Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Roasting Canada (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Roasting Canada
The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like "Due South"!

------------------
THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
90% of being a Canadian is not being an American. We define ourselves by how we are different from the US, and thus calling us Americans makes it seem like we have no reason to be exsiting as a seperate nation.
IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, why does Canada need to be a separate nation? Is it really that different?

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"You're a real colonel, right?" - Taco Bell Chihuahua to Colonel Sanders, facing an army of battle droids

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FG: Hell yeah. You should see what we do to the American students up here at school who think Toronto is near Edmonton. Trust me, the differences between Canadians and Americans are far greater then one would think. Knowledge about things outside one's homecountry is the big giveaway. Arrogance is another.

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I meet both qualifications (especially in the second area), as do many people I know...

------------------
"You're a real colonel, right?" - Taco Bell Chihuahua to Colonel Sanders, facing an army of battle droids

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"My fellow Americans..."

American usually just applies to citizens of the U.S.. I have never been called an 'United Statian'

------------------
"Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Optimus Prime."

Rule #1 : Always try to help a friend redeem himself from a past mistake.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks at Coddman's List.

1) Not only do I support it, I enforce it.
2) Heat is good. Girls in shorts. Nuff said.
3) I like Metric.
4) When you've got it, flaunt it!
5) 1 dollar bills fit in my wallet better than coins. The S.B. Anthony dollar flopped 'cause it was the size of a quarter - blame idiots at Treasury. Two-dollar bills are rarely used, but still accepted.
6) Not my state, not my family.
7) I am poor, live in someone else's house, have a car which is falling apart, and am owned by a cat.
8) I'm not the worst enemy of the whole world, just the Fundies
9) Come July 14, I will be using Century XX as toilet paper. I won't die. If all the things I've been through and done haven't killed me, I'm damned well near-immortal anyway.

Besides, you can't shoot Canada-bashers with guns. Canukistanis can't have guns. They're not allowed. Might shoot a moose, eh?

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I work at Six Flags Darien Lake, in Western NY, I have a lot of contact with Canadians...

Many people have said that "Canadians are much more polite than the Americans."

Well, let me tell you, there are polite Canadians, and rude ones too, just as the US has rude and polite people. You Canadians are more like us than you'd like to admit.

BTW, does Canada, specifically the Toronto/Niagara Falls region have a problem with Pakistani? I keep running into Canadians who seem to not like em...

------------------
"We are all a product of the environment we live in.... the rest, good or bad, may be free will." Charles C. Bohnam

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, now I'm intrigued. Are there Pakistani haters down there, and are their reasons any different from the ones propagated by the extreme right?

------------------
The public has spoken. Common sense has prevailed. We have been returned what was wrongly taken away from us. All hail COCO POPS!!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt you will find a statistically significant number of Americans who have anything against Pakistanis because they (or their ancestors) are from Pakistan. You'd be hard-pressed to find Americans who could find Pakistan on a map without an index, for that matter.

On the other hand, I fear that you may find a few Americans who would hate Pakistanis because they're "furriners". Of course, many of these same people believe that the native Americans ought to go back where they came from.

------------------
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
-- Plato
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message was edited by Baloo on June 03, 1999.]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't be called a United Statian. U.S. citizen would be a proper, accepted, and much less confusing, term.

Frank, to suggest that one's nationality is not important and that one be completely assimilated is not a wise thing to do.

------------------
Vreenak: "The man who started the war with the Dominion... Somehow I thought you'd be taller." (DS9: "In the Pale Moonlight")

[This message was edited by Elim Garak on June 03, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Nationality is important, yes. It's just that Canadians are so similar to US citizens (to borrow a term ), I don't see why they complain when the two aren't distinguished from each other.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Wonders what effect Nationalism has on stereotyping*

Does strongly identifying yourself with a certain group of people mean defaulting to being identified with the stereotypes about that group?

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: Why we complain is that we are the only people who do not recognize that we are almost indistinguishable from Amercians. If you ask many Canadians whether, as a soceity, we are closer to the Americans or the British they will say the British.

On disliking foreingners:
A few years ago a study was done asking people's opinions on the effect Wissan-Americans had on the US. Almost a third of those polled said that they though the invented ethnic group was having a negative effect on the US.

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Fine, what makes Canada so different, then?

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps