Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 2004 Election Voting Machine (Page 2)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: 2004 Election Voting Machine
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I'm talking about the here and now. I never mentioned the past, in which I'm sure there are quite a few instances of Democrats thinking that certain people shouldn't be allowed to vote. If I'd said "you never ever heard" instead of "you never hear," or "people had the right" instead of "people have the right," then you might have a case.

As it is, on the one hand you're criticising people for putting this election in the context of the last one, while simultaneously criticising the way I discuss this election by referencing the last election yourself.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:

Well, actually, another point would be that an election is hardly comparable to 3,500 civilian deaths in a single attack.

Right, more people outside the US actually care about the election. [Big Grin]

Sorry.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not criticizing people for putting this election in the context of the previous one. I'm criticizing their interpretation of that context.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Would you care to give us a figure?"

Who, me?

Here's the dirt on Gallup.

One of the other ones (SurveyUSA, I believe) doesn't weight their polls at all. Which also gives an advantage (albeit less of one) to the Republicans.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I hear that around 60000 voting bills which should've been administered to voters in Florida has vanished. Funny enough, the bills were for districts where the democrats had won last time.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm skeptical, personally. There are always a million and one scare stories that go around at times like this, very few of which are true.

(which, incidently, makes the ones that are true more likely not to be noticed. Crazy mad boo.)

As for more people caring about the election than the 3,500 deaths, one of the reasons is because of how the previously elected government reacted to those 3,500 deaths. So it's all, y'know, related.

And I don't think Lee was saying that people should forget about 9/11. Rather, it should be (respectively) "toned down", such as it were. Remember the dead, but not use it as a continual call to arms/excuse for everything ever.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I understand the results of the post 2000 Florida Fiasco was that an survey done by independent newspapers found that had Gore been able to proceed with the plan he put forward to only count certain counties, he would have lost.

Whereas Mr. Bush would have lost an entire state recount.

And as to the rest, a new baby and being forced to use dial-up will make you be brief too.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was my understanding too, Jay.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted: Kerry is sure to win now!

Really.....even with the dozens of bozos standing outside holding "Bish/Cheney" posters outside in front of traffic.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...we've heard of the "Nader Factor"...now we have the Bin Laden Factor...

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to hear more about this George Bish.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's a fish-man alternate reality version of Bush:
he's very diffrent: he's honest and really smart...

Gotta love Bin Laden's timing: Bush can spin this to his "fear factor" campaign but Kerry can (should) point out that Bin Laden was always the real threat nad he could vow to eliminate him...
Something Bush could'nt pull off.

Bin Laden's looking pretty frisky there: definitely not the "hunted man" he's been portrayed as in the recent media.
I wonder which Saudi prince's palace he's chillin' at this week?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw something very interesting in the news earlier. They showed a real possibility where the electoral votes result in a tie between Bush and Kerry. In which case, the House decides who is President, and the Senate decides who is Vice-President. Bush/Edwards, anyone? [Big Grin]

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I saw that on CNN as well: if that happened, the VP job would become a "stuffed shirt" position like it was back in the 1930's.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: Meh.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps