Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Michael Moore: Like him or hate him (or as one person says, execute him for treason) (Page 10)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Michael Moore: Like him or hate him (or as one person says, execute him for treason)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was'nt by him personally.

Search for "Today show interview" -that's how I came across it.
I guess Moore could have websites full of fanatical devotees that just talk crap.
(shrug)

Anyway, I DID manage to see the interview this morning: it was really brief and they showed a clip from the movie when Moore wanted to talk more.
That sucked: I wanted to hear more from him.

The clip was of him rushing up to congressmmen and asking them to support an amendment making their kids the first into any war situation (that's where he clipped the congressman's reply about his two kids serving in Afghanistan).
Moore insists on is facts that "only one congressman has a kid servinng in Iraq but they'll send everyone else's" but just because they're not serving in Iraq now, does not mean they never served or are not serving in harm's way.
Nice little omission.

Moore says his next target for film is the "pharmicutical corperations and the insurance industry".

Getting opposing facts (or rebuking Moore) on that will be insanely unpopular.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Moore is, by far, my favorite American. Well, I like the Macho Man Randy Savage, too.

Fuck Ronald Reagan.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Klackrent Zlatan Magnus:

Fuck Ronald Reagan.

Now that he's dead or metaphorically?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go get you finger sucked, you lazy cod. You're just mad because Michael Moore loves America more than you do. Here's the link to the Matt Lauer interview. Take some time, read the whole thing. Also
quote:
...that's where he clipped the congressman's reply about his two kids serving in Afghanistan
This one?
quote:
Transcript of Interview with Rep. Mark Kennedy:

CONGRESSMAN KENNEDY How are you doing?

MM: I'm trying to get members of congress to get their kids to enlist in the army and go over to Iraq. Is there any way you could help me with that?

CONGRESSMAN KENNEDY: How would I help you?

MM: Pass it out to other members of congress.

CONGRESSMAN KENNEDY: I'd be happy to. Especially those who voted for the war.

CONGRESSMAN KENNEDY: I have a nephew on his way to Afghanistan.

MM: Because there is only one member who has a kid over there in Iraq. This is Corporal Henderson, he is helping me out here.

CONGRESSMAN KENNEDY: How are you, good to see you.

MM: There it is, it's just a basic recruitment thing. Encourage especially those who were in favor of the war to send their kids. I appreciate it.

CONGRESSMAN KENNEDY: Okay, bye.

Well one kid. A nephew. You know? Almost the same thing.

I saw the movie today with my folks. Monday matinee and the theater was packed. We had to sit int he front row. The line for the next showing ran out across the lobby. Oh, the film definitely had an opinion/agenda, but by and large, Moore let people hang themselves with their own words. There was definitely some manipulative editing going on, but then, that's not really an argument against a film whose intent is to influence is it?

Moore asks some very difficult questions about the motives and influences of those in power (the Bush-Saudi connection, Cheney-Halliburton, etc.) and then supports them with enough evidence to give me shivers. He shows some very terrifying stuff about the things our troops are doing and having to do. But I think the most moving part and one that would be difficult to argue against is the several minutes where he unflinchingly shows the human impact these high-level military decisions are having on the people over there (US and Iraqi) and their families. If nothing else this movie should make you think. And thinking is good.

Hope you score, dude.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw the movie today.

It suffers from it�s sledgehammer subtly. But it was a intentional polemic, so being subtle was not part of it�s mission.

Some of the cheap shots were funny and well deserved, some were not.

Still, in a time where political subtly is like whispering in a hurricane, Moore�s shout-at-the-top-of-his-lungs anti-Bush movie may be just what�s needed to jump-start conversations and mobilize voter turn out.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Moore: I watched The Big One off and on last night. I've always found Moore entertaining, and yet oddly off-putting. Like, there's a part where Phil Knight, CEO of Nike, invites Moore in for a chat, and the two of them make nice and such, but you get the sense that all of it, from both men, is totally disingenuious. I don't know, I guess I just like seeing people being polite and finding common ground.

(Though, OK, what is wrong with these CEOs? Moore suggests that Nike is complicit in various East Timor-related atrocities, and Knight just sort of makes vague nods towards free markets leading to free...well, people. But, come on, shouldn't someone so plugged in to the capitalist system be able to come up with a better off-the-cuff defense?)

(Also, I feel sorry for all those receptionists and security guards.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I still gotta see the movie: I saw Spider-Man 2 tonight nad left feeling great.

I think I'll feel pissed off and slightly ill after F911 (either from the points he makes or the way he makes them).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was upset when I left.

Not for the cheap shots, or the general tone of the movie. Being a avid blog reader, I'd heard about much, though not all, of what Mr. Moore flogs in the movie.

I was upset about:

1. A short piece of film

I'd seen it before, so I don't think I'm giving away anything. In it, Mr. Bush is talking to a group at some sort of white tie function and he calls them the haves and the have mores. He continues and says that some folks call them the elite, but he calls them his base.

It drove home the disparity of wealth in this country and how those running it do so more for the haves and the have mores than they do for the rest of us. Lest I rant too much, I'll just say that corporatism is something that we are going to have to deal with in the United States at some point.

2. Iraq

I don't really think I need to go any more into the lies and the callous way this administration took the United States into the conflict.

Still, I was reminded of those things, and it upset me all over again.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I would go and see it.

Jay, you said: "Still, in a time where political subtly is like whispering in a hurricane, Moore�s shout-at-the-top-of-his-lungs anti-Bush movie may be just what�s needed to jump-start conversations and mobilize voter turn out."

My country, and many other european countries, were at an alltime low as for "getting off ass and go voting" in the last EU-economy vote a month ago.
So I would welcome any Moore-counterpart whipping up motivation and initiative in Europe, sadly we don't have an isolated Bush-counterpart to work against, so not much struggle anywhere.
Everyone's doing the best they can, but it takes such time to establish a new official league of countries. Much paperwork...

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally I wasn't planning on seeing this movie, but after hearing more about it and reading Roger Ebert's review,
I think I'll go see it after all.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The review really highlights Moore's thinly-veiled attack on Bush and his administration.

I am going to see the film because it also shows alleged connections that the mainstream media has not, but if someone with as much savvy and zeal as Moore were to do such an expose' on Micheal Moore, I'd bet it would'nt look too good either.

Highlighting the gross and embarassing moments (like the spin-comb thing) undermines the film's message nad shows his own obvious bias.

Some "documentary".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, thinly-veiled?

"Hey, here is this movie that suggests that the President of United States has screwed everything up."

"This movie is nothing but constant suggestions that the President of the United States has screwed everything up! Some movie about how the President of the United States has screwed everything up this is."

I mean, truth in advertising.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This movie is less about Independence Day than it is about aliens blowing up America. WFT?!@"
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
...but if someone with as much savvy and zeal as Moore were to do such an expose' on Micheal Moore, I'd bet it would'nt look too good either.

Yeah, I guess maybe it's a good thing he's just a loud, over-weight, bearded guy from Michigan with a French film trophy and not, say, the President of the United States of America.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
...but if someone with as much savvy and zeal as Moore were to do such an expose' on Micheal Moore, I'd bet it would'nt look too good either.

Yeah, I guess maybe it's a good thing he's just a loud, over-weight, bearded guy from Michigan with a French film trophy and not, say, the President of the United States of America.
Too bad this loud, over-weight, bearded guy from Michigan with a French film trophy's opinion will doubtlessly sway many voters.

Too bad most viewers wont even try to research the validity of Moore's claims (be they true or not) nad will sheepishly accept whatever is presented as unbiased fact.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps