Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » With Apologies to Our Canadian Friends... (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: With Apologies to Our Canadian Friends...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ah, but just breathing gives SOMEONE reason, especially when you're high-profile.
But not Clinton, that was completely different.

quote:
And hundreds of dead people will vote Democratic again that year.
Well, if they continue with the trend established before the last election, that of removing the right to vote from members of minorities (who'd traditionally vote Democrat) convicted of felonies, then in Florida at least the dead will be the ONLY people who CAN vote Democrat. Especially when you take into account all the other members of those minorities voting for Buchanan. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voting for Buchanan should be a felony [Wink]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that of removing the right to vote from members of minorities (who'd traditionally vote Democrat) convicted of felonies

Funny, that we do also remove the right to vote of criminals who based on racial statistics would have been more likely to vote Republican...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the entire Board of Enron?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only if their stocks aren't taxed....

Back to protesters for a moment, why are anti-war protesters so violent? Not all, of course, but enough that it make me wonder if those that are stand for anything at all.

Oh, and every dollar we poorish folk make is taxed twice, look at your telephone bill, check your receipts form the stores, see what kind of taxes the employer pays on that money in your pay check, between Social Security and Medicare it is 7.85% for tax matching, so I don't care if stocks are taxed 'twice'.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Back to protesters for a moment, why are anti-war protesters so violent? Not all, of course, but enough that it make me wonder if those that are stand for anything at all."

Just because someone is against this war, that doesn't mean they necessarily find any and every kind of violence automatically abhorrent. There are some who go beyond the "accepted" protest forms (sitting out of the way somewhere and chanting to themselves) because they're pretty sure everyone just ignores that.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we see how well these protests have worked too, oh, so well.

THen the ones that laid out across 5TH Ave in NYC. They were heard also, good news coverage, but they should have been heard screaming as the taxis ran them over.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't seem to uncover any law dealing with the "right to be heard."

You can speak. That doesn't mean you can compel other people to listen to you, or inconvenience or endanger them in order to be 'heard.'

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Police Battle Protesters at EU Summit in Athens

quote:

ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek police said they arrested 106 anti-Iraq war demonstrators after two hours of violence close to the scene of an EU summit in Athens on Wednesday.

Don't go to war, or we will protest violently and possibly kill people....

Okay....

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because, for sure, there certainly cannot be any local issues in the Mediterranean.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, you're against killing people? Well, we can't have that, so we're gonna punish you and make sure you can't speak out against us again...
See, it works both ways.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You can speak. That doesn't mean you can compel other people to listen to you, or inconvenience or endanger them in order to be 'heard.'"

I'm pretty sure there isn't a law against "inconvenience", either.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Most places do though, Creating a Public Nuisence, Disturbing the Peace, Inciting a Riot....

So the 5th ave blockers are guilty of a crime, which I would imagine NYC has.

I like the second one, getting busted for Disturbing the Peace while in an anti-war protest.....

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The irony is rather lessened by the fact that they're two different definitions of "peace".
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah. You lose all points for believing that there are no laws against being a nuisance. That's like, major doltage, on a Barcalow level.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps