Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » With Apologies to Our Canadian Friends... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: With Apologies to Our Canadian Friends...
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edited because bitterness is unbecoming, and it is unwise to say anything before flooding the system with caffeine anyway.

[ April 13, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What cracks me up is the way the hawks (NOT the hawks here - generally) always say "Do you know that in Iraq under Saddam, you wouldn't be able to protest in the way that the anti-war protesters do? We're invading to enable them to have that freedom of speech, so you should support us."

In other words, because we have that right, we shouldn't exercise it. Wonderful.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Just about EVERY SINGLE pro-war letter in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says "perhaps you should've gone to Iraq and lived under Saddam Hussein's rule, and see how you liked it." I recall last Sunday there were, maybe, 15 letters about the war in the editorial section, and maybe 7 sounded like that. Just about every pro-war person I've seen or heard has completely bashed anti-war protesters, calling them anti-American, anti-troop, pro-Saddam, etc. You know, that's exactly what happened under Hussein's regime--people who wanted peace were repressed.

--------------------
Meh

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the '04 election we are going to have a new ballot with the following question:

Should President G. W. Bush serve another term as President. ___ Yes!!! ____ no

Mind you, there will be an armed guard beside you if you either don't know the answer, or, would rather make a choice that is unacceptable.

Thank you for my time.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your point, aside from underscoring Vogon's? I wouldn't want to mistake you for an unpatriotic, anti-USA Saddam sympathizer.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have thought the ballot would say:

Should George W. Bush be declared dictator for life?
[ ] Yes
[ ] Hell yes!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN made a better ballot....

No, I was implying the opposite, just look, it's there....

You did forget to add anti-bush, which, I would have to reply, I voted the populist way, not the presidential way....

No, freedom of speech is a great thing, as long as it's not an in-your-face thing, where one can not get away form it, so bash away, have fun, and all that, but remember, regardless of anything else, what price would you put on that freedom?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not this eternal vigilance crap again.

Newsflash: Everyone is NOT out to get you.

Unless you give them reason.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but just breathing gives SOMEONE reason, especially when you're high-profile.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
In the '04 election we are going to have a new ballot with the following question:

Should President G. W. Bush serve another term as President. ___ Yes!!! ____ no

Mind you, there will be an armed guard beside you if you either don't know the answer, or, would rather make a choice that is unacceptable.

And maybe Dubya will win the 2004 election with a perfect 100% of the vote, too... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The final deciding Bushvote by a Mr. "Don Ameche" (Fl).

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And hundreds of dead people will vote Democratic again that year.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Just about EVERY SINGLE pro-war letter in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says "perhaps you should've gone to Iraq and lived under Saddam Hussein's rule, and see how you liked it." I recall last Sunday there were, maybe, 15 letters about the war in the editorial section, and maybe 7 sounded like that. Just about every pro-war person I've seen or heard has completely bashed anti-war protesters, calling them anti-American, anti-troop, pro-Saddam, etc. You know, that's exactly what happened under Hussein's regime--people who wanted peace were repressed.
You also have to realize something, it's their form of speech. Most protestors you see, are the anti-war type, you don't see people protesting the protestors. You read or wtahc them show their general detest for the anti-war protestors. That is what the freedom of speech is. You do not see them getting shot at or thrown in jail for stating what they want to say about the war. That is totally against what Saddam and other regimes do against anti-whatever against their regimes protests do.

Keep in mind though that generally you cannot fully support the troops and be fully against the war. Because remember that the troops are fighting for, and when they get captured. They can be shown pictures and videos of epople not supporting the war. Making remarks that they are anti-Americans where they themselves are American. Can a POW fully fight against them, if their home don't want to be American anymore? No. Because when captured, that's all they got left. Read about some of the former POWs of Vietnam, when they were shown photos of American soliders being beaten by the anti-war protestors, that no one cared about the soliders overseas, and that no one supported the troops. How would one feel, that for they fought for did not want that?

I am a Sailor, and if I ever became a POW, I would like to know that what I was fighting for, was supported by my nation.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what you say. However, I think that you can be for the troops enough that you don't want to see them go into action.
Are some causes worth fighting for? Yes. In some cases war is necessary and justified, such as World War II or Operation Enduring Freedom. And the liberation of Iraq is a noble cause. However, this administration had for months talked about the fact that Iraq had WMD...yet now that the war is almost over, we've had no evidence of that.

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps