Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » My opinions, five years later (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: My opinions, five years later
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF? timelag posts?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra 2 Legit 2 Magnus:
Police officers are ridiculously overpaid, especially considering they are abusive, intolerant and corrupt, the whole lot of them, and if anyone argues with me, you're wrong and I hate you.

Note: I am serious, and I hate them.

But do you hate them as much as they hate the ungreatful public that consider them all to be overpaid, abusive, intolerant and corrupt? [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jewish law isn't applicable to Christians, that doesn't mean that it's valueless. Jewish law says to kill all the witches. The law not being applicable to Christians means we're not supposed to kill witches. But the fact that the law was there in the first place still tells us that God isn't a fan of sourcery and such. Without the law, Christ is meaningless."

So, Yahweh doesn't like witches. Does that mean we should disallow Wiccans from marrying? After all, if we can't stone them, we should at least stop them from making corruptable babies, right?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Aside from that red-haired girl on Buffy, is there any Wiccian worth reproducing with?

None I've ever seen.

Not that they should'nt have the right, of course.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jewish law says to kill all the witches."

Nim's law says kill all hippies.

Tora Ziyal: "I really, really can't stand our current policy on drugs, especially when marijuana is not much more damaging than tobacco."

You're abso right! We should ban both.  -

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's like, whenever I have to think of issues, I try to imagine WHAT WOULD MARK MESSIER DO WHEN HE HAD GARY COLEMAN IN THE LOCKER ROOM WITH HIM AT THE SAME TIME?!

-

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND IS HE TOUCHING HIS BUM?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you pick and choose what Old testament laws are still applicable and what is outdated.
Is there some scripture that describes how this is accomplished?
On what criteria is some part of what was considered God's Law now outdated?

None of the law is outdated. All of it's good for learning about God's intentions for human life, even if the specific commands are no longer binding.

So, Yahweh doesn't like witches. Does that mean we should disallow Wiccans from marrying?

You all seem to be operating on the opinion that I said the government shouldn't let gays get married. Did I say that I thought that, somewhere in this thread that I missed?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
tol�er�ance ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tlr-ns)
n.

1. The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.
Source: The American Heritage� Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

?
Misdefinition? Its the very first definition in the dictionary. Note the "respecting" part.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you'll check the definition of respect, you'll see the second definition is "To avoid violation of or interference with". People can believe what they want, I have no particular desire to force them to stop. Thus, tolerance. That doesn't mean I have to say that all beliefs are CORRECT.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...WHAT WOULD MARK MESSIER DO WHEN HE HAD GARY COLEMAN IN THE LOCKER ROOM WITH HIM AT THE SAME TIME?!"

Get a bigger towel, would be my suggestion.

"I really, really can't stand our current policy on drugs, especially when marijuana is not much more damaging than tobacco."

"Not much more"? Since when is it any more damaging than tobacco? For that matter, since when isn't tobacco more damaging than marijuana?

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
And if you'll check the definition of respect, you'll see the second definition is "To avoid violation of or interference with". People can believe what they want, I have no particular desire to force them to stop. Thus, tolerance. That doesn't mean I have to say that all beliefs are CORRECT.

You've already said that being gay and being Christian are "two contradictory lifestyles." Since people can't change being gay, any more than they can change having sickle cell anemia or having brown hair then obviously you're implying that they should drop Christianity. That sounds like interference to me.

Secondly, I believe that the definition of tolerance refers to the *first* definition of respect, not the second. i.e. "To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem." which is even more clearly not being met.

Your second definition is suffixed with a clearly irrelevant example.
quote:
re�spect ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-spkt)
tr.v. re�spect�ed, re�spect�ing, re�spects
1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
2. To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
3. To relate or refer to; concern.

I don't think that the definition of tolerance implied that you should respect same-sex beliefs and practices in the same sense that you would respect the speed limit.

But as I said, luckily your beliefs do not seem to correspond with all Christians. At least not the majority of Anglicans.

Omega
Member # 91

Since people can't change being gay, any more than they can change having sickle cell anemia or having brown hair then obviously you're implying that they should drop Christianity.

Based on your assumptions, you'd be correct. But since your assumptions are utterly unfounded, I deny implying any such thing.

I believe that the definition of tolerance refers to the *first* definition of respect, not the second. i.e. "To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem." which is even more clearly not being met.

Your opinion is duely noted. I choose to hold another which makes more sense.

--------------------

Member # 239

DULY
Omega
Member # 91

Duly noted. [Big Grin]

*desperately needs sleep*

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps