Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » No wonder why I'm now an agnostic (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: No wonder why I'm now an agnostic
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(insert Borg/Church comparison joke here)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He beat back the reds, even.

(It occurs to me that being agnostic on the existence of a god has almost nothing to do with this particular Vatican position, since the majority of people who believe in a god or gods are not Catholic, and even being Catholic is no guarantee that someone agrees with a particular Pope or papal decree. So, anyway, the one thing has nothing to do with the other.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the pope is always old, because popes are elected from the cardinals. And the cardinals are bishops that have been promoted. And the bishops are priests who have been promoted. It's the same reason you don't see any twenty-something military generals.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a quota of child-molestation cover-ups to become Pope?

Mabye just condemning practical birth control, scientific theory, the fossil record and denying any church wrong-doing in the past thousand years is enough to be considered.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's the same reason you don't see any twenty-something military generals.
Shinzon. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Alexander The Great.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considered him, but there's the whole dynastic succession thing. Might even find younger royalty commanding armies throughout the ages, but that's not to say they were necessarily any good! But one Great War general was 25 at the time of his promotion. . .

http://www.geocities.com/bradcrem/bradford_rbb_biog.html

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Or Civil War general Galusha Pennypacker. With a name like that'd you'd better be good at fighting. . .

http://www.library.upenn.edu/collections/rbm/keffer/scenes-pennypacker.html

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well... shut up.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW DOES IT FEEL YOU FACT FUCKING BASTARD

[ August 03, 2004, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're stupid, Tim.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're gonna be stupid and dead!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Is there a quota of child-molestation cover-ups to become Pope?

Mabye just condemning practical birth control, scientific theory, the fossil record and denying any church wrong-doing in the past thousand years is enough to be considered.

Not that I want to stop you in the middle of your carefully considered "OMG PRIESTS FUCK SMALL CHILDREN", but the Catholic Church does actually agree with evolution. In fact, I don't think they argue against "science" on anything, outside of specific "acts of God" (eg, the flood, virgins getting pregnent, and so on).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
...but the Catholic Church does actually agree with evolution. In fact, I don't think they argue against "science" on anything, outside of specific "acts of God" (eg, the flood, virgins getting pregnent, and so on). [/QB]

In his book "A Brief History of Time", Hawking said that he had an audience with the Pope, and the Pope applauded his work, but stipulated that Hawking should not investiage the Big Bang itself, since that was a divine moment. Of course, Hawking said in his book that that was exactly what he was doing at the time. [Big Grin]

Personally, I'm Catholic and I'm glad that the Church doesn't go for strict Creationism or Darwinism, but instead for a healthy middle ground, blending the two extremes. It's what I believed even before I was aware of the Church's position.

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"...Hawking...had an audience with the Pope..."

Wouldn't that take, like, a half-hour just to exchange two sentences?

[ August 03, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps