Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Roasting Canada (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Roasting Canada
The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might be a red neck if you know what a Furriner is. LMAO!!

I don't want to offend here, but it needs saying. The biggest difference between US and THEM is:
Their Queen is in a castle, ours are in Bars.

------------------
THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*glares* hmmmmmmmmmmm

*decides not to even get STARTED*

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why? Canadians are generally held in higher regard than U.S. citizens overseas. Now, we take you back to the pretty-much-government-wide U.S. superiority complex, everyone...

------------------
Vreenak: "The man who started the war with the Dominion... Somehow I thought you'd be taller." (DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight")

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: there are a number of fairly deep differences. For example the number one issue in the recent Ontario election was preserving universal medicare. Now in the US there is still no medicare and many people seem not to want it. There are other examples, we have twice been ruled by leaders who were at one point communists, and blacklisted by the CIA. We have never lost a war, and we sacrificed more for longer during both world wars, but that is rarely mentioned.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if a canadian walked into an English pub, he'd get a completly different reaction to an American.

An American would have the crap beat out of him. The Canadian would be bought drinks and everyone would laugh at how annoying Americans are.

Of course, if you go to Scotland, you'd get beat up just for having hair. Or not having hair. They don't need an excuse.

------------------
'There's no meat in beer, right?'
-Joey Tribiani

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon: Not so. Pretty much the entire Democratic party supports nationwide medical care. The others are minor differences.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"You're a real colonel, right?" - Taco Bell Chihuahua to Colonel Sanders, facing an army of battle droids

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon: Canada may have sacrificed longer in the World War's, because that's of their own choosing. But more? More what? Materials, supplies, or people? The US built the more war machines for both wars. We may not have sent more supplies in WWI, but in WWII, we gave the British Lend-Lease supplies. Weapons, ships, food, oil, everything needed to fight a war. And sacrifices, let me name a few...The Phillipines, Guadalcanal, Tinian, Okinawa, Saipan, those are some pretty damn big sacrafices there. Not to mention the lives wasted in WWI trench warfare, and gas attacks.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

[This message was edited by Warped1701 on June 03, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are few things more dangerous than fundamentalism. That includes any form of unquestioning devotion, such as nationalism. But we wouldn't want people to have to be independant entities, would we? Better to tie our self-image to the nearest ethnic group/political party/sports team.

------------------
"Near the door! They leave reality inside!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's how people think.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"You're a real colonel, right?" - Taco Bell Chihuahua to Colonel Sanders, facing an army of battle droids

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sol: Perhaps you were just talking about people in general. Personally, I don't time my self-image to any ethnic group/political party/sports team. I'm a person, just like everyone else, be it black, white, brown, yellow, blue, or otherwise. Catholic, Christian, Buddhist, Islamic, Atheist, it makes no difference to me. I agree with some, but not all, the ideas of both US political parties. When I vote, I vote for the candidate that I feel will best perform the job. As for sports, I don't really care for sports much. I'll watch them sometimes, but I have no team that I'm devoted to.

Forgive me for caring about my country. I'm damn glad to be an American, and always have been. Yes, we can be overly proud and arrogant people, but every country has people like that. I love my country, but even so, that doesn't mean I like everything about it. Our political system, it would work if we got rid of the current politicians and started from scratch with decent, honest people. The justice system...there really isn't one. There's alot of talk about being 'tough on crime' but that's all it is, talk.

I don't attach labels to myself, or others, because those labels divide us as people. I may not like the US's or other nations policies concerning one thing or another, but we are all human nonetheless. At least, that's the way I see it.

------------------
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Simon meant is that Canada sacrificed more people per capita in both world wars than the United States.

As for medicare, its not so much that the US does not have national medicare, its that they don't have universal and equal access to a one-tier medicare system.

There is also the minor difference in that our leaders don't get into sex scandals as much, heh

------------------
If a tree falls on a mime in the forest...does anyone care?

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have government-funded universal health care, but we do have de-facto universal health care. I have yet to hear of a person denied routine medical treatment because they would not be able to pay. Our universal health-care system is not directed by the government nor is it administered by government employees. Rather, it is directed by compassion and administered by caring people.

--Baloo

------------------
That's not all I have to say on the subject, but it'll do for now.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, America has been proud of itself ever since we recieved our freedom, because we fought for it.

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

Does it really matter about people per capita? It doesn't matter how many people live in a square kilometer of a particular nation that died for their country. What matters is that those people gave their lives for their country, and what they believe in.

Personally, I'm in favor of a one-tier medical system. The long-term benefits far outweigh the short-term losses. But since this is the US, things will never change as long as lobbyists still exist. Even so, as Baloo said, the doctors and nurses who want to help people. You might be surprised, but some doctors get paid rather meager salaries for all the torture that had to go through to get that MD. Their love for helping those in need may possibly make them some of the most heart-felt of us all.

------------------
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

*looks at the by-line* Wow...Senior Member.

*we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread*

------------------
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps