Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » A few brief lessons in Xianity... (Page 12)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A few brief lessons in Xianity...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logic is foreign to me?! That's too funny even to respond to... *LOL*

Anyway, do you realize that your entire arguement is based on "Well, Greek isn't English, therefore, in Greek, the sentence might mean what I want it to..."? Maybe you should do some research and determine what the sentence really does mean, rather than saying "I'm going to assume it means what pleases me, until someone proves otherwise. Then I'll keep believing it, anyway."

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway, do you realize that your entire arguement is based on "Well, Greek isn't English, therefore, in Greek, the sentence might mean what I want it to..."?

Of course I realize that. It's a perfectly good argument. "This sentence can mean "X". "X" is consistant with all other available information. Thus, there is no contradiction between the sentence in question and all other available information." Clear enough?

Maybe you should do some research and determine what the sentence really does mean

And maybe you should do some research and determine what the basic english word "ambiguous" means. It's impossible to know what certain sentences in Latin and Greek REALLY mean, by themselves. I'm sure the same applies to any other language. This sentence is one of them. Thus, your suggestion is meaningless.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, again, you claim that, since you can't know w/ absolute certainty what the author was thinking, you're just going to assume the passage means whatever you want it to mean. That's not a valid method of interpretation.

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since you can't know w/ absolute certainty what the author was thinking, you're just going to assume the passage means whatever you want it to mean.

No, that's NOT what I'm saying. I'm saying that YOU can't do that. A contradiction is when two pieces of evidence flatly contradict each other, and there is no possible resolution. I am pointing out that, since you can not know with ANY degree of certainty, what the author of that one sentence meant, you can not assume that the one meaning that contradicts other sources is the correct one.

It's only a contradiction if you're dealing with the only possible interpretations.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's a plane crash, and one report says 250 people died, and one report says 260 people died, those reports are contradictory, in that they are two statements on the same subject which do not agree.

However, it would probably be more accurate to say that the reports CONFLICT.

On the other hand,
"Thou shalt not committ murder"
and
"Go into this town and mercilessly massacre everybody there, including children"

are contradictory by implication.

And, of course, literal interpretations of "The Four corners of the Earth" and "The Sun stood still in the sky" are CONTRARY to geography and heliocentrism, respectively.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

'Course, if the bible said 250 and 260 people died, Omega would just say that the "250" didn't count a few people, and that it's technically correct anyway because, if 260 people died, then 250 people did die; there are just ten more that died also.

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those other ten were the boring folks.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps