Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » No wonder why I'm now an agnostic (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: No wonder why I'm now an agnostic
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040801/ap_on_re_eu/vatican_women_7

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a political entity based on a work of fiction, does anyone really think what they say should make sense.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all know a womans place is in the kitchen or the bedroom.

GO POPE!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...does anyone really think what they say should make sense."

About a billion people, unfortunately.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not believe that all Catholics believe things like this just because their conservative leaders preach this stuff (do we believe all Muslims are terrorists?). Unfortunately, there is a staunch conservative Pope in the Vatican, and nothing the Chruch preaches will change unless we get a NEW Pope. Though that might not change anything, either.

It's time for change, but unfortunately it will not be coming for a long time.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the family, in its natural two-parent structure of mother and father..."

Um... Have these people ever actually looked at nature?

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you guys even read the entire article?

The first two paragraphs seems to damn the entire thing, but if you read on, it says the document contains feminist statements.

quote:
It said women should not be stigmatized or penalized financially for wanting to be homemakers. It also said women "should be present in the world of work and ... have access to positions of responsibility which allow them to inspire the politics of nations and to promote innovative solutions to economic and social problems."

Those who choose to work should be granted an appropriate work schedule and "not have to choose between relinquishing their family life or enduring continual stress," the message to bishops said.

That's not something I'd argue with. However, maintaining the ban on women priests severely undercuts this position.

quote:
new recent approaches to women's issues were marked by a tendency "to emphasize strongly conditions of subordination in order to give rise to antagonism: women, in order to be themselves, must make themselves the adversaries of men."

Such an attitude, the document said, "has its most immediate and lethal effects in the structure of the family."

I have to say I agree with this because of the relationship seminar I've been to. I disagree with labeling women as victims or seeing men as adversaries, which feminists sometimes do. That does not work women want are freedom as well as well as happiness in relationships. However, these statements are presented in an adversarial way themselves, which undercuts what it is actually saying and will invite resistance.

A lot of times feminists also attempt to disregard differences between men and women, whereas I believe in equality but not sameness (which is, you know, totally boring). The document condemns making men and women appear the same, but it does not make the distinction between equality and sameness (at least not in the article), which is not a smart move on their part.

To me, the document seems to be guilty of (aside from having good intentions but shooting themselves in the foot) narrowing the definition of feminism, narrowing the definition of family, and denouncing homosexuality, none of which are new or surprising. God save us from pointless reiterations on the same themes.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tora Ziyal:
[QUOTE] It also said women "should be present in the world of work and ... have access to positions of responsibility which allow them to inspire the politics of nations and to promote innovative solutions to economic and social problems."

Ummm....is'nt that kinda against Old Testament?

I personally think Paul's gone waaaaaaaaaaay senile.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You and half the Western world.

FOR GREAT ORIGINALITY.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, a young charismatic pope who would talk coherently and become *popular* would totally freak me out. For as long as I remember, the pope has always been a sad old man you can poke fun at.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Popes have always been old. That way, if they turn out to be intelligent, charismatic or in any other way threaten the structure of the Catholic church (ie. the one in which the cardinals have immense power) they won't be around long or can be killed off without everyone screaming murder. Of course, it doesn't always work...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought you had to be old and senile to ever want that job: too much security, scrutint nad you cant even keep your own name (for history's sake).

I guess you get to meet world leaders and denounce common sense though, so that's something.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention the groupies.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That's what the security glass on the Popemobile is really for: to keep all those randy Catholic women from tempting him with their lingere and rosary beads.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Pope John Paul II was actually quite the spry, active fellow when he first took the position. Kinda looked like Patrick Stewart in a pope's costume.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps