Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 2004 Election Voting Machine (Page 8)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: 2004 Election Voting Machine
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I'm not wild about Kerry by a long shot, but I'd have voted for his wife if she were running.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm sure that American's take notes from provincial politics.

Dalton McGuinty is great anyways, he's saving me about $990 this year, $1140 the next, etc.

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora: I've been hearing the same thing too. Basically, completely rework the tax system on a scale like the Tax Reform Act of 1986 and go with private investment accounts and you might accelerate growth past the growing deficit. Combined with tort reform and taking some heat off Medicare, and he could make some breathing room by the time he leaves. Let's hope we get lucky with a result like the 1965 tax cut.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Yes, I'm sure that American's take notes from provincial politics.

Dalton McGuinty is great anyways, he's saving me about $990 this year, $1140 the next, etc.

Huh? I have to cough up at least $450 more in *coughcough* Premiums *coughTAXEScough* this year. And I was making $26000 a year. How can this be?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuition freeze baby.

Old scenario: $3795 tuition per four months, 15% increases per year.

New scenario: $3300 tuition per four months.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It seems that many Americans were smart enough to pay attention to Ontario's Election when it really counted."

"Many Americans" aren't informed enough to find Canada on a map. Of Canada.

It's times like this that I wish the US were not powerful and not prosperous. At least then, with a less complacent population, it would be possible to have a revolution.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then there's BC
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tora Ziyal:
Well, I just read some article saying Bush wants to focus on cutting down the deficit by half AND reform social security, but he also admits it's difficult to do both at once. We'll see, I guess.

I want to go to both the Moon and Mars but since I dont know shit about either, I'm in the the same position Bush is. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Sands:
Tora: I've been hearing the same thing too. Basically, completely rework the tax system on a scale like the Tax Reform Act of 1986 and go with private investment accounts and you might accelerate growth past the growing deficit. Combined with tort reform and taking some heat off Medicare, and he could make some breathing room by the time he leaves. Let's hope we get lucky with a result like the 1965 tax cut.

And maybe if he just clicks his heels together three times and heads off to see the wizard, then we'll get some real action.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry:
quote:
In my own country, a film director can't make a controversial movie anymore, for fear of being brutally murdered. A politician can't publicly oppose the Islam without needing body guards and hiding his family. What the hell happened to that 'Dutch tolerance'?
I read about Van Gogh in Sweden's Metro-paper, I understand he was a columnist for your edition of Metro. I was really saddened by the news.
At least he forced them to come out of the woodwork, effectively making him a martyr. I hope something good comes out of that.

Jay:
quote:
Although that could change when the Republicans amend the Constitution to allow for another term in office for Mr. Bush because we in the middle of a war and all.
Belarus comes to mind. Man I'm tired of that Lukasjenko.

I'm tired of Bush too. I hear that moral values were one of the most important hinges in the election. That's such a sham, like the collective moral energy will rise with Bush but fall with Kerry (that's what Bush seems to imply) and that that will make any difference ten years down the road.
It's the ultimate political trick; "I stand for good values! Family values! Your values!"
Doesn't matter that no one can define family values as something specific, but it still gets old mums and dads wet with excitement.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, regardless of one's position on them, the sorts of values being promoted have been specified: no homosexual marriage, for instance. The Republican platform, whatever else you want to say about it, makes no attempt to hide that, and other things.

http://www.gop.com/media/2004platform.pdf

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Because every righteous American knows that The Gay is a sinful disease that should be stopped at all costs. Hooray for religion!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The impression I get is that the anti-gay marriage thing is largely driven by a religious belief. Whereas over here, it seems to be more a case of "urgh, I don't want some man bumming me while I queue for a McDonalds".

Was any attempt at all made by the Republican party to disuade the "God says you must vote for us" attitude I've read about in some places somewhere?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe problem with the marriage thing being a religous offshoot is that the right-wing CHristians will now wield unprecedented political power: Kerry was careful not to take a stand against them because the huge number of voters they claim to have (and indeed there are many reports of churches openly endorsing Bush to their congregations) so whoever runs for the Democrats next time will take even less of a stand in favor of church/state seperation (or gay rights for that matter).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Bush can click his heels to lower taxes enough, people might start working even harder, leading to more wealth-producing activities, hopefully avoiding the sloth that is eating away European economic growth.

As for unprecedented Christian power, there are still obstacles to the degree of control the Christian right is accused of having.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps