Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » United States of Godland? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: United States of Godland?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You say that as if religion is the cause of most bad things in the world."

You say that as if religion isn't itself a member of that set.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why should it be?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Architect, a Structural Engineer, and a Civil Engineer were debating about the nature of God. The Architect says "See how God created the human body with symmetry and gracefulness and functionality? God MUST be an Architect". The Structural Engineer says "See how the bones of the human body provide it with strength and yet flexibility of motion. God MUST be a Structural Engineer". There is a pause, then the Civil Engineer says" God is DEFINITELY a Civil Engineer......who else would run a waste disposal line through a perfectly good recreation area?"

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is heavier than a fat bitch's period. I'm out...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee's mention of that TV commercial reminded me of this art installation. (The first one, anyway. Following the link to it directly crashed Firefox.)
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Link worked in mozilla (-firefox).

I need to explain that people are guided by their (religious) beliefs? Everyone is, (yes, I put religious in parenthese(sp?) this time) they form part of your character/personality.

How different would Omega be without his solid foundation in his religion? Having a foundation that is shakier could make him more witty or an addict or both. A person elected to a governing position will be guided by their beliefs, which I grant are ever changing, except for maybe the core values.

I guess in the way I am using 'religious values' you could put 'moral values'. While a believer and non believer may find murder wrong it comes from different value systems, as does the differing versions of what is acceptable and what is not between all groups/people.

Now we could go off on the tangent of the theories of personality and the dozen plus ways to measure and anylize it, but that would really be goofed up talking over all of that, since not even a decent number of the researches can choose one that works for everyone/all cases. So my answer has to be vague, as I can not hope to pick a theory when they can not either.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I guess in the way I am using 'religious values' you could put 'moral values'."

And the way you use "blue", one could say "green"? That was the whole point, wasn't it? You were claiming that everyone is guided by religious beliefs, but some people don't have them. If you change "religious beliefs" to something else, it changes your assertion completely.

[ August 30, 2006, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone is guided by axiomatic beliefs, which are by definition inarguable. Your axiomatic belief that God doesn't exist is no better or worse, from a logical standpoint, than mine that He does, because logic can't be used against axioms in a vacuum. If you take all a person's axioms at once you might could show that the axioms themselves are contradictory. (And that's only if one of the axioms is non-contradiction.) One way of going about this is showing that, if you assume certain things about reality, one set of axioms is better than another if it matches reality and the other doesn't.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And an infinite God would not fit in a finite universe, hence the axiom doesn't fit reality. Wait shit, I said I was done talking about this. NOW I'm done talking about this!!
Omega
Member # 91

Only because you've defined your terms so. God, by definition of a transcendent being, has no need to fit inside the universe.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Then how would he affect things *in* the universe? Aw crap I give up, I'll discuss, I'll discuss....
Omega
Member # 91

Is there some reason He shouldn't be able to? It sounds like you're defining the universe to be a closed system. Not sure why that's necessary.

[ August 30, 2006, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Omega ]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to nitpick, the universe is most likely finite but unbounded.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Show me the "outside" of the space-time continuum, then we'll talk.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Show me the "outside" of the space-time continuum, then we'll talk.

Does Washington, D.C. count?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps