Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » So, um, where ARE these WMDs? (Page 18)

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  35  36  37   
Author Topic: So, um, where ARE these WMDs?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier this week, this gave me a chuckle. The guy was harmless - well, as harmless as a biological warfare expert could be I guess. I suspect he either took his own life, or the stress got to him and his heart went. It's very sad really.

But, did the government do him in? I doubt it. They'd hardly bring him to such prominence in an attempt to make him the BBC's mole then get rid of him so publicly. The MoD inquiry will be a whitewash. It'll more than likely castigate the BBC for failing to admit Dr. Kelly was the mole, when it's probable he wasn't. I notice even the Opposition are blaming the BBC, but then they have always had it in for them.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess he was depressed then. Depression kills.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the tabloids - especially the Sun and the News of the World, both Murdock rags, and we all know how much of a rival Sky is to the Beeb - are gunning for the BBC right now over this.

--------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, quality Murdoch media.

Like the Herald Sun newspaper over here. You'd be lucky to find one decent bit of journalism per day. Between the ads, and sports reports. Oh and the stupid stories about how Barry made a huge turnaround in life after his cat got stuck up a tree.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those keeping score of the WMD finds, here is the batting average from the Powell speech to the UN.
Doesn't look like he has ever even played baseball.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
All the tabloids - especially the Sun and the News of the World, both Murdock rags, and we all know how much of a rival Sky is to the Beeb - are gunning for the BBC right now over this.

Not to mention the deal Murdoch and Blair didi about the new communications bill, which will allow Murdoch to take over Channel 5. In return for which his newspapers will support Blair.

Lord Hutton's Inquiry.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard not to see the truth in this statement.

quote:
America is nearly two years into invasions in which we have killed more civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan than the number who died in the United States on 9/11. Yet we have no Osama, no Saddam, no weapons of mass destruction, no nuclear weapons plants, no peace.

Derrick Z. Jackson, The Boston Globe

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does he have a source for our having killed 3,500 civiliains? I didn't see one, but I was in a hurry so I may have missed it. I would also point out that he may not take into account the number of civilians that would have died under the Taliban over the past eighteen months and Sadaam the last four. Yes, we've done damage, but we've prevented far more.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the AP, 3,240 civilians dies during the actual war.

quote:
Wednesday 11 June 2003

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP)--At least 3,240 civilians died across Iraq during a month of war, including 1,896 in Baghdad, according to a five-week Associated Press investigation.

Niko Price, The Associated Press

The rest of your post is from the twilight zone of pre-crime, and is only so much conjecture.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most people would consider it a pretty decent assumption that Hussein would have gone on killing a good many civilians, as per his usual M.O.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Most people also assume we're "bringing democracy to Iraq" as well rather than shooting up cars with families in them.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Lee
Member # 393

Absolutely.

--------------------

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is terrible.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell it to the families of all those whose bodies were found in mass graves.

I agree that it's being handled poorly and the whole situation's a cluster fuck but what would you reccomend? things would be far worse if we just cut bait and left (like we did in Afganastan).
Just to play Devil's Advocate, how is their treatment worse from our military than they had under their own?
Our trops bring back their kids eventually.

Sure, they'll hate us and YES, we should probably send hundreds of lawyers over there to represent all suspects while we occupy their country and try to set up something like a democracy, because, after all, they really want a democracy right?
right?

Anyone?

In the long run, I think Iraq will be a far better place to live in and it'll also be a breeding ground for terrorists that remember incidents like that kid being detained.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

So, basically you're asking 'what do we do' after we invade and get ourselves tangled in this huge mess.

I should have hoped that someone close to Mr. Bush would have aked that before. He was supposed to have surrounded himself with smart people afterall wasn't he?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  35  36  37   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps