Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A few brief lessons in Xianity... (Page 10)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A few brief lessons in Xianity...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew counted forward, using the whole "so-and-so begat such-and-such" format.

Both words can be used to indicate indirect descent. For all I know, it's the same word. Greek's weird like that.

So, if your point is that Matthew skips people, why did you say that Luke has the bad translation?

Where did I say that? I said your particular copy of the Bible was missing important information on slightly different versions of the same manuscript. And my point can be both, you know.

I don't know how this works in the Greek from which it was translated, but I highly doubt that you do, either.

I know enough to know that if the word translated as "all" from Greek only appears once, it's considered ambiguous. It could be modifying all three, or just the one. You have to judge by context. Since the context requires that it only modify the first...

So you're saying that, as long as some of them agree, it's okay?

"Most." Not "some." Meaning the great majority agree. As I've said, chances are that someone just screwed up making a hand copy of the original (or an early copy thereof) ninteen centuries or so ago. And again, you have to go by context. We already have a record of those generations from two other sources, and the majority of Luke manuscripts agree with those sources. It is logical to assume that the correct source to use is the one that agrees with as many other valid sources as possible, both internally and externally. Thus, no Admin, and Luke and Matthew are still consistant.

For all you know, the ones that match were altered specifically for the purpose of making them match.

And how would you suggest someone go about this? I think you're just getting desperate for an explaination.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
">And how would you suggest someone go about this? I think you're just getting desperate for an explaination."

Actually, that one's fairly easy.

Most 'records' of ancient times, until the printing press was invented, were copied from generation to generation by people who were generally under the command of the Church. (Monks, mostly, are responsible for all those old 'illuminated manuscripts')

So maybe somebody reads something that he's copying and notices a discrepancy. So he points it out to the Friar In Chief, and the guy says "change it so it matches, and burn the old copy. we can't have anything undermining Our authority." So they do. Voila, altered text. Happened all the time. Really, the Soviets under Stalin did the same thing with their history books.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give you Matthew 1:17, in Romanized Greek:

----------

pasai oun ai geneai apo abraam ewv dabid geneai dekatessarev kai apo dabid ewv thv ~metoikesiav babulwnov geneai dekatessarev kai apo thv metoikesiav babulwnov ewv tou cristou geneai dekatessarev

So all the generations from Abraham to David were fourteen generations, and from David to the deportation to Babylon fourteen generations, and from the deportation to Babylon to the Christ fourteen generations.

----------

First we'll translate the obvious words.

pasai oun ai (generations) apo (Abraham) ewv (David)(generations) (fourteen) kai apo (David) ewv thv ~metoikesiav (something to do with Babylon) (generations) (fourteen) kai apo thv metoikesiav (something to do with Babylon) ewv tou (Annointed One (Christ)) (generations) (fourteen)

----------

From this, we can probably deduce the meaning of the remaining words. "Apo" would seem to mean "from," "ewv" would seem to mean "to." Since we can also tell which word represents Babylon, we can deduce that "thv metoikesiav babulwnov" refers to the Babylonian capture of Israel, or the "deportation to Babylon." Thus we plug again.

----------

pasai oun ai (generations) (from) (Abraham) (to) (David)(generations) (fourteen) kai (from) (David) (to) (the deportation to Babylon) (fourteen) kai (from) (the deportation to Babylon) (to) tou (Annointed One (Christ)) (generations) (fourteen)

----------

Now it seems logical to assume that "kai" means "and," and that leavs us with "tou," and which we can guess means "to." That leaves us with "pasai oun ai" untranslated, but we can assume that it means "so all the." Since none of these words appears more than once in the verse, it follows that the word "all" only appears once, and is thus ambiguous. Yeah, in English, it would certainly modify all three groups, but not necessarily in Greek. It looks to me like the translators ignored sentence structure altogether here.

You can diagram the English sentence all you want, Tim. I'd love to see you diagram a Greek one.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: You expect me to trust your translation skills when you can't even transliterate properly? How the fuck did you get "ewv" out of "heos"?! The Greek word is spelled epsilon-omega-sigma, and the diacritical marks show an 'h' at the beginning.

As a matter of fact, you transliterated every omega as a 'w'! Can you not even properly interpret the letter that you use as your name?!

Here's the proper transliteration. I've used capital letters to denote eta and omega, as opposed to epsilon and omicron...

pasai oun hai geneai apo abraam heOs dauid geneai dekatessares, kai apo dauid heOs tEs metoikesias babulOnos geneai dekatessares, kai apo tEs metoikesias babulOnos heOs tou khristou geneai dekatessares.

pasai == "all", "the whole" (plural)
oun == "so"
hai == I can't find it
geneai == "generations"
apo == "from"
abraam == "Abraham"
heOs == "until"
dauid == "David"
dekatessares == this seems to be an alternative form of "tessareskaideka", which is "fourteen"
kai == "and"
tEs == I can't find it
metoikesias == "captivities"
babulOnos == not precisely the word for "Babylonian" ("babulOnios"), but that's what it probably was meant to be
tou == I can't find it, but this is the word used in Luke that's translated as "son of"
khristou == "anointed"

So all hai generations from Abraham until David fourteen generations, and from David until tEs Babylonian captivities fourteen generations, and from tEs Babylonian captivities to tou anointed fourteen generations.

Like I said, I don't know Greek grammar, but, in a way, this seems like it could be set up in the following manner...

So all the generations:
  • from Abraham to David: 14
  • from David to Babylon: 14
  • from Babylon to Jesus: 14

That's just speculation, of course. But, then, so is what you're doing.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited January 11, 2001).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lower-case omega is written like a w, IIRC.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Brave New World: 'The future sucks. Or does it? Hell if I know. Ooh, LSD!'" - Simon Sizer

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is. But, then, the lowercase mu looks like a 'u', but is still an 'm'. The lowercase eta looks like an 'n', but is still a long 'e'. The lowercase nu looks like a 'v', but is still an 'n'. The lowercase gamma looks like a 'y', but is still a 'g'. The lowercase rho looks like a 'p', but is still an 'r'. The lowercase khi looks like an 'x', but is still 'kh' or 'ch'. He had no problem w/ those.

The lowercase sigma at the end of a word actually looks like an 's', yet he got a 'v' for those.

I should expect you, Frank, of all people, to appreciate such distinctions. What if people started transliterating the 'þ' in Old English words as a 'p', rather than 'th'?

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pen we would have a ping to worry about.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be bad. I just figured I'd suggest where Omega came up with that transliteration.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Brave New World: 'The future sucks. Or does it? Hell if I know. Ooh, LSD!'" - Simon Sizer

Omega
Member # 91

Or maybe I just copied and pasted out of a freely available Greek NT available on the internet? It didn't look right to me, either, but I figured, "Well, these people probably know how to represent Greek characters in English."

Either way, I'm still right. The sentence is still ambiguous, and is thus determined by context. It can mean either one, and thus there's only a conflict if you want there to be.

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited January 12, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is an illogical conclusion. If it is ambiguous as you suggest, then it is open to interpretation and therefore no one is right. Illogic is not a valid debating tactic.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Omega
Member # 91

If it is ambiguous as you suggest, then it is open to interpretation

False. If a statement is ambiguous, it is only open to interpretation insofar as no other information is available. That does not apply to this situation. The statment is ambiguous in and of itself, but when other available information is taken into account, a complete picture of the veracity of the statement can be found.

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe, just maybe, y'all have finally driven this topic so deep into the ground that geologists are eager to search your pockets for samples from the Mohorovicic discontinuity?

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would never have happened if Jesus had been properly defended. His apostles could have laid down some covering fire from their MK11 Heathenfraggers, while he went straight for Judus with his perfectly legal "kisserkilller".

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Or maybe I just copied and pasted out of a freely available Greek NT available on the internet? It didn't look right to me, either, but I figured, 'Well, these people probably know how to represent Greek characters in English.'"

Yet another example of how you'll believe almost anything you read? I mean, apparently, even when your own better (I use that term loosely) judgement tells you otherwise, you'll still believe someone if you think they're an "expert"...

------------------

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited January 13, 2001).]

Omega
Member # 91

So does that mean you have no further argument to make on this topic?

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps