong....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I must see different news than other people. The news that I see glorifies the war and downplays civilian casualties. Where's this news that actually makes a point of letting us know about the bad bits (read: most) of the war?

On non-US news channels, mainly. The crazyness!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit, the US media is doing a remarkably good imitation of a state controlled media, pumping out pro-government propaganda.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The only difference is that, other places, the gov't controls the media. Here, the gov't and media are both controlled by corporations. It only gives the impression that the media are doing what the gov't wants. Really, they're just both doing what their corporate sponsors want.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Yes.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps