Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » No wonder why I'm now an agnostic (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: No wonder why I'm now an agnostic
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought ALL the bible stories were symbolic: not that it would detract from any moral implied.

I'm a big Aesop fan myself.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a few U.S. states, hasn't creationism been added to the schoold curriculum while in others evolution has been removed? It seems as though it would take more then a small minority to conduct these incredibly stupid acts.

Perhaps the catholic church accepts evolution while many groups of protestants still cling to creationism? As a side note, it is very funny to read some of the 'scientific' arguements of creationists [Big Grin] . Unfortunatly, I can see how someone with very little knowledge of science (like most Americans, for example, about half believe that the earliest humans existed simultaneously with dinosaurs [Roll Eyes] ) might actually believe them.

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino 123:
As a side note, it is very funny to read some of the 'scientific' arguements of creationists [Big Grin] . Unfortunatly, I can see how someone with very little knowledge of science (like most Americans, for example, about half believe that the earliest humans existed simultaneously with dinosaurs [Roll Eyes] ) might actually believe them.

I take it that you're a FStDT reader.

And if you aren't, click that link, as it will provide hours of agony.

The knowledge that these sort of people exist is a burden on my soul. We seriously need to start a fundie reeducation service...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had many infuriating conversations with a creationist that's convinced that radial carbon dating is inaccurate and that dinosauors existed at the same time as early man.

Un
fucking
believable.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, so have we. Read some flameboard threads of yore and you shall know of whom I speak. B)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh we all know that the Earth was created on the evening before Sunday October 23rd 4004 BC. Naturally.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just the facts, maam.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
I take it that you're a FStDT reader.

And if you aren't, click that link, as it will provide hours of agony.

Lol. [Smile] Until now I've only browsed through a few christian textbook catalogs (they've even got math ones!) when I was a homeschooler.

On carbon dating, it is certainly good for geologically recent dating (it can date things well older then early civilization), but it does actually become inaccurate on *very* old things (many millions or billions of years) due to its relativly short half-life. Plenty of other radioactive elements exist that do the job perfectly well, though.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Potassium-Argon dating, for one.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Potassium-Argon dating
Mixed relationships never work.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino 123:
In a few U.S. states, hasn't creationism been added to the schoold curriculum while in others evolution has been removed? It seems as though it would take more then a small minority to conduct these incredibly stupid acts.

Never underestimate the power of the vocal minority, nore their influence over people who just don't think it's worth arguing with them.

quote:
Perhaps the catholic church accepts evolution while many groups of protestants still cling to creationism?
Considering that every Catholic person here seems to have been taught that the story of creation was symbolic and metaphorical, I think we can assume that the Catholic Church's official position is that "lots of the bible isn't literal". I know that will make it harder for Jason to make his "ALL CHRISTIANS ARE SHIT AND EVIL!" arguments, but what can we do?

What actual subset of Christianity is it that the American "religious right" belong to? I am guessing that most are God's Own Party members (which I think is what GOP stands for), but that's a political party, not a religious denomination. Are they protestants, or something else?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush is Methodist. Pat Robertson, Jerry Fallwell...most of the conservatives are Protestants. Yes, we have Catholics who are calling for things like all people who are pro-choice to be denied Communion, but they are not as vocal as the Protestant right. We have Catholic politicians that are Democrats, though--John Kerry and the governor of my state (Wisconsin) for one.

Remember...the Puritans founded our country. The Catholics (many of them Irish) were considered in the same league as Jews and blacks...hence the fact that the KKK hates Catholics as much those two groups. So the majority of the people you might call evangelists preaching on TV as well as supporting President Bush are Protestant.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...hmm.

(GOP = Grand Old Party.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Remember...the Puritans founded our country."

Well, no. The Puritans you're talking about settled Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay, but that's about it. There were all sorts of denominations all up and down the colonies. But, yes, they were mainly Protestants.

By the way, Falwell and Robertson are both Southern Baptists.

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Potassium-Argon dating, for one.

That's one of the big ones. Also very important is Rubidium-Strontium. Uranium/Thorium to lead is used quite a bit to date ancient coral reefs too.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps