Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » United States of Godland? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: United States of Godland?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gonk is almighty. Gonk is merciful. Gonk is just. Gonk is all-loving. Gonk is all-knowing. Gonk is all-seeing. Gonk is the alpha and the omega. Gonk is magnanimous to his foes and generous to his friends. OBEY GONK!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never!

I refuse to worship your false god! I declare jihad on Gonk!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, Gonk is magnanimous to his foes and generous to his friends.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spit on Gonk, R5 is my lord and savior!
Shik
Member # 343

Ahhhh...R5ism. Yes, we know of that sect. Again, like Gonk himself, we Gonkians are still magnanimous.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because Gonk only has one input socket.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Member # 343

I should've totally gone the Cerrano route with my comment.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I prefer a polytheistic approach of worshipping those little toaster droids.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but then you'll have someone make a TV show about how the pantheon of droids was really a computer virus useing them as hosts or something...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they originally came from the planet Zeist!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Immortal truth is not subjective. Omega is right: there can be only one.

I really have no problem with elected officials having strong beliefs. I also think it's unrealistic to expect them to be able to completely compartmentalize the influence of those strong beliefs. Where I take issue is when those beliefs come directly into conflict with the precepts of our government. That the founding fathers were at least nominally Christian I think speaks volumes that they were able to set aside their personal beliefs and promise freedom of relgion in the offing of that Bill of Rights thingy.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

The smartest thing said so far: placing your job over religion.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I really have no problem with elected officials having strong beliefs. I also think it's unrealistic to expect them to be able to completely compartmentalize the influence of those strong beliefs. Where I take issue is when those beliefs come directly into conflict with the precepts of our government. That the founding fathers were at least nominally Christian I think speaks volumes that they were able to set aside their personal beliefs and promise freedom of relgion in the offing of that Bill of Rights thingy.
I think you have it backwards. Christianity's intended nature is that it pervades every aspect of your life. It can't be compartmentalized. You can't just say "I'm a Christian except when I'm acting as a government official." You have to be the government official God would want you to be, whatever that means, and Christianity does not advocate forcing anyone outside the faith to do anything. The founding fathers didn't put aside their faith in order to promise freedom of religion; their faith REQUIRED them to promise freedom of religion.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may be your view of modern Christianity. But that's not exactly how it was typically practiced back then. Or, really, at any point in the first 1900 years or so of its existence.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
quote:
I think you have it backwards. Christianity's intended nature is that it pervades every aspect of your life. It can't be compartmentalized. You can't just say "I'm a Christian except when I'm acting as a government official." You have to be the government official God would want you to be, whatever that means, and Christianity does not advocate forcing anyone outside the faith to do anything. The founding fathers didn't put aside their faith in order to promise freedom of religion; their faith REQUIRED them to promise freedom of religion.
It is that way of thinking that has prevented gays from getting married and allowed institutions like the FCC to curtail our freedoms like freedom of speech. Some Senators and Representatives feel that their faith tells them to commit these acts which impose on the rights of others.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps