Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Roasting Canada (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Roasting Canada
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, what's with all this Canadian nationalism lately? I mean, I'm all for nationalism, but sometimes it seems a bit extreme. Twice this week I've seen Canadians complain about being called American, even though they live in North America. And it's not like there's much difference between Canada and the US, beyond funny accents, eh? Both were founded by England. Both are predominantly English-speaking (sure, there's some French-speakers, but no more than Spanish-speaking people in the US). The level of technology and culture is similar. And both, uh, share a common border (okay, fine, that's stretching it a bit). Doesn't Canada even rely on the US military for protection? If there's a war tomorrow, I'd like like to see the Canadians go, "No, we don't need your help, US, we're independent, we are!" How about the US says, "Oh, go away. You burnt down the White House!"?

(I don't actually have anything against Canada or it's citizens. I just felt it was time someone threw them on the grill.)

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"You're a real colonel, right?" - Taco Bell Chihuahua to Colonel Sanders, facing an army of battle droids

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Canadian Armed Forces do deploy to regions (some of them Hot Spots) that interest Canada.
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You call this a roasting? I thought it was going to be about that Sabres game! Now THAT was a roasting for the Canadians....

heheheh...

------------------
"We are all a product of the environment we live in.... the rest, good or bad, may be free will." Charles C. Bohnam

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
easy on the similair culture thing.
Everyone is different. Attiudes are different.
Just look at the gun issue, jail,mentatlity of the people and their view on the,selves. totally different

------------------
I did'nt do it.

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cargile: Yes, but the Canadian military is really small, especially for its land area.

monkeyboy: The political views of Canadians are present in the US, just not prevalent. They're not that different anyway.

------------------
"You're a real colonel, right?" - Taco Bell Chihuahua to Colonel Sanders, facing an army of battle droids

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fear my perception of Canada has been heavily influenced by "Due South".......

And why the hell shouldn't they resent being called American?

------------------
"She turned me into a NEWT!..........
.....Well, I got better..."

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has their own culture, and what if it's similar? They're proud of being Canadians, so let them be. I am a Pakistani living here in England, and I consider myself to be a British Pakistani. I will never deny that part of my heritage, and no-one should be held accountable for honouring or acknowledging their own background.

------------------
The public has spoken. Common sense has prevailed. We have been returned what was wrongly taken away from us. All hail COCO POPS!!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I want in on the roasting!

I AM NO LESS CANADIAN THAN ANYONE ELSE HERE, NO MATTER WHAT SOMEONE MAY SAY.

There. I've had enough of that, being called less of a Canadian!

No! Due South is evil!

Very small, yes. U.S. dependant, more than the U.S. depends on itself!

------------------
Vreenak: "The man who started the war with the Dominion... Somehow I thought you'd be taller." (DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight")

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
COCO POPS!

Ahem, sorry.

And Monty's just bitter because he probably gets called English instead of British or Scottish.

Which isn't a problem for me.

Except for the American who once thought I was Irish. The blooming cheak of it all m'lad. Ooh, she stole me lucky charms she did.

------------------
'There's no meat in beer, right?'
-Joey Tribiani

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, and the topic drifted to Quebec and such, and how vehement some Canadians are becoming about their nationality and sovreignty. "You'd almost think they were from the US," she said.

Which fits, when I listen to talk radio and such and hear people moaning about how we're "giving up sovreignty" to the UN and NATO and such. (I say "and such" a lot, don't I?) And I wonder what they would have said if they were present at the Constitutional Convention, when the original States of the US gave up sovreignty to form the US. How far down does nationalism have to go before it becomes stupid? Probably where it is in Yugoslavia.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*straps on flamethrower*

*Roasts both Frank and Jeff*

Ok guys, how would you like it? Medium Rare? Well done? Charcoal Burned?

Jeff: We'll be back next year. And we'll be coming with a vengeance.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*walks in all mean-faced* *takes out a beefy arsenal of weapons and means o'mass destruction* *blows all the Canaduuh-Bashers into little kibbles and then kicks the kibbles out the airlock* How about that, eh!? >:-) Die.

Americans. They support the death penalty. They like the heat. They still haven't switched over to the metric system like everyone else. They think they're the kings of the planet, regardless if they are or not. They still use 1 and 2 dollar bills. They supported slavery. They are all rich, live in big houses with two cars and 10 pets, they are the world's enemy right now, and come July 14 1999, they will all die. Gee. Sucks to be you.....eh? Hehehe.

------------------
listen.to/prophecies/
"Where were you on July 14th?"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not know the U.S. had two-dollar bills. Maybe I'm misinformed...

Americans are people from the Americas.

------------------
Vreenak: "The man who started the war with the Dominion... Somehow I thought you'd be taller." (DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight")

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

*thinks of another thing* And I thought only about half the U.S. states have the death penalty...

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, I don't like the death penalty, or heat, and I do like the metric system. But everything else you said is true. Heh heh heh.

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps