Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » US to seize OPEC (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: US to seize OPEC
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh. Canada produces it's own oil and we still have high prices. Go figure.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taxes, Fab. I think Fo2 posted something about that a while back...

Hobbes:

The environmental wackos don't want us to drill there. Something about messing up the environment. Oh, yes, we'll loose the senic use of a few hundred acres of ice. Don't have enough ice fields in Alaska NOW, so we CERTAINLY can't afford to loose even a small part of one.

'Course, the only way it would actually do real damage is in an accident, and those happen extremely rarely. And the environment bounces back rather quickly, too...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Clinton did tap in to it, for 1.5 million barrels. It is known as Naval Oil Reserves, I think Field No. 2 is the largest. It is to be used for emergencies only, like the 70's, or incase a war in the mid-east makes it too difficult to get what we need.
If you think you pay a lot for gas look at this...
Diet Snapple 16oz for $1.29 equals $10.32 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16oz for $1.19 equals $ 9.52 per gallon
Gatorade 20oz for $1.59 equals $ 10.17 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16oz for $1.25 equals $ 10.00 per gallon
Pint of milk 16oz for $1.59 equals $12.72 per gallon
STP Brake Fluid 12oz for $3.15 equals $ 33.60 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6oz for $8.35 equals $ 178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4oz for $3.85 equals $123.20 per gallon
Whiteout 7oz for $1.39 equals $25.42 per gallon
Scope 1.5oz for $0.99 equals $ 84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...... Evian water 9oz for $1.49 equals $ 21.19
per gallon .....$21.19 FOR WATER!!

Ok, any questions, or should we just start the rioting against uncontrolled capitalism????

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yes. Nyquil's an absolute necessity. In fact, I have to buy several dozen packages a week. Never mind the fact that they're not making all that much profit off that, since that's not probably not much more that what it costs to make. SOMETHING has to be done!

OK, in case you couldn't tell, that WAS sarcasm.

So... you're advocating that all LIQUIDS should cost the same, now, regardless of what they cost to make?

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, taxes are a bitch. Sure, we drill the oil from the Hibernia fields, sure, we refine it here in Saint John, but it still costs an arm and a leg. Go taxes.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polluting and getting away with it...or long enough to make some fine profits...is certainly in the best interests of the �ber large oil companies.

Consider the amount of profit for the top executives over years of polluting vs. the costs of getting caught.

Anyway Jeff, I wasn't about superfund sights anyway...unless you might want to talk about the monumental costs it would take if any of the �ber large oil company refineries were to leave Torrance and you wanted to use the land for anything.

No, the type of pollution I was speaking of was the massive amount of air pollution spewed out by all kinds of machines spewing out stuff that turns my air into a brown muck...and they hyprocical nonsense that says yesh, reduce consumptuon, lower prices, but don't touch my Sport Utility Tank.

I mentioned Houston because in the great state if Governor G.W. Bush, they passed Los Angeles for first in the country for most smog. Now, the �ber large car companies much like the �ber large oil companies really don't give much of a pooh about cleaning up the air...or about looking for alternative ways to power your car or anything else they produce. The ONLY thing they care about is that they want you to keep using their unrenewable fossil fuels that are major sources of pollution so they can keep making profits.

------------------
Get going! And answer those phones, install the computer system, and rotate my office so the window faces the hills.
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited October 17, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the feeling that some people in this discussion have never been to Alaska.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes, there are oil deposits in the Alaskan wilderness and off the cost of California...the question if you think that getting the oil there worth ruining parts of the California coast or the Alaskan wilderness?

Once it's gone, it's gone...and profits and use of gined from that oil are only temporary things.

------------------
Get going! And answer those phones, install the computer system, and rotate my office so the window faces the hills.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

I have been to Alaska Senator. It's Beautiful place.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited October 17, 2000).]

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten: Supermarkets DO sell water by the gallon. Now, I never bought a gallon of Evian, but I doubt they sell it for that much. Things are always cheaper when bought in bulk. You're oversimplifying it.

Omega: Now, aren't we just forgetting a tiny little incident called the Oil Embargo back in the 70s? If I remember correctly, oil prices went from maybe 75 cents (Don't remember exactly) to almost two dollars. "Experts" at the time thought oil prices were inelastic, meaning demand WON'T change because oil is a necessity. Well, the embargo proved them wrong. That's when all the fuel economy features came out (how many miles to a gallon). So it's not that demand doesn't change, it's that demand changes when oil prices rise drastically. Obviously, people are complaining because prices are higher than usual, but demand isn't dropping because if people can afford SUVs, they can afford a couple of dimes more per gallon. And there ARE alternatives: electric cars and hybrids (which cuts fuel by half if not more).

On a side note, someone at my apartment complex owns a BMW SUV. A horrendous double-atrocity if I ever saw one.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Well, if I ever heard of a reason to dislike Trojans...now I have one!

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, not to interject interesting side-topics into all this, but in his novel Dune, Frank Herbert makes some interesting observations about what can happen to societies wholely dependant upon singular commodities.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Omega
Member # 91

Ah, yes, the oil embargo. When Japan got a foot into our auto market due to the stupidity of Nixon and Detroit...

Now I seem to recall this having something to do with Nixon's price and wage controls, but correct me if I'm wrong. Detroit started making cars that were horribly inefficient, because they figured that, because of the price control, gas wouldn't go up. Well, then the embargo(s) came along, and people needed an alternative to waiting in lines for gas (demand didn't drop just because supply did). Japanese cars were that alternative. Small, uncomfortable, ugly, and unsafe. But they were cheap and fuel-efficient. And thus the Japanese car industry was born.

People STILL wanted gasoline. They just wanted an alternative, too. The prices were inflated naturally, instead of artificially. Thus nothing to riot against. People don't stop driving just because of low supply or high prices.

Hybrid cars are great, but they still take gas. I'm betting that once the hybrid Durango and Intrepid come out in five years or so, they're gonna be REAL popular. I want one of those Intrepids.

Electric cars just suck. You can't go more than, what, 120 miles? And that's if you don't intend to go home.

------------------
Pilot: You're sure they were Americans, eh?
Fraser: They were all wearing new boots, they were driving a Jeep Wrangler, and they carried big guns.
Pilot: Americans it is.
- "due South"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Dictator, I will guarantee a market (and a billion-dollar X-prize) to the first company to safely 'beam' back a megawatt of power from an orbiting satellite.

There, that'll fix 'em.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited October 18, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Electric cars just suck"

NOW, they might. In 20 years, I bet that no less than 50 % of the new automobiles will be Electrically powered.

------------------
"...Well, we're about to witness All-in Wrestling, brought to you tonight, ladies and gentlemen, by the makers of Scum�, the world's first combined hair oil, foot ointment, and salad dressing; and by the makers of Titan�, the novelty nuclear missile. You never know when it'll go off!" - Monty Python, Live at the Hollywood Bowl.
*ahem*

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps