Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » So, um, where ARE these WMDs? (Page 24)

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  35  36  37   
Author Topic: So, um, where ARE these WMDs?
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope my use of the extra P isn't another racial slur. And yes this is a very weird thread. And no I've never believed that this is a very simple problem. From some of the answers here others seem to think that. If they have an answer lets hear it.
IP: Logged
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After breaking a previous post into paragraphs, I have questions.

quote:
Well now since the English have never had a problem with calling Americans Yanks, Which is actually a derogatory term meaning thief...
I've never head Yank being used to connote "thief," where does that come from?

quote:
Why make a big deal about the Abbreviation of Jappanese?
Why not? I, for one, have no intention of letting something like that go. Just as I would speak up were Sol to call a group of people "wetabacks" or some such.

I'm operating under the assumption that you know that "Jap" not just an abbreviation but is offensive slang, and is certainly much more like a certain word for blacks and slaves in the southern American states than "Yank" as used by Brits during and after World War II.

If you aren't aware of that, I suggest you read a bit about the history of the Japanese in California.

And finally,

quote:
And no I've never believed that this is a very simple problem.
Why did you say it then?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Yank comes from Yankee,an old English slang expression meaning Thief. Jap comes from Japanese,it is an Abreviation of the common and inaccurate term for the people that live on the island of Nippon. Never heard of any Japanese being upset by the term,only of politicaly correct journalist making a big deal over one of our presidents using the term. And I'm glad that we all see that there is no simple solution. So if this think tank plans to solve the problem they better get on it.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Entil-zha means The One, man. It doesn't matter who holds the office of head of the Rangers. What kind of a fan are you?
One who hasn't seen an ep for about a year, and is wondering whether one's skinflint little brother can be persuaded to buy me one of the DVD box sets for my birthday. I'm sure there was a term for a member of the Council. . . Is'il'zha? Z'ha'dum? Spoo? 8)

quote:
Different school system. That would be english I expect. Well now since the English have never had a problem with calling Americans Yanks, Which is actually a derogatory term meaning thief,or calling the Australians Aussies. Why make a big deal about the Abbreviation of Jappanese? That is a very, very weak argument. As far as how the Jappanese military behaved in WW2, really people what defense is there for that level criminal savagery. England is a great country, and showed great courage in facing the threat of being cut off and slowly but surely destroyed by a powerful enemy. But without allies they were sunk. Perhaps actually studying the War and the numbers would clue you in on that.BTW Errol Flynn was an Australian the movie that you mentioned would have been Objective Burma. Hard to see how that movie could be an insult to England. Still that does show a certain degree of petty behavior that I've come to expect. So carry on Enstein no answers here yet, the world is waiting.
OK, joke's over. Your above post contains so many inaccuracies, I can't believe anyone really is that ignorant or self-deluded about his intellectual adequacy (I hesitate to use the term 'intellectual superiority', don't want to inflate your ego too much). Then of course there's the 'assumption' that I'm English (I'm not, by the way, I'm British) just because I came from another school system. Nope, you're a ringer. So who are you then? The gone-but-not-missed Fo2? A re-emergent DT? You've been terribly amusing but any more would be to flog a dead horse (who is it posts that image all the time?).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Never heard of any Japanese being upset by the term...
What are you? Nuts?

Do you even know any Japanese Americans?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sure there was a term for a member of the Council. . . Is'il'zha? Z'ha'dum? Spoo? 8)"

Satai, I think.

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

So we have a British citizen who does not recognize the term Yank or have any idea of what it means. And doesn't know that Errol Fylnn was an Australian. And of course Britain needed no allies. Well there will be no answers to any questions from that corner. P.S. yes I have met a few Japanese Americans. None thought anything about the abreviation since they use it themselves.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
Satai, I think. Sounded Jappish. B)
Oi.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Whats with all this Paranoia? While my typing and spelling are still way off,and probably will be for some time to come, I believe that my message is clear enough.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Care to reiterate your clear message?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

If you haven't read the post,feel free to go back a few pages. And I just realized that I must not be the first to see that the emperor has no clothes.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
So we have a British citizen who does not recognize the term Yank or have any idea of what it means. And doesn't know that Errol Fylnn was an Australian. And of course Britain needed no allies. Well there will be no answers to any questions from that corner. P.S. yes I have met a few Japanese Americans. None thought anything about the abreviation since they use it themselves.

No offense to any of the other Americans on this board but I have to say this; you dumb yankee!!!

It was an American, not Lee, who asked about the origin of Yankee (your explaination is somewhat dubious BTW, I think you may have gotten mixed up with either tory or whig as one of those (can't remember which) means thief). Wasn't Errol Flynn playing an American in that film? And we can mention any number of other films that get rid of or denigrate British involvement in WWII (U-571 to give one particularly blatent example). And nowhere did he say we didn't need allies in WWII, although I will point out that the war began in 1939, the battle of Britain was in 1940, the USSR was invded in mid-41 (which was basically the beginning of the end for Adolf and co.) and you lot didn't get involved until the end of 1941. Now that doesn't mean that we didn't need allies. I doesn't mean that America's industrial capacity and manpower reserves weren't vital in defeating Hitler and ensuring a non-commie Europe.

And please, for the love of God, learn the difference between English and British. Quickly.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
None thought anything about the abreviation since they use it themselves.

So you'd feel okay calling a black man "nigger" because, after all, they "use it themselves"?
If you refered to my jewish cousin as "a Jew girl" she'd certainly kick your ass....

Man, good luck in life.
Try to find an all white community: for your own safety.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Rubber and Glue. The term Yankee means thief. look it up. And what does one of many small unit actions have to do with anything. Flynn played an American, so what. Americans flew with the RAF. Americans joined the Canadian army to fight the nazis before Hitler declared war on America. U-571 was a fictional movie. Big deal, sue Hollywood for historical inaccuracy.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yankee: Maybe.
quote:
The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning �little Jan� or �little John,� a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates, the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Englanders as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New England. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotion�except of course for baseball fans.
http://www.bartleby.com/61/60/Y0006000.html

Of course the whole issue is moot in this context. Whether the term is offensive or not, depends on the listener, not the etymology of a word.

This topic comprises 37 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  35  36  37   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps