Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 2004 Election Voting Machine (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: 2004 Election Voting Machine
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greece and Russia has orthodox christianity.

Methodists, baptists and other free-church offshoots are not orthodox by any stretch.
In fact, adult baptism, healing and speaking in tongues takes them as far away from mainstream christianity as possible, next would be proclaiming holy war and establishing a moral-police corps.

I hope Bush doesn't do that.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Russia and Greece have Orthodox Christianity. I specifically made it a little "o." I would include Roman Catholics in "orthodox Christanity," as well as the Armenian, Melkite, Italo-Greek, Syriac, Chaldean, Coptic, and Maronite churches (and some others that I'm not writing down right now).

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should not have be a close race
quote:
P.S. - I also have friends and relatives in the military, and they all voted for Bush.
Lucky for them they, like you, will get to keep their jobs too. Regardless of whether they want to or not. Until they get kidnapped/decapitated/killed/wounded. But then you, like the present Commander in Chief, don't need to worry too much about that. So you won't.

Q: How many xeno-phobic short-sighted moronic assholes do we have in this country anyway? (A: >=58,486,488)

The United States will never recover from a second term of George W. Bush. I'm presently postponing my depression until after we sort out which Republican legal homonculous has distorted or hopelessly perverted the democratic process this time around...

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AP is just now reporting Kerry has called Bush to concede. Might be over in hours now, not days.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a good number of Roman Catholics who would protest about being put in the same religious group as Bush and co.

And I'm confused about your comment anyway, David. What did orthodox Christianity have to do with who you voted for?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Catholic and I object to being put in the same religious group as Bush. I personally know no Catholics who are for Bush. I mean, even the Pope called the Iraq War a disaster for humanity.

--------------------
Meh

David Sands
Member # 132

Harry mentioned that orthodox Christians were voting Bush, and I thought I would speak as a member of a group that is probably in the minority on the board. Nothing snarky meant by it. Sorry if I offended any.

On Roman Catholics, you're right about many not considering themselves politically conservative. There is a move in the church towards orthodoxy among younger members and among the Bishops elevated since JP2 came on, but it's not all the way to the right yet. I read a fantastic and very comprehensive study on it, but I can't find it right now. Check back later and I'll update with it if anyone is interested.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
I am Catholic and I object to being put in the same religious group as Bush. I personally know no Catholics who are for Bush. I mean, even the Pope called the Iraq War a disaster for humanity.

I'm Catholic and I don't know any who *didn't* vote for Bush. The church (around here, at least) was pushing pro-life doctrine pretty heavily, and did everything short of backing Bush publicly.

Personally, I am mostly pro-life (especially now that I have two kids of my own - having kids changes you more than you know), but it's not one of the major voting issues for me.

B.J.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Karl Rove's plan for calling up the 'evangelist troops' has worked well.

So.. what actually happens to Kerry now? Is he still a Senator?

I'm also wondering. What does this mean for the Democrats? Will they ever be able to win again? I mean, if they can't even convince the people that Bush was bad, how are they ever going win from a 'decent' Republican?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

David Sands
Member # 132

He still has four years in the Senate if I remember correctly. Whether he will stay on is a question I don't think he'll make for a few days. Most candidates recede from the public consciousness, but most of them don't have an office to come back to, either. We'll have to wait and see.

As for winning again, of course they'll win again eventually, but they might be spending some time in the wilderness akin to the Cold War period: mostly R, punctuated by a few attractice Ds able to grab votes from the other side. Of course, this is off the cuff, but even with this worst case scenario, the Democrats are not permanently banished from American political life.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, as a Republican, any number of Democrats could have easily beaten Bush, just not Kerry. General Clark could have pulled a lot of people over, and maybe Dean if he hadn't shot his political career in the foot. If McCain (a Republican) had agreed to be Kerry's running mate, that would have been a huge danger to Bush. Fortunately for Bush, McCain and Kerry differ too much on a lot of issues.

B.J.

David Sands
Member # 132

I'm inclined to agree with you, BJ. A General Clark running on a more articulated strategy (than Kerry's) for the War on Islamofascism might have beat Bush. He just wasn't a smart campaigner. Lieberman could have done it too on foreign policy, but his social stands were just too much for the activists.

I just realized, BJ, you're in St. Louis. Yeah, I bet Bishop Chaput really was turning out the R vote!

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. I'm frustrated and confused. These last two days have been very strange. First, the second political murder in my country in two years, and now the clear victory of Bush. I need an incoherent rant, so feel free to skip this post.

What the hell happened? Did I miss the memo where we were told to fuck up the world? Or has anyone suddenly moved on from the ideals like equal rights, peace and freedom of speech?

In my own country, a film director can't make a controversial movie anymore, for fear of being brutally murdered. A politician can't publicly oppose the Islam without needing body guards and hiding his family. What the hell happened to that 'Dutch tolerance'?

And Bush' re-election is confusing me.. on the one hand, I can't contemplate why you would even vote for someone like Bush. OTOH, this is the democratic process. This is the choice of the American people.

Two major tests of democracy and ideals in two days. It's a bit too much for me. I want to sleep now.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't a fucking mandate.

ps-We're doomed.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only consolation is that Florida was not the deciding factor this time.

Soooon the "Ohio D'Oh!" jokes will replace the "Flori-Duh" jokes and we can be safely ridiculed for only local corruption, racial insensitivirt and harboring the occasional terrorist.
Oh, and the dirtiest political campaigns anywhere.
Cant forget that.

Florida fell to the Repuiblicans because Bush's stand against Castro: nothing's so persuasive as millions of Cubans rallying behind a 20 year-old anti-communist policy towards one flyspeck island nation that cant feed itself.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps