Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Maybe he just needs new speechwriters (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Maybe he just needs new speechwriters
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents never told me a thing. Which might be why I didn't get the "no, don't worry, you just rolled over the juice box" line in "The One Where Ross and Rachel...y'know" until the third time I watched it.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many of my parents actually sat down with us? Well, all two of them, of course. It started when I was about 10. They started it off with an article in Omni Magazine called "Tyrannosaurus Sex" which was about possible reproduction of dinosaurs. After that, I went and got several books in the library about puberty, and such. After that, when I was 13-14, my parents sat down with us about it again, going over why you should "keep it in your pants" and such. I turned out pretty good, so it musta worked

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned it all in school sex-ed class. Catholic school, mind you. My parents never talked to me about it. And I'm fine.

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Says you. Maybe I just have different standards, but "liking Stargate SG-1" does not count as being "fine" in my book, m'laddo.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: I was only referring to sex. Aside from that, "fine" isn't even close...

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My god. I believe Jeff and I have a totally different set of ideas about how parents should be involved.....

You should be able to have open discussions with your parents on this issue, when you first become aware of it. But spoon feeding of this nature isn't what I was getting at.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it came across like I was 'spoon-fed,' then I apologize... It was an open discussion. What had happened was that my brothers and I were reading the magazine(not that article) so my parents thought they'd use it as a way to give 'the talk.'

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I never had the talk. I just kind of picked bits up here and there, forming a whole picture in my mind, or some other such wholesome image.

What always confuses me is that people say "no, you have to have the talk with them, otherwise they'll just have sex without realising the dangers". When I learnt about sex, I kind of picked up on the "it get's you pregnent" thing at the same time. And everyone loves telling disgusting STD' stories. Genital warts are always funny.

I'm not sure where kids are apparently picking up information on sex without learning that, well, it gives you VD and stuff. Maybe. Hell, even Friends made a thing about the girls not being able to have sex because there wasn't an available condom. Is there this evil conspiracy to cover up the bad side of British Beef and Sex, telling everyone that you can bonk your brains out, and don't worry about protection and whatnot, cause it don't really matter? We should find him, and make him suffer. By giving him my sex-life! Bwahahahaha!

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, from the limited sample...I was hoping for more of a response from the rest of the crowd...

• Talked about sex with parental units: 2
  • Did not talk about sex with parental units: 3

So before anyone goes damning public education for teaching a modicum of sex education

"Crikey, that looks like a picture of ovary Mr. Smith..."
"Your right Billy. The ovary produces eggs. And when Mr. Sperm meets Ms. Egg...all kinds of things start to happen! Can you say cell mitosis."

Anatomy and physiology.

It's certainly not:

"Crikey, that looks like a picture of ovary Mr. Smith..."
"You're right Billy. Now class, here is a bowl full of condoms, I'm going to leave while you students have an orgy that would make Caligula blush. And for those differently oriented, there are sheep in my office."

Doesn't happen that way.

If sex education helps do a copule of things then I am fine with it.

1) I think it helps students who do not have parents who are strong influences in their lives unstand the physiology of sex and of reproduction. Good teachers can offer answeers to honest questions than might help teens decide that the time is probably not right for them at this time in their lives to begin having sex.

2) Heck, it might just stimulate people to choose anatomy and physiology as education options and spur those adolescent minds into the next generation of some pretty good doctors. That and cutting up frogs of course.

For those students with parents at home who are involved in their lives...may goodness doesn't this offer a GREAT way for Dad to tell young Billy what the faimly beliefs are and what he expects from his son.
The communication door wide open. All who wish to step through may...others may remain ignorant at their own peril.

------------------
This is a place of business, not a peewee flopphouse!
~C. Montgomery Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Actually, it was more a case of not talking it over with my parents because I didn't need too. None of my brothers, or my sister have done. Apart from my older sister saying to me and my younger brother "you will use protection, won't you?", to which we replied "of course".

Our parents, crazily enough, just tried to raise us as nice, sensible people. Who would be smart enough to realise that if you poke every fireplace you meet without a fireguard to protect against spraying ashes, then you're going to get burned.

I'm sorry, that was an awful analogy. Never let me use it again.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of which, there's an excellent bit at Modern Humorist today about George Bush having "the talk" with his son.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps