Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A few brief lessons in Xianity... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A few brief lessons in Xianity...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, all you self-proclaimed "Christians", who don't even seem to know what you're getting yourselves into when you call yourselves that... Here are a few things I've noticed a lot of you seem to be unclear on...

1.) You're not the first, last, or only group to come up w/ the concept of a "god", so quit acting like it. Your main deity is named "Yahweh", so start calling it that. Calling it "god" is like if I started calling all of you "person".
For those of you who think the bible should only be read in the original English... Every time it says "the LORD", it means the original said "YHWH" (we're tlaking about the Hebrew books here; the Greek ones were done when people had already taken the nonspecific approach), which is, of course, just the name "Yahweh". If it says "GOD", the original was "elohim", which means "gods". There are a couple exceptions to this, but it applies to the OT in general, for the most part.

2.) Speaking of names, "Christ" isn't one. Your religion's founder's parents were not Joseph Christ and Mary Christ. It's a title. It's from "khristos", the Greek translation of the Hebrew "mashiah". "Christ" is no more a name than "Messiah" is.

And, while we're at it...

3.) If you travelled back in time to, say, AD 32, and started asking around for a guy named "jeez-uss", you'd get some pretty funky looks. "Jesus" used to be "Iesus" in Latin (roughly pronounced "yeh-soos"). That was "Iesous" in Greek (about the same pronunciation). The Hebrew was "Yeshua'" (I don't know much about Hebrew pronunciation, but that sure as hell isn't "jeez-uss"). 'Course, this still isn't the guy's name. He didn't usually speak Hebrew. He spoke Aramaic. It's hard to find resources on Aramaic online, but I gather his name was pronounced something like "ee-sho". So, who this "jeez-uss" fellow is you all like, I don't know, but you might want to start worshipping "ee-sho", since he's the one that created your religion.

I mean, c'm'on... If you guys don't even know the names of the entities you say you believe in, do you really think you know enough to make an accurate judgement on the accuracy of those beliefs?

------------------
8164 7644 8724 6991+360 8164 8724 6541 8164 7239

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come now. Fair points. Look into the roots of Judiaism and they'll trace you back to Iran. And so forth.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Semantics, nitpicking, splitting hairs.

I won't even bother.

------------------
Greg: You bought me a urinal cookie?
Mike: Not just any ordinary urinal cookie! It has the AOL logo embossed on it!
-www.userfriendly.org, 12-08-00

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, the only one that really bugs me....is the use of "god" interchanged freely with "God" specific.

Then again, we humans are pretty uncreative.
You know...we call our sun, "the Sun"...
the earth and dirt we're standing on..."the Earth"
There are probably more examples, but its too early for creative thought.

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN makes some good points, although I think it would be more interesting if we pronounced YHWH not as "Yahweh" but as "Yahoo-wahoo."

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"That's the last time I have a headcheese hoagie before bedtime." - Leonard Nimoy

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's wrong with calling the sun the sun? Do you have a better name for it? Hapleplakledackledexia, perhaps? The sun is the sun because that's what it is.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it really matter what His given name is? Everyone knows who you (or they) are talking about.

**agrees with Jeff Raven**

[This message has been edited by MsChris (edited December 31, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, given that there are millions of Gods invented by millions of Religions, one should clarify which God is the one spoken of.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is why it's considered proper to use the capitalized "God" when refering to the specific deity, instead of the lower-case "god" when generically refering to anything people worship. In the first case, it's a proper noun. In the second, it's not.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's my point. "God" is not a proper noun. His name is "Yahweh". Call him that.

I mean, if I decide that Loki is the one true god, and I start referring to him as "God", like it was his name, would you be perfectly okay w/ that?

------------------
8164 7644 8724 6991+360 8164 8724 6541 8164 7239

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy Huitzlopochtli myself.

What about other religions that only have one single deity? If they call their God 'God', Is their diety the same as your deity?

Although, to think of it, I can't think of any other Religion that just calls their God, God.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then I'd suggest you need to do a bit of research on the subject.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay - This is my take on it...

There is only one 'God'. Depending on your religion, he will look like what you've been taught. This can be many different things. He will represent what you have been taught - and that too can be many different things. TO EACH HIS OWN!

What I see happening here is that someone is trying to tell everyone what 'God's' name is and who he is. This isn't a good thing to be doing. You have one soul (or maybe just a few) in this thread, trying to change someone's entire life of beliefs. What are the possibilities of being successful?

Just exactly what is the intent of this thread? Is it to just pick an argument or is there something trying to be aproached constructively? So far, I haven't seen the constructive part yet.

Yeah, Yeah... Ever heard of PMS? I've just graced you with it! *ahem*

*goes off to bless DEA with it's conveniences!*

[This message has been edited by MsChris (edited January 01, 2001).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There is only one 'God'."

What about polytheistic religions?

"What I see happening here is that someone is trying to tell everyone what 'God's' name is..."

The point is that the Christian god isn't just "God," he does have a proper name, Yahweh (or Yahoo-wahoo, or Yowiehowuhie or whatever you prefer).

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"That's the last time I have a headcheese hoagie before bedtime." - Leonard Nimoy

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually just call Him Sir....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps