Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » No wonder why I'm now an agnostic (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: No wonder why I'm now an agnostic
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could have a race, the wheelchair versus the Popemobile.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably, this was in the '80's...the Pope wasn't as hunched-over and all that as he is today.

--------------------
Meh

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would assume that Hawking's computer could very easily translate to Polish. Also, I don't think that the pope has to be elected from the cardinals. In the Second Conclave of 1978, Cardinal Karol Wojtlya (John Paul II) was the compromise vote between two archbishops.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure John Paul II speaks more languages than Polish. (Latin, for one.)

Technically, any male member of the Church can be elected pope. Political realities dictate that cardinals are almost always chosen today. Wikipedia says that the last time a non-cardinal was chosen was 1378.

Also it occurs to me that machine translation != easy.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True. You don't think Stevie runs his speech program through Babelfish, do you?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
I would assume that Hawking's computer could very easily translate to Polish.

I'm thinking there were two HUMAN translators there with them. I've seen a video of Hawking lecturing or leading a discussion in real time, and he didn't have his computer, he had a person there translating his gutteral noises. With the Pope, I would assume another translator would be there to translate between Polish and English.

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've seen a video of Hawking lecturing or leading a discussion in real time, and he didn't have his computer, he had a person there translating his gutteral noises."

I've seen perhaps the same video, but I think it was fairly old. It may have been before he had the computer, and when he was still in better condition.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
[QBthe Catholic Church does actually agree with evolution. In fact, I don't think they argue against "science" on anything, outside of specific "acts of God" (eg, the flood, virgins getting pregnent, and so on). [/QB]

Really? I've never heard of the church ever stating evolution was a fact much less that they agree with it's ideas: it tends to go against the literal interperation of Genesis.

Got a link on their POV on this?
I'd love to show it to some hard-headed creationists I know.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Really? I've never heard of the church ever stating evolution was a fact much less that they agree with it's ideas: it tends to go against the literal interperation of Genesis.

Well, the Catholic Church doesn't teach that Genesis should be interpreted literally. So...no problem.

I haven't got a link though. I'm merely going by what I was taught at a Catholic school, and what I've heard from the local priest, and other people who went to Catholic schools. And that poll they did in the Guardian a couple of years ago where they found out that about 95% of mainsteam Catholic and Protestant priests in this country believed in evolution, 4% were unsure, and only 1% thought that it was a great big lie.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmm....christians over here tend to villify Darwin as some kind of Satanist (in truth he was an extremely moral and religous man) and they see all theories of evolution as somehow anti-church.

Being the wiseass I am, I have a "darwin-fish" on my car and several times I've returned to my parked car, to find some creationism tract phamphlet stuck under my windshield wiper (as though believing in evolution consigns my soul to hell somehow).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the link about Catholics accepting evolution as long as God had something to do with the soul. http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/articles/8712_message_from_the_pope_1996_1_3_2001.asp
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Wiggy.
I meant something official from the Vatican, actually.

Near my house is a large (ish) "Christian Science" building and I always smile as pass by, thinking that inside mabye Jesus is fiddling with beakers of foaming chemicals while wearing a lab coat.....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mmmmmm....christians over here tend to villify Darwin as some kind of Satanist (in truth he was an extremely moral and religous man) and they see all theories of evolution as somehow anti-church."

Well, no. Christians don't tend to do that at all. A small, loud subset of Christians do that.

That's like saying Muslims tend to blow buildings up.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I hear more Muslims calling for peace than Christians calling for scientific open-mindedness.

The vocal minority always spoils everything: they should be wiped from the face of the earth!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taught in Catholic school that the creation story was symbolic.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps