Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Maybe he just needs new speechwriters (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Maybe he just needs new speechwriters
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since he apparently wants to free teachers from the stifiling bureaucracies that they have to deal with, I'd say that's a pretty darned good thing. Any elimination of bureaucracies is generally a good thing. Which, BTW, is what Newt was refering to with the "wither on the vine" speech: the Medicare burueaucracy, not medicare itself. Just so you know.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree. I have a bit of perspective on this, since both my parents recently retired after 30+ years of teaching, EACH, and I've had to endure ALL the stories. Teachers have to put up with a LOT of government-and-legal-mandated CRAP along with the regular job... of course, so do a lot of other people. This, I'd wager, was the point that GW. was trying to make. That people could do their jobs more efficiently with less government intrusion, rather than more. Not that ALL intrusion is bad.. I still agree with integration etc, But.. do we really need a national regulation on the exact square inchage of student's desktops?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't we just agree that Gore and Bush are both morons, and leave it at that? :-)

------------------
"If the rope is a quarter of a Zeuslength in size, then the Defiant shalt most naturally be seven times the thirty-second part of a Zeuslength?"
-Boris Skrbic, 27-Sep-2000

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only if you agree that Bush is less of a moron than Gore...

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'd say they're both equally moronic... :-)

------------------
"If the rope is a quarter of a Zeuslength in size, then the Defiant shalt most naturally be seven times the thirty-second part of a Zeuslength?"
-Boris Skrbic, 27-Sep-2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Except that Gore is a compulsive liar, too.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Math and science, my butt.

Speaking of beauracracies, Jay, did you read that LA Times Magazine article about how Steve Sample took 100 million in donations out of UCLA's pocket?

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone in politics is moronic IMO. Who would want to go into that field anyhow?

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't see much in this thread about Bush and policy on education.

If he means eliminating rules in the schools to help children learn better... well almost Hippy-esk of him. George "Moonbean" Bush.

Ziyal:
No I didn't see that, but I can pull it up and take a look at it...it's very hard for me to think of the Magazine as doing actual news...it's so fluff oriented.

------------------
This is a place of business, not a peewee flopphouse!
~C. Montgomery Burns

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the one from two weeks ago. Front page even. Of course, it wasn't only about THAT. It was mostly about Steve Sample and his track record after 10 years at USC.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.angelfire.com/journal/gooshi/contents.html

Democrat presidential candidate Al Gore defended his growing reputation for falsehoods during an appearance on the "Larry King Live" program.

He told the host Thursday night, "In a campaign, you know, if you get a fact wrong, all of a sudden you are accused of committing some horrible offense."

Getting facts "wrong?" un-fucking-believable. Oops, I can't remember my own life.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, I think what he's talking about isnot removing all rules from schools, but just removing federal rules and regulations that are restrictive to teachers and other educators. This will allow them to set up their own rules, giving control to those who have to teach, and not some bureaucracy some thousand miles away.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freeing the school from rules is completely different from freeing the students therein from rules.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, fine...maybe Dubya just needs to understand that he needs to get into specifics when he talks. Rather than those feel good generalities.

Good, then perhaps Jeff, Omega or anyone else could mention the rules and regulations he intends to "free" the wee ones from so that they can be good little students?

------------------
This is a place of business, not a peewee flopphouse!
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited October 02, 2000).]

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What rules and regulations do you want to free teachers from? We need specifics

------------------
"More beer, more beer, more beer, more beer! ARSE!"
- Ode to God.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps