Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Mandatory Plant Meeting at 3:15 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Mandatory Plant Meeting at 3:15
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, now that this is here...something that I was waiting for and expecting...I would like to see the conservative types put some action to political theory.

Now would be a great time to tell MsChris how closing the plant helps her on that personal level. You know the way that plant closing and capital flight helps the average American.

Anyone?

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you prefer that the plant kept running at a loss, eventually forcing the company to go under? What then? How many thousand more would loose their jobs?

To quote... Carville, was it? "It's the economy, STUPID!" Plants close. It happens. Deal with it. As demand changes, supply must adapt. Thus, you have to find another job where your skills can be useful to someone who can make money with them. It's a rare person that doesn't have to adapt at some point in their career.

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're just smarmy because 7-11's doing well, and your future's set.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, have a decent conversation about a question and stop calling people names.

Just how do you know the plant was running at a loss? Your crystal ball again?

Plant closes so that someone else can go and make more money elsewhere. Capital flight. Oh, yes it's a good thing when people get tossed out of work. Grand in fact. Toughens them up so's they can get used to disappointment.

Still capital needs labor. Labor needs capital. Neither is supreme in the symbiotic relationship. However, due to my favor of humanity over money, I side with labor in the contest.

But the question that needs to be answered is what does the United States and it's citizens do as money and the labor to create product is shiped off shore?

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rejoice as the fruits of capitalism, namely freedom and democracy, are spread across the face of the earth?

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, I've worked in factories, and they seldomly move because they are losing money, but because they can pay lower rates elsewhere.
ITT Oscoda Facility was replaced by a plant in Mexico. The 3 plants in that area of NE MI had a higher payroll than those same three plants in Mexico, including any taxes that ITT would get pegged for by shipping the products back to this fine country.
They could make more money is all.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in that case, buy stock in the company, and make money off their greater profits.

Or get more training. Sure, you can get unskilled labor in Mexico, but a good, say, actuary is hard to replace, even here.

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Well, that's might white of you Omega.

Still I wonder what one will do once we've shiped out all the jobs lower than a CEO to Mexico.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay - I hope to clear up a little confusion.

We were informed a few months ago that our facility (out of several - six, I think) was the only one that was making a profit. In a meeting yesterday, we were told that because of the size of the facility and overhead, the corporate board members elected to sell our facility to recoup some losses. Why ours? Well it's the nicest - $11 million dollars nice! Out of 240,000 sq. ft, we are only using about 170,000. Personally, I would think that it stands to reason that they would move stuff to our facility. Makes too much sense - too easy. All of the other facilities are old, dilapidated, and have alot of safety regulations. The baord members are looking strictly at the financial aspect of all this.

Now here are some of the contradicting issues. They moved the production to another facility whose labor rates are 12% higher than ours. But hey, the other facility is having to go to prison facilities to get workers. They have a horrendous reputation and can't keep employees - but then inmates are just about free labor right? All I can really say in this regard is "What the hell? You have a good honest family struggling to make their way in this world and this company takes their jobs and gives them to inmates!"

Another contradicting issue...The facility that the production is moving to has basically cut their own throats. You see, when the lines came to our facility - they came from the facility they are moving back to. The customers are pissed that it's going back, the suppliers (vendors) are pissed. The customers can't get anything on time from them - and can't get anyone to return a call either. The vendors were left hanging with open balances on Purchase Orders - giving them incentive to NOT supply them again.

There's other things too, but it's really too much to get into at this point. The way I see it, the board members have set this company up to fail. I am curious to see how it all turns out, but I don't think I'll be able to keep track of it.

I am appreciative on little fact (for the moment). I'm ever grateful that I'm not on the receiving end and believing that I have a secure future with this move. Oh, boy! What a mess! And they don't even realize it yet. They will know by mid March.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bites his hand to avoid laughing at UM's comment*

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Omega
Member # 91

So basically, you're working for morons, and the company's going to go out of business one way or another?

------------------
- Fraser, "due South"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd point out that if jobs are going to Mexico, that's not the conservatives' fault. WE didn't give you NAFTA.

And does anybody here know how much overregulation costs business each year?

According to Hopkins (Economist at Rochester Institute of Technology and former administrator of the Office of Management and Budget), government regulation costs the average USA household between $4000 and $5000 each year. _(Bandow, Citizens against Government Waste, Issue Brief #8, 1993.)

The Government spent 1.251 trillion on regulation in 1990. that amount has surely gone up.

Regulations add 33% to the cost of building an airplane engine and as much as 95% to the cost of a new vaccine.

Now, I'm sure that MANY regulations are helpful and good... but at THIS price?? Is it any wonder that so many companies are failing to turn profits?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've just got one question... What the fuck is wrong w/ people here?! I mean, here's someone who's just lost her job, he family's primary source of income, through no fault of her own, and, rather than offering some form of moral support, we start a discussion on fucking politics!

Learn some fucking compassion, people...

------------------
"It's like LSD refined into HTML form."
-Simon Sizer, regarding superbad.com, 12-Dec-2000

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear hear, Tim.

I've been looking in and out of these really, really divisive JeffK /Omega/ etc. feuds (I refuse to call them fights or battles - they really are personal sometimes), and I've never contributed in any appreciable way or means to the wrangling.

I have however reached one conclusion:

I'm SICK TO THE BACK TEETH of them!!

Fight away. Insult each other till nightfall and beyond.
This is the Flameboard.
That's yer business, and one which you've every right to indulge in.
I'm just ranting over the dragging of politics into everything.

I'M NOT FINISHED!!!

OK, I am.

BTW, how's it going, Chris? "It" meaning "stuff".

------------------
Go Mad.
Go Evil.
Just GO.

MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not too bad. It's all sank in and the shock has worn off. I did get my layoff letter today (a.k.a.-pink slip). I'm employed thru February 16th - with a possibility of two weeks after the end date. You would think I would be happy about that. I am sort of - at least it's an income.

I'm just not real happy having to twiddle my thumbs from January 15th (the day my lines are moving out) until February 16th. Oh the boredom! My supervisor recommends using the net to find other job opportunities *raised eyebrow*! I'll either flood this board with utterly useless posts/threads or have long drawn out conversations with everyone I can think of over the phone. Anyone care to donate their phone number to a good cause?

I'll be rebuilding my resume' this weekend. *sigh*
The hunt shall commence (now that I have an end date for my job)!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps