Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » So, um, where ARE these WMDs? (Page 17)

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  35  36  37   
Author Topic: So, um, where ARE these WMDs?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brits believe the claim to be correct, I'll pose one question: What happened to the fact that the US and the UK are the most close-knit intelligence sharers in the world? [/QB]
Well, being so close has it's drawbacks too:
Bad intel is more likely to be accepted as gospel without verification of either side.

If the report was known to be B.S, they would'nt have been specific about it's scource.
They would have cited the old nuggett of "credible sources".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So whenever I read this thread's title, I think it's, like, asking Ultra Magnus where these weapons of mass destruction are? It makes me snigger a little.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grand mistake is the assumption that the forged documents constitute the whole of the Nigerian Uranium claim. They do not, but they are the only part of that particular tidbit of intelligence which the Brits shared with us, as they themselves have said.

quote:
"We believe in the intelligence which was behind the claims made in the September 24 dossier, yes," he said on the Today current affairs program when asked if the intelligence on Niger was still valid in British eyes.

He added, however, that Britain was not at liberty to tell the United States where it got the information, because it had come from "foreign intelligence sources".

"It just happens to be the rules of liaison with foreign intelligence sources that they own the intelligence. The second intelligence service does not and therefore is not able to pass it on to the third party."

The Italian government on Sunday denied reports that its intelligence services handed the United States and Britain documents indicating that Iraq was seeking uranium from Niger for a nuclear weapons programme.

The Financial Times reported Monday that Britain received information that Iraq was seeking to acquire uranium from Niger from two sources, thought to be France and Italy, which explained why it was included in the September dossier despite being told the US Central Intelligence Agency (news - web sites) (CIA (news - web sites)) had "reservations" about its inclusion.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really care about the opinion of First of Two. I do, however, care about the opinion of Scott Ritter, the American weapons inspector in the nineties who got flack for being too aggressive.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike Scott Ritter, I have not been charged with attempted solicitation of a minor, nor have I accepted $400,000 from Shakir al-Khafaji, an Iraqi-American real-estate developer from Michigan whom Mr. Ritter admits is "openly sympathetic" with Saddam's regime, to film a "documentary" in Iraq.

Ritter has slightly more credibility, at the moment, than my crazy aunt Ruthie. Slightly.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be so judgmental!
Who among us can really say that they have'nt taken a bribe from a openly hostile foreign power?
I mean, come on.
You're being far too critical.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Looks like Straw's pulling the old "I decline to answer on the grounds it might endanger our agents in the field" line.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nothing like blanket statments that can officially cover your ass and protect you from possible prosecution.
Another red flag is when tey say "We have it from reliable sources".
That one's really scary: they can now arrest you and accuse you of anything and throw away the key with no trial or public inditment just by uttering that phrase.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Hmm. Looks like Straw's pulling the old "I decline to answer on the grounds it might endanger our agents in the field" line.

"The Official Secrets Act is not there to protect secrets. It's there to protect officials."
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reasons / excuses / justifications just keep coming.

quote:
Defending the broader decision to go to war with Iraq, the president said the decision was made after he gave Saddam Hussein "a chance to allow the inspectors in, and he wouldn't let them in."

----

The president's assertion that the war began because Iraq did not admit inspectors appeared to contradict the events leading up to war this spring: Hussein had, in fact, admitted the inspectors and Bush had opposed extending their work because he did not believe them effective.

In the face of persistent questioning about the use of intelligence before the Iraq war, administration officials have responded with evolving and sometimes contradictory statements. The matter has become increasingly charged, as Democrats demand hearings about Bush's broader use of intelligence to justify the Iraq war.

Dana Priest and Dana Milbank, Washington Post

Emphasis added.

Apparently, Mr. Bush does not know what he is talking about. Clearly what Mr. Bush said isn't true, but it's not so much a lie as it's just stupidity.

UN inspectors begin Iraq mission

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel this rates a new thread, so I'll post it here.

quote:
The Buck Stops There
Bush shifts the blame for his Iraq whopper.

When George W. Bush ran for president, one of his big selling points was responsibility. Americans were tired of Bill Clinton's fudges and legalisms. They were tired of hearing that the latest falsehood was part of a larger truth, or that it was OK because the president had attributed it to somebody else, or that the country should "move on." Bush promised to end all that. He promised an "era of responsibility" in which leaders and citizens would no longer "blame somebody else."

This month, Bush was given a chance to make good on those promises. In his State of the Union address earlier this year, he told Americans, "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." But in March, the International Atomic Energy Agency debunked the only public documentation for that claim. And on July 6, a U.S. emissary who had been sent to Niger to check out the principal basis of the claim disclosed in the New York Times that he had found�and had told the U.S. government more than a year ago�that "it was highly doubtful that any such transaction had ever taken place."

What do Bush and his aides have to say about this?

1. It's the CIA's fault.

2. It's the speechwriters' fault.

3. It's true that Britain said it.

4. It's part of a larger truth.

5. It's time to move on.

William Saletan, Slate

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Its Jim McDougal's fault! [Razz]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ari Fleischer made the whole thing up in an attempt to foster worldwide anarchy.
This entire business in the middle east has been his doing all along!
Sainted President Bush has uncovered the shocking truth with help from his friends Rick and T.C. and confronted this diabolical fiend.
Mr. Fleischer was allowed to step down gracfully due to his long standing freindship with Mr. Bush.
He's just that kind of classy guy.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will we finally get to see Robin Masters?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calling all conspiracy theorists...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  35  36  37   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps